The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storage ideas needed for Duetto

+11
Bulletguy
Harper22
Doris
Paulmold
mikemelson
ejgaking
-mojo-
newterry
Tommy-Darcy
Dutto
sharloid
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty Storage ideas needed for Duetto

Post by sharloid Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:37 pm

We realise that choosing a Duetto for a year long trip means we don't have much storage space but we want to do the best we can.

At the moment one of our top kitchen cupboards is nearly empty. This is because it has a fitted holder for wine glasses and some other odd shaped holes. We don't drink and so it is just a waste of a cupboard as not much else fits in there. Does anyone know how we could make the cupboard usable?

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Photo0667

There's also so unused wall space (!!) that we'd like to use. Are there any hooks/nets/bags etc that we could fit?

Thanks
sharloid
sharloid

Female

Member Age : 34
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty Re: Storage ideas needed for Duetto

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Er ...... take up drinking? up! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sharloid Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Dutto wrote:Er ...... take up drinking? up! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Even if we did we have cups! We don't need any fancy wine glasses... winks
sharloid
sharloid

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:21 pm

We have an older Duetto and are planning a long trip next year. We are going to buy a Fiamma storage bag for the bike rack as our itinerary will not include much time for bike riding and the extra storage will be a god send up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm

OK, to be serious....

..... we decided to buy a trailer; an ERDE 142 that can carry >400kgs but it still hasn't stopped us being ruthless on what we carry inside the van. up!

With regard to the space you have available in the photograph I would measure everything carefully and check out the local Poundsaver for small stackable plastic containers that can carry spices. When I'm cooking I never seem to have enough spices available; and then a day later I find what I was looking for tucked away under the cooker or the fridge!! tap_fingers

Unfortunately (?) we do drink and therefore our cupboard has a couple of wine glasses in it! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS One other useful bit of kit is a collapsible multi-layer net that hangs up outside when we are parked up and holds all our fruit and veg. up!

Last edited by Dutto on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Have you checked out the void behind the toilet compartment facing the nearside back door ?
If you tap the panel it will sound quite hollow.
In my Harmony there is sufficient room to store levelling blocks, mains cable and other assorted bits and bobs.
You will need to be brave to cut an access panel out (re-using the cut out for a door) but with a bit of moulded trim and some No Nails it can be done.
Might be worth gently prising the panel open from the gangway side to assess the available space and whatever you do stay away from any pipework.
You could take the panel off altogether and install lipped shelves, I've seen that done before.

AS used to be able to add a cupboard over the nearside passenger seat where, in the Harmony, there is a drop down flap. Not sure if they're still doing it or whether there's potential in a Duetto ?

I've also replaced the overcab bulkhead with a cargo net which gives a bit more flexibility with that space.

Good luck with your journey. up!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by sharloid Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:24 pm

newterry wrote:Have you checked out the void behind the toilet compartment facing the nearside back door ?
In my Harmony there is sufficient room to store levelling blocks, mains cable and other assorted bits and bobs.
You will need to be brave to cut an access panel out (re-using the cut out for a door) but with a bit of moulded trim and some No Nails it can be done.
Might be worth gently prising the panel open from the gangway side to assess the available space and whatever you do stay away from any pipework.
You could take the panel off altogether and install lipped shelves, I've seen that done before.

AS used to be able to add a cupboard over the nearside passenger seat where, in the Harmony, there is a drop down flap. Not sure if they're still doing it or whether there's potential in a Duetto ?

I've also replaced the overcab bulkhead with a cargo net which gives a bit more flexibility with that space.

I don't think Rob would let me have a go at that!

We're looking for nets etc that we could stick up but I've only found them at about £9 a pop which is a bit much for me. Seems a good idea to replace the overhead with a net - especially for bed covers and pillows. We also store our fold up chairs and table up there so I'm not sure how a net would hold up.

I think we'll try removing the glasses holder and see what else we can squish in.
:)
sharloid
sharloid

Female

Back to top Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty Slightly "Off-topic" but still use of space!

Post by Dutto Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:55 pm

newterry wrote:Have you checked out the void behind the toilet compartment facing the nearside back door ?

Hi there,

A slightly 'off-topic" post but I must investigate!

If "Petal" has this amount of room I am more interested in using the space to install a macerator pump (and the relevant piping) to allow me to empty the toilet cassette without having to hump the cassette itself about!

Do you know if anyone has done this?

A "tugger" friend of mine took the "emptying arm" off his cassette and fitted a macerating pump in the space that was left. If I had his skill I would attempt the same system but everything was such a tight fit that I decided against it.

However, with the promised extra space and side access to the cassette compartment .................. ??

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty RE: STORAGE IDEAS NEEDED FOR DUETTO

Post by newterry Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Dutto, steady on ole son, there's still the actual bathroom wall to penetrate to get pipework from the cassette into the void, on the Harmony that floor to ceiling wall forms part of the flush tank, I suppose you could get access at floor level without compromising the waterproof integrity of the bathroom. Don't know if I'd be that brave and I don't know enough about a Duetto's bathroom structure but it's worth having a look.
The wooden panel facing the back door was fairly easy to get off, it's only panel pinned and was just as easily returned to it's original position- gently does it !

Sharloid, if you're going to remove the overcab bulkhead, and it's well worth the effort, there were 24 corner brackets holding mine in place and I suggest you keep the brackets attached to the bulkhead and undo the screws in the surrounding panels. This makes re-instating the bulkhead a lot easier at a later date. Mine was also attached to the upper trim rails so you might have to do a bit of 'fiddling'- it sounds worse than it was.
You will also need some light and flexible limbs ! I'd also suggest removing the door flap so to remove the risk of getting a flat back of the head !! The cargo net is a stock item from AS spares IF0504 'Bunk Net' 120mm x 300mm £22.55 (exc VAT and Del) . The elastic cords can be shortened (by knotting) and I hooked mine over some brass door coat hooks turned at right angles and screwed to the inside sides of the bulkhead.
This is all based on a 1998 Harmony, your van may differ in structure.allthumbz

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

newterry wrote:I'd also suggest removing the door flap so to remove the risk of getting a flat back of the head !!

One of my favourite and simplest mods that I've done to mine - having had that heavy door flap come down on my head for about the 6th time and draw blood - is to drill a hole through the overlapped part of the stay so that I can put a pin through (actually just the head and top part of a small bolt) to lock it in the open position, plus a second hole in the non-overlapped part to store the pin in when closed.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty RE: STORAGE IDEAS NEEDED FOR DUETTO

Post by newterry Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Nice one Mojo, I've used home-made wooden props in the past, also useful to keep a Fiamma back box lid up as well- ouch !!

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 am

Don’t forget that after you have added storage boxes and stuffed your vehicle to the gunnels that it should not exceed its maximum authorised mass (MAM) found in the owner’s manual or shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle, including yourselves. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Oddsnends wrote:Don’t forget that after you have added storage boxes and stuffed your vehicle to the gunnels that it should not exceed its maximum authorised mass (MAM) found in the owner’s manual or shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle, including yourselves. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi there,

I agree. allthumbz

Further to the above, before we left for Spain last year we took "Petal" to our local Public Weigh-bridge and were amazed to discover just how close to the MAM we were when we were onboard and "Petal" was full of fuel and water and loaded for six months away from home!

It severely restricted the amount of booze we could bring back from Spain this Spring because the boat we tow (worth an additional 250 litres of wine in weight allowance!) had been stored in France for the winter. As a result of this shortfall we ran out of spirits nearly a month ago (sob! sob!); but the good news is that we won't take the boat this year as we have bought a trailer that will accompany us all the way to Spain!

In the Sheffield area you have plenty of Public Weigh-bridges so check out:http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sheffield/metrology.htm

Each session costs about £7 and for that you get a single printed copy of the weight. I consider it definitely worth doing if only for your own peace of mind.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty Storage in a Duetto

Post by ejgaking Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 am

Hi
We have a 2005 Duetto and one of the most useful starage additions are seat back storage covers. These are so easy to fit, just drop them over the seats and tie at the bottom. They are great for all the bits and bobs that you need at hand. Easy to get from car accessory shops.
up!
ejgaking
ejgaking
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:04 pm

I have a Symbol which is very similar in layout to a Duetto, the previous owner has enlarged the overcab locker by bringing back the front assembly including the flap by about 6ins almost to the strip light. As the front of the locker tapers to almost nothing, this extension effectively doubles the size of the cupboard. I can post piccies of this if anyone is interested.

Utilising the back area of the washroom is also a good idea, I haven't got round to this yet, not figured how to make a professional job of it.

You could fit an underslung LPG tank that you fill up via an external filler cap. This would free up your gas locker for much needed storage.

The previous owner of my van had an ingenious idea for an extra work surface. A tray with drop down bracket that fits into an applied metal channel fixed to the woodwork on the left of the cooker above the sofa, when not in use this folds flat & travels behind the sofa back cushion. Here again, I can post a snap of this set-up.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:06 pm

mikemelson wrote:The previous owner of my van had an ingenious idea for an extra work surface. A tray with drop down bracket that fits into an applied metal channel fixed to the woodwork on the left of the cooker above the sofa, when not in use this folds flat & travels behind the sofa back cushion. Here again, I can post a snap of this set-up.

Could you please post pics of this set-up, I like the sound of that.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Empty Storage bags

Post by Doris Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi
We use cloth shopping bags hung over the front seats. These have the advantage that we had collected them for nothing at various exhibitions and they were taking up space in the house. We use then for the newspaper, suduko pencil, kindle and specs at night, etc.
They certainly help to keep Doris tidy.
Louise
Doris
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Doris wrote:...........

We use cloth shopping bags hung over the front seats. These have the advantage that we had collected them for nothing ............. they were taking up space in the house.

Loiuse,

I think I married your clone! wave wave

Yesterday we went shopping on the bikes. When I opened the rucksack we take for shopping I discovered another FOUR bags inside! Whistle1

I remember complaining that they were taking up space in the hall at home about a week ago; now they are not!! tap_fingers

However, being an experienced married man, I will now hang two of them over the backs of the seats and then put the other two inside them! Whistle1

Sorted! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 pm

That sounds genius idea (rear bathroom wall) you couldnt post up a few pics could of how it looks after modification?
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Paulmold wrote:
mikemelson wrote:The previous owner of my van had an ingenious idea for an extra work surface. A tray with drop down bracket that fits into an applied metal channel fixed to the woodwork on the left of the cooker above the sofa, when not in use this folds flat & travels behind the sofa back cushion. Here again, I can post a snap of this set-up.

Could you please post pics of this set-up, I like the sound of that.

Hi Paul,
Apologies for delay, had problems getting the snaps on, still don't know if I've got it right but here goes!

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Spainspring2011079-3

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Spainspring2011077-2

It's not strong enough for cutting hard vegetables etc. I use another board for heavy work which rests on a polished batten fixed to the washroom wall at one end & the protruding top edge of the fridge at the other, but this collapsible worktop is ideal for resting utensils, pots & pans, breakfast things etc. & putting drinks & nibbles on when I couldn't be bothered to get the table out.
Hope this is of interest,
Mike.

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  Spainspring2011078-2

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 am

sharloid wrote:We realise that choosing a Duetto for a year long trip means we don't have much storage space but we want to do the best we can.

A year long trip??? Blimey!

Most I manage at one stretch is three months in the summer and for what is no more than a Campervan, i'd say that's the max i'd go.

Good luck!!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:39 am

mikemelson wrote:Hi Paul,
Apologies for delay, had problems getting the snaps on, still don't know if I've got it right but here goes!

It's not strong enough for cutting hard vegetables etc. I use another board for heavy work which rests on a polished batten fixed to the washroom wall at one end & the protruding top edge of the fridge at the other, but this collapsible worktop is ideal for resting utensils, pots & pans, breakfast things etc. & putting drinks & nibbles on when I couldn't be bothered to get the table out.
Mike.

Thanks for putting the photos on, looks good. I am also interested in the other worktop you mention across from the washroom wall. How is the batten fastened? My fear is that the washroom wall is so thin, any weight might rip the screws out.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Paulmold wrote:
mikemelson wrote:Hi Paul,

Mike.

Thanks for putting the photos on, looks good. I am also interested in the other worktop you mention across from the washroom wall. How is the batten fastened? My fear is that the washroom wall is so thin, any weight might rip the screws out.

This section of the washroom wall is fairly substantial, the polished batten is carefully glued on & cramped with large 'G' clamps & fixed with screws through the uprights of the framework at the ends of the batten. There are no screws through the washroom wall.

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  012

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  011

Storage ideas needed for Duetto  014

I have found this tray strong enough for the heaviest chopping & cutting, with this & the folding worktop & the sink top we have plenty of room for preparing full scale meals.
These two worktops travel behind the back cushion of the setee & when the bed is down they stash on top of the cooker.
Hope this is of use.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Nice job that, looks good & well made, impressed wave

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Thats really good, thanks. Given me the incentive now to do the same.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next