The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone seen this layout?

+2
Paulmold
RrogerD
6 posters

Go down

Anyone seen this layout? Empty Anyone seen this layout?

Post by RrogerD Mon May 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi,

Had a T25 Pop-top a few years back. Obviously Autosleeper conversion, I don't know the model name, but it had a very clever kitchen layout in a 'U' shape behind the drivers seats and the seating, in an opposite 'U' shape.

I've never seen one since and am trying to find something similar.

It was clever in that you could get up and make breakfast etc whilst the bed was still down.

Has anyone come across anything like this, in any conversion, in modern times?

TIA
RrogerD
RrogerD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler
Vehicle Year : 1985

Back to top Go down

Anyone seen this layout? Empty Re: Anyone seen this layout?

Post by Paulmold Mon May 11, 2020 3:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RrogerD Mon May 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks.
I do like the Vantage. Spent a long time with them at the NEC show. They're just a bit out of our price bracket.
Looking more for something smaller and older, second-hand.
Here's the layout I was referring to (couldn't work out how to post the pics before)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Anyone seen this layout? 20090514
RrogerD
RrogerD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm

I suspect that the main reason that U-shaped seating is not much favoured in smaller vans is that it creates an illusion of a lot of seating, but you cannot practically use much of it - the constraint is that there is not enough space for legs to go, even though there is loads of space for bums to sit!

I wouldn't consider a model like the vantage with no access from cab into the main habitation area. We found it too annoying, because there were always things that you needed from the cab when in the back (and vice versa) which meant opening doors and going out in the rain too often!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Roopert wrote:I suspect that the main reason that U-shaped seating is not much favoured in smaller vans is that it creates an illusion of a lot of seating, but you cannot practically use much of it - the constraint is that there is not enough space for legs to go, even though there is loads of space for bums to sit!
I never understood the U-shaped layout in vans or mh's. I've lost count of the number i've put "fixed end bed" in searches, only to get numerous vans with U-shape lounge. It seems to be a British obsession or peculiarity that appeals to caravan owners who fancy trying mh'ing.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by RrogerD Sun May 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Roopert wrote:I suspect that the main reason that U-shaped seating is not much favoured in smaller vans is that it creates an illusion of a lot of seating, but you cannot practically use much of it - the constraint is that there is not enough space for legs to go, even though there is loads of space for bums to sit!

I wouldn't consider a model like the vantage with no access from cab into the main habitation area. We found it too annoying, because there were always things that you needed from the cab when in the back (and vice versa) which meant opening doors and going out in the rain too often!
Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose you're right re the short of space for legs thing. We had ours when kids were little and so wasn't really a problem. We had the small dog in her cage on the adjacent seat. Just high enough for dog to look out of the window but safe and far enough away to stop kids messing with her.

Re the access from van thing, I'm not sure what you mean? The Vantage vans we saw, you were able to walk from van to 'lounge' via kitchen.

Having the rear seating we feel, just gives a sense of luxury, away from the hustle and bustle going on up front. Plus, they tend to have excellent 270 deg windows and natural light.

Our primary requirement is for one of us to be able get up and make a cuppa, pop to the loo or pop outside without disturbing the other sleeping.
RrogerD
RrogerD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun May 17, 2020 5:36 pm

RrogerD wrote:
Re the access from van thing, I'm not sure what you mean? The Vantage vans we saw, you were able to walk from van to 'lounge' via kitchen.
Ah, apologies. The photos gave the impression that the kitchen part is located between the cab and the rest of the body - I've just misunderstood what I'm looking at!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Roopert wrote:
RrogerD wrote:
Ah, apologies. The photos gave the impression that the kitchen part is located between the cab and the rest of the body - I've just misunderstood what I'm looking at!
I remember seeing a Vantage van where you did have to exit cab and re-enter the habitation area via side door as the kitchen separated the two areas, that must be ten years ago so designs must have changed.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun May 17, 2020 6:00 pm

One reason you may not see too many older Van's with such a layout is that most were built on VW's which are very narrow and therefore have little room for a gang way between cab and the rear. With the advent of the X250 Fiat/Pug/Citroen with approximately 2m of internal width it became more of a practical proposition.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Anyone seen this layout? Empty Vantage Cub

Post by Baggiecamper Sun May 17, 2020 6:59 pm

Paulmold wrote:
I remember seeing a Vantage van where you did have to exit cab and re-enter the habitation area via side door as the kitchen separated the two areas, that must be ten years ago so designs must have changed.
Vantage models: Lux (5m) and Cub (5.4m) are still a current models where the only access to the habitation area is using side door.
I did consider the Cub when I bought my van because initially I was looking at 5m length.
I personally would have requested a build with the Cub shower room being storage only with a porta potty at the bottom.
Eventually I bought the 5.4m Symbol because of the layout and so much facilities, storage and usability.
I imagine the Cub could be used as an every day vehicle and fit most parking spaces, but watch the height barriersĀ  oh_blast!

Vantage:
Lux

Cub

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 pm

We have a rear kitchen in our van and the seats/beds are up front. I have been known to boil a kettle of a morning and make tea, without waking Mrs SDA.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down