The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket reversing sensors

+4
Brian M
RogerThat
Crystalvoyager
Mogzee
8 posters

Go down

Aftermarket reversing sensors Empty Aftermarket reversing sensors

Post by Mogzee Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Hello all, Has any fitted one of these systems to their van and if so would you recommend it ? Thank You
Mogzee
Mogzee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket reversing sensors Empty Re: Aftermarket reversing sensors

Post by Crystalvoyager Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 pm

I've fitted them to my SUV and my van. The sensors work great on the car but a disaster on the van. Nothing wrong with the sensors, it's the van. My problem is there is a backstep so nowhere to mount the sensors properly. Mount them above on the step and they pickup the bike rack and look rubbish. I tried them underneath but being so low they were bleeping if there was a bump in the road. I removed them in the end. For a pvc I would think a camera would be better than sensors. If a coach built and you have no obstructions then I would say go for it.
Crystalvoyager
Crystalvoyager

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 pm

Is retro fitting the OEM ones a DIY job?

Not something I've ever looked in to, curious now though!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian M Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 pm

I have fitted them to my Executive and my Audi A4. A bit fiddly to fit but wouldn't be without them now. I fitted the kit on ebay being sold as item No. 392383705902 for £8.45. There is an audible bleep that gets quicker the closer you get to something and at about 400mm goes into a constant sound. There is also a visual display. They pick up a supply from your reversing light and you need to run a wire (supplied) through the van to the dashboard mounted display.

Brian.
Brian M
Brian M

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:59 pm

We had the Peugeot dealer fit them to our Boxer. It was expensive but meant we didn’t risk upsetting the canbus electronics system. 

The sensors have proved well worth having.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:53 pm

I have fitted them to two PVCs and two cars. It's not a difficult job technically,but routing the wires to the control box can be problematic (but not impossible) if you have to mount them on the rear doors.
I would always choose a sound-only system to avoid the need to run cables the full length of the van to the bulkhead.  You can usually mount the control box in the nearest bunk seat or cupboard and run the buzzer cable about halfway to the cab. They make enough noise to wake the dead.  In every case I picked up the 12v power for the control box from the nearest reversing light  The kit always includes installation advice and a hole saw of the correct diameter for the mounting holes.   I would never be without them on a long vehicle.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:49 am

I would not see any problems fitting sensors in the rear bumber, but dont you have a reversing camera on it ?
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogzee Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:11 am

scratch head Hi Roli. , Yes we do but if you saw how the neighbours park around where I back out of my drive you would understand  happyno happyno
Mogzee
Mogzee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote: It's not a difficult job technically,but routing the wires to the control box can be problematic (but not impossible) if you have to mount them on the rear doors.
I would always choose a sound-only system to avoid the need to run cables the full length of the van to the bulkhead.  You can usually mount the control box in the nearest bunk seat or cupboard and run the buzzer cable about halfway to the cab. They make enough noise to wake the dead.  In every case I picked up the 12v power for the control box from the nearest reversing light  The kit always includes installation advice and a hole saw of the correct diameter for the mounting holes.   I would never be without them on a long vehicle.
Keith
Wired my sound-only system similar to Keith, with a few exceptions. The control box is situated inside the reversing light compartment. The buzzer is fitted inside, above the rear doors. The noise from the buzzer, when detecting an obstacle, is sufficient to hear for the person in the driving seat.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down