The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat

3 posters

Go down

Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat Empty Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat

Post by Min from LFE Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi,
sorry was a new Member earlier this year, but posted nothing.
Had problems getting back onto the Forum, I'm rubbish with passwords!

Getting on well with my 'symphony'.
But maybe a problem with my leisure battery?
4 hours drive back from Devon and 200 miles.
Found Battery not fully charged, had been connected to mains all the time when on site.

Charging it with mains on & van battery charger. Should the charger making a humming noise?
But set off Carbon Monoxide Alarm? Why, I think Hydrogen produced during charging? Seen a comment online. Do i have a fire risk?

Finding access to battery under my drivers seat is almost impossible, and how to remove? Do i have to remove the seat?

Battery is now part charged but cant get it fully charged, as setting off alarm, battery warms up?

DIY or Garage?

Advice please.
Min from LFE
Min from LFE
Min from LFE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony Boxer
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat Empty Re: Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Access to the battery indeed requires removing the drivers seat.
There are four sunken headed allen screws which need removing........you have to slide the seat back and forward and swivel to locate each one.

Do NOT try and lift the seat by yourself....get assistance (experience and very bad back).

Van charger shouldn't particularly make any noise......mine doesn't.
If the battery is not charging when the engine is running, then maybe a fuse has blown.

If the C02 alarm is sounding, it sure sounds like the battery is over gassing.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat Empty Re: Removal of Leisure Battery under drivers seat

Post by rogerblack Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Doesn't the battery have a vent tube going down through the floor to outside the van?  If not it probably should have. If it's gassing under charge then I'd stop charging it! Particularly if as you say the battery is getting unduly warm, there is an explosion risk. Hydrogen gas is highly combustible in any case so not a great idea to let the van fill with it.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down