The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto Shurflo water pump issue.

5 posters

Go down

Duetto Shurflo water pump issue. Empty Duetto Shurflo water pump issue.

Post by exmoorcamper Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 pm

We are currently away in our Duetto, and have lost water flow to the taps. The pump is running and sounds normal. The water does not seem to be getting drawn to the pump. The clear plastic strainer on the side of the pump is virtually empty. The tank is full and there doesn’t appear to be any leaks. I can only think of an air lock or the pump is worn. I think they are self priming, so scratching my head at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.
exmoorcamper
exmoorcamper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Duetto Shurflo water pump issue. Empty Re: Duetto Shurflo water pump issue.

Post by inspiredron Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Can you try removing the pipe that runs from the tank at the filter and sucking. If no water comes then you have a leak that is allowing the pump to suck air. If you feel suction then it is probably the pump. You can then try switching the pump on and sealing the pump input with a hand or finger to see if you can feel any suction.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:38 pm

In my experience, these pumps are very good, but they get less effective at self-priming as they get older.

However... it does depend on whether the tank was full and it was working, and then it stopped working with the tank still full. If so, it's not so likely to be an airlock.

If the tank was empty or almost empty and refilled and is now not delivering water, it is more likely to be an airlock. Various people use different measures to overcome this - some people open one tap and suck air through it - on mine, I installed an additional in-line impeller pump at the tank outlet, specifically used for priming the main Shurflo.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:11 am

Roopert wrote:In my experience, these pumps are very good, but they get less effective at self-priming as they get older.

However... it does depend on whether the tank was full and it was working, and then it stopped working with the tank still full. If so, it's not so likely to be an airlock.
That's true. Mine packed up about three years ago on the Duetto i used to own. Luckily i was in UK at the time and not that far from home so after running a few checks to no avail, bought a new one. As with most accessory parts i bought from this guy as his prices are excellent and actually cheaper than any local dealer....even with p&p added!  up!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:15 am

Yes, agree with the above comments.

I think your pump is suffering from the same as me . . . old age and general decrepitude!!  uncertain
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down