The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer

4 posters

Go down

Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer Empty Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer

Post by frankst237 Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Hello, my first post so if this isn't good enough then apologies!!

I have searched the forum but the search yields LOADS of titles containing key words none of which gave me what I wanted - but I could easily have missed it.

Hopefully a simple question but might not be a simple answer.  The driver's seat of my Peugeot Boxer Symbol 2004 model is a swivel one with the seat being fixed to a square metal plate in which is the swivel mechanism including a hole about 25cm diameter.  This plate is then fastened to the original seat mounting frame using what I assume are the original TORX fasteners in the rear two holes and a replacement nut / bolt in the two front holes.

The battery is under the seat and is impossible to get out of any of the side / front areas under the seat because of physical size of the battery.  I can reach the terminals (from the front) and have detached them but this is using a socket set with an extension on it.  With the fasteners holding the 'rotation base plate' to the original frame I can remove the front two (ordinary bolts and Nylock nuts) and currently I don't have a large enough TORX bit but I can borrow one from an old neighbour.

Is the removal of the seat and rotation plate the correct way to get the battery out or is there a better method / route?

So - any help and pointers appreciated for a novice Motorhome owner appreciated.

Thanks, Frank
frankst237
frankst237

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Peugeot Boxer
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer Empty Re: Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer

Post by Paulmold Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Removal is perhaps the normal way but it weighs a ton, so when I wanted to remove mine (Nuevo with swivel so same arrangement as yours) I removed the front two bolts and the rear torx bolt nearest the door. I only loosened the other rear bolt so I could the swivel the seat on that bolt which gave access without having to get another person to take the weight of the seat. Hope that helps. Welcome by the way.   handshake

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer Empty Re: Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer

Post by Paramedic Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and indeed informative forum as seen by your first speedy reply.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer Empty Re;Symbol 2004 leisure battery removal boxer.

Post by TonyB Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi Frank,my previous van was a 2005 symbol and the seat could be slid far enough forward to get the battery out and easily get to the terminals and fuses.This might be worth checking unless your is bigger than mine was.
Regards
TonyB
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2004 Leisure Battery Removal Boxer Empty RE;SYMBOL 2004 LEISURE BATTERY REMOVAL BOXER

Post by frankst237 Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello responders. Thanks for the welcome and advice. I had already tried sliding the seat fully forward but the metal plate under the seat for the swivel mechanism prevents good access. There is a circular hole in it but not enough is uncovered to get at the battery.
I suspect I will follow the other advice and remove 3 of the fasteners holding this swivel plate and rotate the whole seat and plate mechanism. I have ordered a TORX bit set and will have another go when it arrives and then report back again. Thanks again, Frank
frankst237
frankst237

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frankst237 Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:58 pm

Hello again, I am the initial poster who left the question.  A big THANKS to those who responded because the leisure battery is now out!!!

As per the post from Paulmold, I did as he recommended (removing the two front fasteners in the swivel plate to van mountings), removed the rear fastener (a Torx in my case) on the RH / driver's door side and loosened the other rear fastener enough to give a bit of 'wobble / slack' between the seat assembly and the mountings and simply twisted the seat round hence revealing the battery underneath.  Battery out and all fasteners replaced / tightened ready for storage.

Thanks again for the help, Frank
frankst237
frankst237

Male

Paulmold, Dave D and Roopert like this post

Back to top Go down