The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single beds in a W reg Rambler

+3
Gromit
Paulmold
newterry
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Single beds in a W reg Rambler Empty Single beds in a W reg Rambler

Post by newterry Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm currently helping a newbie who has bought a W reg Rambler on a whim !
We're gradually sorting out the basics and I'm hoping to get sight of the handbook next week.
While I'm waiting for our next meeting -is it possible to set up the sleeping arrangements as singles as this might help get her reluctant partner on more on board?
I'm doing everything I can to deter the owner from throwing in the towel as we all know how life changing having a van can be.

Terry
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Single beds in a W reg Rambler Empty Re: Single beds in a W reg Rambler

Post by Paulmold Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Not conversant with the Rambler, does it have bench seat behind driver and single front facing seat by the sliding door?
Having looked at ones for sale I see it does have the configuration above, so does he have fill in cushions?

Last edited by Paulmold on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra question)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Paul
Yes,there's a front facing seat by the sliding door which folds flat then the bench on the offside slides out to be part of the double bed set up.
I don't know yet if the front seats fold flat or swivel.
Terry

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't know that van at all Terry, except that it was built like a brick outhouse!

If you wish to do so, that should make it far easier to construct any sort of support or bridging piece to make up single beds, even if there's no provision at the moment. It's amazing the difference a hinged flap with a drop down leg can make to a layout.

Good luck in persuading the other half! Whistle1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Dave,
I think the other half might be a lost cause, likes his creature comforts too much !
Still, I'll give it my best shot. I'm surprised how limited the Rambler is, no hot water and toilet in a wardrobe-like cupboard !
Not sure I can sell them the idea of hinged planks etc.
I'll know more next week.
Thanks for your suggestion though.

Terry

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I knew someone who had a Rambler but it was older, I think an F reg, so on a Talbot whereas I assume your friend's one is on a Peugeot.

The Talbot definitely made two singles - as Paulmold suggests, the two side benches - and there was definitely hot water - or I hope there was as it had a shower

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Nope, no shower, and the toilet door has to be unfolded to screen it off from the rest of the van ! I can't remember if there was even wash hand basin in the toilet 'area' .
There's a shallow cupboard above the fridge on the near side, no wardrobe as such.
The gas cylinders are under the near side rear seat.
As you can gather, not my favourite design but I'm trying hard to be positive for her sake and her travel ambitions.
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Sounds like a completely different van to the Talbot version! Hope you get sorted.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Try to keep her positive, are there any hand books available, must be information somewhere,? I know the feeling other half a lost course, In my case I ignored and go anyway.

If it is something that she wants to do, and gives up at this stage she may well regret it later, nothing ventured nothing gained. it is a great life,

I was told I had lost my marbles when I said I wanted a MH, I went ahead, never regretted it , just wish I had done so decades ago. as I would have had longer to enjoy the life.

Good luck, how about her giving a it go for one season, then see how she feels?, plenty of help on here, will meet up with her if that will help.

Regards,
Margaret

My Topaz had the bench seat behind drivers seat and a single one facing the front, N S ,  I had to turn the seats around and they extended the single beds.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topaz)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I have found a 1999   a  V reg Rambler on a Peugeot, at the Lincolnshire Motor caravans ,  similar layout to a Harmony I test drove years ago, , it has a half door which is attached to the full door on the toilet, it goes across the worktop, makes a larger dressing area, I think a few vans have this layout. this one looks in good condition.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Margaret,
Thanks for the interest and information, I'm hoping she will bring the Rambler over to me this week, we're only a few miles away.
I've asked her to bring the big box of paperwork she's got and hopefully there's something in there to help.
Looking back through my AS Magazine/brochure collection there was a Boxer based 'Leisure' in 1995 aimed at first time buyers apparently which was similarly (but not the same) down-specced which shows that the front seats need to be swivelled to make 2 single beds.
The Boxer Rambler seems to have been a short run, probably 2000/1?
I'm going to work on her boundless enthusiasm as she wants to travel here, there and everywhere ! Sorting the beds out will be a major step forward- there always a solution to a problem.

Cheers,
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm

We have had several Ramblers the last one being a Special edition Ruby Rambler on a Y plate the cupboard above the fridge was had clips for glasses and bottles.

The beds Turn both front seats to the rear and lay flat the off side  meets up with the sideways facing seat the near side you fold the rear single seat flat and this meets up with the folded passenger seat these are then two singles the back rest for the side facing seat and the Infill piece for between the front seat can be used to make a large double.

If not too tall leave the front seats Fold the near side seat use the side seat to make a transverse double bed from memory this is only about a 5'8" long bed.

Note if you don't turn the front seats the shaped backrest makes an uncomfortable bed.

Due to changes in seat squabs etc a role up self inflating camping matters is advisable

I must say this van was one of the best we have ever had based on the  1999 SWB boxer with facelift it could fit in anywhere its only drawback the 1.9 petrol engine made it a poor hill climber.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Alf
Thanks for the info, this Rambler has a petrol engine too. The interior finish is definitely a step up from my '99 Harmony but doesn't compensate for the lack of hot water and a proper toilet compartment !
I can now focus on the front seats for single beds. Thanks again, there's hope yet !

Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Here is our Rambler[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]er

Last edited by Alf on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alf
Alf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Alf.
Great picture, I'll print it off.
Thanks
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I had a '94 Fiat 1900 TD Rambler GL which was almost as good as a Symbol. Shower, cassette toilet, oven hob grill hot & cold water Gas heating and double or single beds. My first 'van and 1 of 3 Autosleepers being a Symbol and a Montana
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Biffo
Your spec is a long way away from this one and I'm not surprised the run of Boxer Ramblers seems to have been quite short !

Out of interest, perhaps anyone on the forum with AS factory connections could tell us roughly how many were made?

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Wonder if a previous owner has altered it in some way, to suit their needs at the time. would have thought a van of that age would have had hot water.

It is still luxury compared to a tent. biggrin
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 am

Nope, it's original looking at other Ramblers on auto-trader and there's no evidence of of a hot water heater being removed as there's no patch over where the vent would have been.

I am interested in the date of first registration and the date the van through the Sevel factory, sometimes the gap in time can be quite long.

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Traficlady wrote:Sounds like a completely different van to the Talbot version! Hope you get sorted.

Nora
Agreed Nora I had a Rambler GL on a Talbot ( it was a Fiat 1900 TD but the same thing) a 1994 model and was pretty much the same as a Symphony and Symbol as mentioned earlier. You could have 4 single forward facing seats or two inward facing bench seats or a combination of both and a combination of tables, one large and to square smaller ones.  A double or two single beds plus a kids double up top or a large storage cuboard. Washroom with sink, shower and toilet. Galley with oven, double hob & grill. Sink and drainer. Carver water heater and Truma room heater. A brilliant 'van and no rust at 7 years old. Happy days wink02
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:21 pm

biffobear wrote:
Traficlady wrote:Sounds like a completely different van to the Talbot version! Hope you get sorted.

Nora
Agreed Nora I had a Rambler GL on a Talbot ( it was a Fiat 1900 TD but the same thing) a 1994 model and was pretty much the same as a Symphony and Symbol as mentioned earlier. You could have 4 single forward facing seats or two inward facing bench seats or a combination of both and a combination of tables, one large and to square smaller ones.  A double or two single beds plus a kids double up top or a large storage cuboard. Washroom with sink, shower and toilet. Galley with oven, double hob & grill. Sink and drainer. Carver water heater and Truma room heater. A brilliant 'van and no rust at 7 years old. Happy days wink02
I don't think Auto -Sleepers ever converted any Fiat's in panel van conversions  The Rambles were on Talbot Express and Peugeot Boxers The only Fiat conversion I know to was on a Talisman.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Alf
There were some Fiat based Dorsets and Sussex for Marquis.
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 am

newterry wrote:Hi Alf
There were some Fiat based Dorsets and Sussex for Marquis.
Terry
Terry I will stand corrected then but the Auto-Sleeper model conversion list states only one model as Fiat and the Sussex and Dorset are listed as Peugeot for Marquis.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:29 am

Alf
They must have been early conversions for Marquis, probably not many, there was a Sussex on a Fiat near me a little while ago.
I've got photos of Fiat badged Talbot Executive, Talisman II and Harmony and the Fiat badged Boxer Sussex and Dorset.
If I remember correctly the Fiat badged Sussex and Dorset were a smidge shorter than the equivalent later Boxer based Sussex and Dorset.
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:49 am

I have seen a Citroen Relay with an Auto - Sleeper interior looking at the work and absence of no build.no and poor finish this seemed to be a write off transferred to a plain van.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next