The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto?

+5
kaspian
roli
burlingtonboaby
mikethebike
Greenshipwright
9 posters

Go down

Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto? Empty Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto?

Post by Greenshipwright Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,
Having acquired a lovely new driveaway awning for our 2000 Duetto, we're now wrestling with where to carry it when en route! The shower room is the obvious choice, but then it needs manhandling out if (when!) the loo is called for on our journeys.
I was toying with the idea of a rear storage box, but it feels like a heavy weight to be hanging off the rear door.
Does any member have any experience or tips  on fitting such a contraption on a a twin rear door van?
All advice gratefully received

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto? Empty Re: Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto?

Post by mikethebike Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi No help on the back door fitting. Check with the factory.
I used to carry one under the bed locker on my van.
My current van has room over the cab.We dont sleep there. wave

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto? Empty Re: Fitting a rear storage box on Duetto?

Post by Greenshipwright Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks Micky, 
Considered all those locations, but they would mean finding new space for everything we currently carry there!!
Perennial problem of trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot!!
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Don't know if you have considered another option, fitting  a tow bar and electrics for a Thule easy base and back box. Other manufacturers of back boxes and bases available.
Fitting a tow bar etc is an expensive option,however it can be used to tow a car trailer or tow a car A frame.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenshipwright Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Certainly a thought Boaby, but looking at them previously they aline across the centre of the van, which gets in the way of using the rear doors unfortunately. Being able to use the back entry/exit as well as the side door isn't something I'd want to give up.
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:57 pm

We usually remove the rear Thule assembly when pitched up for a few days or longer, reattach the night before we leave.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:35 pm

[quote="Greenshipwright"]Thanks Micky, 
Considered all those locations, but they would mean finding new space for everything we currently carry there!!
Perennial problem of trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot!![/quote

Thats why hugegrins :hugegrins most of us get a larger motorhome!

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenshipwright Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:57 am

From previous experience, we'd still end up trying to fit too much into it!! hugegrins snigger
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:09 am

I think the Fiamma 320 is the senisble sized box for PVCs and if mounted on a normal bike rack weight has to be watched.  We could not fit the air awning we had in the box (with all the other stuff) as it would be over the weight limit for the carrier.
The suggestion of a towbar mounted box would be better.  There is a firm in W.Yorks that make Aluminium boxes and one of these towbarbar mounted would be a safer idea
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am

Hi , I fitted a large Fiamma box to my Peugeot Boxer van last year for one trip where I wanted to take an inflatable kayak with paddles etc. It bolted onto the existing  Fiamma bike rack which is in turn clamped to the back door. No problem in still using the doors as it opened with the door (just dont try and fold door all the way round!). The large Fiamma boxes do swallow a great deal of kit especially large /awkward but reasonably light items such as camping chairs /tables etc.  Common sense prevails in that I would not fill it with bricks or lead bars however ....  They are not cheap to buy but give the option when required of dry external storage  storage or a place to store damp / wet items outside the van.
     Towbar mounted boxes will possibly carry heavier items but factor in towbar purchase and wiring issues and having to remove on site to access rear door against being able to use the van as normal...without the fafff
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenshipwright Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 am

Thanks for all the useful replies, a lot to think about! think_smiley_46. Good job we're not going to be faced with a decision just yet - at least not until the weather improves enough to use the awning!!
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:24 pm

roli wrote:I think the Fiamma 320 is the senisble sized box for PVCs and if mounted on a normal bike rack weight has to be watched.  We could not fit the air awning we had in the box (with all the other stuff) as it would be over the weight limit for the carrier.
The suggestion of a towbar mounted box would be better.  There is a firm in W.Yorks that make Aluminium boxes and one of these towbarbar mounted would be a safer idea
I had a 320 box on my Duetto and from memory the rack takes a max weight of 35kg, but i doubt it would be big enough to hold an awning even if underweight. Towbar mount is the only way to go for Greenship.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:23 am

I know it’s expensive, but we are considering the Van-Star Swing Away cycle rack. Use it to carry bikes and/or all your outside kit. Costly but it does look well made.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenshipwright Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks OldWomble. I've not seen that one: I'll have a look👍👍
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:33 am

I have a fiamma box fitted to the back nearside door on my transit, I didn't go for the bike rack fitting which I had on my previous van though, I had 2 stainless steel L brackets made which are bolted to the door through rubber blocks, the box is then bolted to the brackets. It allows both doors to open easily and is very secure.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 am

I used a Fiamma box fitted to a bike rack on our original HU Innovation 1 (Transit SWB). Trouble was it had a lifthatch door and even with nothing in it the weight of rack and box nearly overcame the support struts. I found that I could buy a pair of locking struts that held the hatch open, no matter what the load. Trouble was I didn't tell Mrs SDA who tried to swing on the hatch to close it one day. Result - one right angled strut and a hatch hinge mounting twisted out of shape, a very upset wife and a great strain on our marriage.
The box, locking struts and rack were sold within a month and the local body shop repaired the door and hinge beautifully for just £120. Two Morals - don't try to be a clever clogs and not tell the Mrs and don't try to get a quart into a pint pot. Advice to all - be satisfied with the van you have and don't keep buying stuff for it, you'll only get crowded out and dissatisfied.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down