The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parking Lens on Symbol

+5
murph
Admin
ki
Paulmold
elijay
9 posters

Go down

Parking Lens on Symbol Empty Parking Lens on Symbol

Post by elijay Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Just ordered one on Ebay, I've not used one before, when it comes to placing it on the rear door glass where would be best?

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Parking Lens on Symbol Empty Re: Parking Lens on Symbol

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:06 pm

I am also getting one of these so I too would be interested as to where to mount it.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 am

Hoping there will be instructions on the pack.

My prob is having the step at the back, I'm terrified of reversing too far so I leave too big a gap.

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 am

If this is the Fresnel rearview lens that you are referring to then it needs to be placed on your back window so that you can see through it from your driving position.

Like any diverging lens it will increase your field of vision at the expense of image size.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex-Symbol.
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello elijay

This website may shed a bit more light on mounting the lens: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It states: The lens is positioned on the opposite side to the driver, about 15cm (6″) from the end so it does not interfere with your view in the interior mirror.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Parking Lens on Symbol Empty reversing lens

Post by murph Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:06 pm

I had one on our van, cheap but it wasn't very clear, I now have reversing sensors fitted which I prefer even to a reversing camera.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Admin wrote:It states: The lens is positioned on the opposite side to the driver, about 15cm (6″) from the end so it does not interfere with your view in the interior mirror.

Opposite side to driver on a van conversion puts it behind the bathroom! On my Harmony I've had one positioned centrally in the offside window as low as possible, essentially in contact with the rubber seal along the lower edge. It's been useful and still works after 16 years, but is far from ideal. Essentially when viewed through the rear view mirror it forms too smaller proportion of the whole image, because the distance from mirror to rear door is too great for the size of it really.

I bit the bullet recently and fitted an eBay £55 reversing camera which has made a big difference, particularly at night when the IR LEDs illuminate the scene behind you.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Opposite side to driver on a van conversion puts it behind the bathroom!

That's what went through my mind!! But mustn't criticise when people are trying to be helpful.

Maybe I should get reversing sensors fitted?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 pm

My only reservation with reversing sensors is that I suspect they would be positioned on the plastic mouldings below your rear lights, at each side of the rear of the van. From this position they will not take the extra protrusion of the rear step, nor the zone immediately behind it, into consideration. I suppose it all depends on the sensors' fields of view and at which distance the beeps become continuous. I don't think it practical to mount reversing sensors on the underside of the step: sooner or later you would inevitably bend them against a low bank, as I've done with my trailer electrical connection many times!

There is another issue with Rev Cams too: I use mine when driving as an additional rear view mirror, not just for reversing. This is particularly useful 'sur le continent' when you really need to see behind the bathroom for traffic overtaking you. However if you set the camera up for optimum rear view it is angled a little too high to see the rear step. My intention is to now fit two cameras - one horizontal and one pointing downwards - and switch between them at the monitor, or to link the downward one to the reversing lights so it comes on in R and causes the monitor to switch automatically when the second signal arrives (the standard cheapo monitor has two inputs). OTT perhaps, but with cameras less than £20 it becomes a practical proposition.

Another reversing camera tip: before setting-off at night, clear the cobwebs off the lens, otherwise the IR LEDs illuminate them and they become really distracting!

Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:34 pm

I use my long suffering wife, Helen.

Extremely accurate, almost foolproof and someone to blame if it all goes wrong!

Recommended above all other reversing devices.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround

PS And really quick if it is raining!

Last edited by Dutto on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm

After bending a low bollard while reversing I fitted sensors in the plastic rear 'bumper' of our Symbol.There are four and their position in the moulding is critical, there is a metal support strip immediately behind it which you have to miss. I have a towball fitted but no step. I got the sensors from Europarts, it cost around £25 if I remember rightly. It can be adjusted to account for a bike on the back so maybe a step could be accommodated. I find it really useful and miss not having one on the car.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:27 am

This is starting to get complicated. For starters tis just me, I have no one to act as lookout.

Something fitted would need to be almost invisible otherwise the local scumbags would vandalise it.

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:49 am

Hi Elijay

Since you are after a parking aide I think your best option is to fit a high-mounted wide angle camera as this will give you the security of seeing what you are about to back into rather than relying on the sensors to warn you. I have both on my Symbol and I know which one I would choose if I had to decide. Don’t go for the wireless camera option and fit it high rather than low.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks Keith, what make of camera is fitted to your van?

Best wishes, Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Liz

I am not sure of my brand, or whether it is available in the UK, as it was fitted by the dealer that I purchased my Symbol from. It is basically a cheap CMOS camera used with a 7” TFT display. It produces acceptable results but nothing amazing. The display is good but I intend replacing the camera with a better quality CCD type at some later stage.

There are quite a few different camera options (and displays) available and I think you should check out some of these in operation in motorhomes before deciding on the one to purchase. Look for good weather protection, sun-shading, night time capabilities, etc. Avoid the wireless models and those that fit low down.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Liz,
We had a Fresnel lens on a Clubman several years ago and it done the job, but we have a camera on our Lancashire, which is much better, one thing though, we park on the road and we have scumbags by us, so I opted for a monitor that clips over the interior mirror, not fixed to the dashboard as they can't tell the difference between a 7 inch monitor and a T.V set, the clip over monitor looks at a glance like an interior mirror, the only giveaway is a cable coming from under the cab roof lining, of course the monitor is smaller, but you soon get used to it. just a thought.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Parking Lens on Symbol Empty reversing sensors

Post by murph Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 pm

My sensors start with a visual reading from 2 to 1 1/2 metres depending on the angle at which you are approaching the obstacle and go to an audible toneas well, at about a metre. The first time you use them, carefully reverse up to a wall untill you have 1 metre reading get out and take a look and gradually decrease untill your step is close to the wall you then use this reading as the lowest you can go. But beware some very cheap systems do not give a reading untill you are very close, some under 1/2 a metre. Have them fitted by a reputable firm and heed thier advice. Mine cost about £100 if I remember correctly.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:26 am

Liz

Pete makes a good point about the mounting on the dashboard and how it can be confused with a gps or TV and thus a target for thieves. I have my display fitted above the rear mirror and under the parcel shelf so it is not as obvious as the dash mounted displays. The clip on mirror type could be your answer.

Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Been driving around with it for a while now, I'm very happy with my parking lens. I helps me park a bit better and the view from behind as I'm driving is greatly improved.

Back to top Go down