The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shurflo Water Pump - Symbol

+3
Gromit
Bulletguy
Carver
7 posters

Go down

Shurflo Water Pump - Symbol Empty Shurflo Water Pump - Symbol

Post by Carver Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi
I need to remove the Shurflo water pump from our 2003 Symbol.  It is located beneath the oven but appears that it will be slightly awkward to get to the one pipe connection and the rear mounting screws.
I would be grateful if anyone who has done this on a similar vintage Symbol could tell me the best way to do it.  Is it best to remove the back panel in this compartment that has the fuse box mounted to it ?
Thanks
Carver.
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Shurflo Water Pump - Symbol Empty Re: Shurflo Water Pump - Symbol

Post by Bulletguy Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 am

Carver wrote:Hi
I need to remove the Shurflo water pump from our 2003 Symbol.  It is located beneath the oven but appears that it will be slightly awkward to get to the one pipe connection and the rear mounting screws.
I would be grateful if anyone who has done this on a similar vintage Symbol could tell me the best way to do it.  Is it best to remove the back panel in this compartment that has the fuse box mounted to it ?
Not done it on a Symbol but needed my pump replaced which is also a Shurflo. It's also beneath the oven in the cupboard. There is a panel which covers mine...like felt covered stiffened board which has to be removed to get at the pump. The only way to get to the pipe hose clip screws is by laying on the van floor and i have to admit even though a simple job, it was physically knackering. Doesn't help when suffering arthritis though! I got my son to refit the new one!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Thu May 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks for that.  I was hoping that there was going to be an easy way, but you have confirmed my thoughts, that it is going to be awkward ! censored!
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri May 11, 2018 1:57 am

Carver wrote:Thanks for that.  I was hoping that there was going to be an easy way, but you have confirmed my thoughts, that it is going to be awkward ! censored!
I'm afraid so. Though it only involves undoing two hose clips and a couple of screw bolts holding the pump on, it's just the position of the thing which turns a simple job into an awkward job. I put a couple of cushions down on the floor which helped. A younger fitter guy could simply stoop or kneel to do the job but for me those days are long gone!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am

Just a thought - which could easily be a load of rubbish! rolleyes

Getting it out - you have no option but to struggle, but it might be possible to make putting in the new one a lot easier. Assuming you have push fit piping, could you extend it a bit so the pump is easier to get at?

I expect A/S installed the pump first, then put in the oven, but precisely where the new pump sits is of no consequence, and you might be able to make it easier for yourself?  think_smiley_46
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Fri May 11, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks Dave,
That is a good idea.  up!
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Gromit wrote:Just a thought - which could easily be a load of rubbish! rolleyes

Getting it out - you have no option but to struggle, but it might be possible to make putting in the new one a lot easier. Assuming you have push fit piping, could you extend it a bit so the pump is easier to get at?

I expect A/S installed the pump first, then put in the oven, but precisely where the new pump sits is of no consequence, and you might be able to make it easier for yourself?  think_smiley_46
If Carvers piping is anything like mine A/S had cut both inlet and outlet pipes to such a fine point there was absolutely zero left to extend! I'm all for neat jobs etc but to me that seemed taking penny pinching totally off the scale! Even one more inch on both pipes would have been nice but i didn't even have that!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by laurieym Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Carver
I have exactly the same problem, and the same concerns. I have removed the two front screws, but there appears to be one behind that is inaccessible without removing the back panel to which the circuit breakers and controls for the heater are fixed.  Did you have to do that to get your pump out -- how did it all go?
Bulletguy wrote wrote:Though it only involves undoing two hose clips and a couple of screw bolts holding the pump on, it's just the position of the thing which turns a simple job into an awkward job.
This seems to suggest that there are no rear fixings, but my pump seems very firmly attached when they are removed.  I don't want to apply force if it is being held in place with an inaccessible screw.

Thanks
Laurie
laurieym
laurieym

Male

Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Laurie,
I have been putting it off for a few days, but plan to do the job tomorrow.
By putting my hand around the pump, I can feel that there is definitely, one screw on the far side (right side as you view), but even this would need a short stubby screw driver.
I think that I am going to take the extra time and remove the back panel to give better access.
I will report back tomorrow to let you know how things have gone  up!

I ordered a complete new pump as mine is the original (15 years old) and a service kit is nearly half of the price.

Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Fri May 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Quick update...........

I removed the back of the cupboard (4 screws) as it was virtually impossible to access the water connection on the far side (water inlet) of the pump otherwise.  This panel has the consumer unit and hot water switch mounted onto it, but not wanting to disconnect all of the cables, I swiveled it around and propped it up with a short piece of wood (see photo).

I was then able to access the water connections and mounting screws to allow me to remove the pump from the cupboard, before cutting a couple of wires to complete the removal.

I had bought a new filter with the pump, which was recommended, but the connection on this was a standard 'barbed' fitting, made to fit into a 1/2 inch pipe, so I re-fitted the original filter that has a 1/2 inch threaded fitting.  I'm not sure how one would connect the van's 12mm semi rigid pipework to this.

Anyway, re-fitting the pump was a straight forward reversal of the removal, with the addition of the reconnection of the 2 wires using some standard cable connectors.

The pump works with no leaks (so far) although I do still get the pulsing with small tap openings and some pipe hammering prior to the pump switching off.  A/S originally mounted the pump with the adjusting screw tight up against the cupboard side making it inaccessible.
To remedy this, I intend to fit an accumulator.

I hope this helps.

Carver.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Apologies, I appear to have posted the picture twice, and cannot work out how to remove one of them !
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri May 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Not to worry. I can!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri May 18, 2018 8:35 pm

I find that the pulsing and hammering after the tap is switched off reduces the longer the trip in the van. I think it's mostly down to pockets of air trapped in the system that eventually get vibrated out. Usually after a few fill ups, by day 5 of a trip the pump reacts as it should, on and off instantly.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi Al

That ties in with the experience of friends on here.

They recently had a Shurflo fitted and the water hammer in the bathroom was quite loud. They considered fitting an accumulator, but after a while the noise has diminished so it's no longer a problem.

I guess the suggestion is to leave it a while and see what happens over time.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 am

Appreciate you coming back with an update Carver....some often don't which i find frustrating! My pump was fitted upright on a panel to the rear wall of van side, but something else i noted from your photo which looks very similar to mine.....access is via a drop down door panel. 

If that's anything like mine in the Duetto, i removed that door panel before getting at the pump for a very good reason. The door when opened fully rests on the floor with the hinged part a good 5 inches or more up. One slip and the door gets split in two! It's a poorly thought out way of mounting a door in my opinion.

Glad you got it sorted out though.  up!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by laurieym Mon May 21, 2018 10:42 am

Thank you, Carver.  The picture is very helpful.  I will be doing exactly the same thing next week.
Laurie
laurieym
laurieym

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am

Gromit wrote:Hi Al

That ties in with the experience of friends on here.

They recently had a Shurflo fitted and the water hammer in the bathroom was quite loud. They considered fitting an accumulator, but after a while the noise has diminished so it's no longer a problem.

I guess the suggestion is to leave it a while and see what happens over time.
How interesting! Exactly our experience, although not yet noticed diminution. However, that may be associated with an air-lock issue which has arisen after the installation of the Shurflo: filling via the normal hosepipe filler hole is currently perilous because after a few gallons the eater is hurled back out with volcanic force!  The gauge has also stopped working. So it's back to Willersey on Wednesday.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by petethetug Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 pm

One of my future projects will be to move the pump to the shallow locker under the fridge.  Duetto.

Has anyone else done this ?

PTT.
petethetug

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Excelsior. Automatic
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 pm

petethetug wrote:One of my future projects will be to move the pump to the shallow locker under the fridge.  Duetto.

Has anyone else done this ?
Blimey i'd imagine that to make access even more difficult! Also i'm not sure there would be enough space? Not sure i can see where the benefit is on that one i'm afraid.

My under fridge locker is just used for storing tow rope (which is the flat webbing type), rubber gloves and various other odds 'n ends which don't get used much.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by laurieym Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am

Just a further note to thank you for this post, which was very helpful in helping me to replace my water pump.  The only points I would add to Carver's post are
- I removed the cover to the electric trip switches to give me better access,
- The previously fitted water filter was clean, and so no problem re-fitting it, but it doesn't look to be serviceable so if it was dirty/clogged I would have had to wait to order a replacement; so it's probably sensible to remove the old pump before ordering the new pump and adding a replacement filter to the order if needed.
- The new electrical connections need to be made with crimp connectors and a crimping tool.
laurieym
laurieym

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Laurieym,
Glad that you got it sorted.
I also fitted an accumulator which has stopped the rapid pulsing when the tap is running slowly, but I still get quite a bit of noise from the pipes.  I think that we will have to put up with this.
Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down