The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC?

+7
Lorfal
RogerThat
kaspian
Paulmold
Gromit
Tinwheeler
Dbvwt
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC? Empty Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC?

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:48 pm

I’ve not bothered with the reversing camera yet as my Garmin is still in the box, to be honest I’ve found reversing the Symbol a lot easier than I thought I would.
Reversing sensors however would be a nice simple aid and wouldn’t involve the Garmin and wires everywhere (I realise they would only pick up low level obstacles but I’m fine with that).
I’ve fitted sensors to a couple of cars in the past which was a pretty simple job, I just wondered if there was anything with the Boxer that would make it more tricky?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC? Empty Re: Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC?

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

The Canbus system could be tricky and we had reversing sensors fitted by the Peugeot commercial dealership for that very reason. It cost an arm and a leg but was done by those who understood the electrics and no conflicts occurred. 

They do make parking easier, epecially when there’s no driver's mate to assist, as the reversing camera isn’t much use at all.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC? Empty Re: Anyone fitted reversing sensors to a PVC?

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks, the canbus was my main thought. I’m sure my VW T5 had canbus though and it was just a matter of tapping into the reversing light and also picking up a 12v feed??

Last edited by Dbvwt on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:11 pm

You need Mojo or Peter Brown for this.

I'm useless at electronics, but I'm sure I read (on here) that the lights are not controlled by the canbus system. No idea about picking up a 12 volt feed, but if nothing else I guess you could take it from the cigarette lighter socket.

Better wait for someone who knows better than me - which is not difficult.  so_sad
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks Dave, if I remember (it was 6 years ago and I have trouble remembering 6 months back!) there was also a permanent 12v feed behind the light cluster in the VW making it a simple job.
Will wait for those that know.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm

On the lwb boxer , as in Warwick/Sussex Duo there is a 12v cigar socket just inside rear doors. Even if you don't have the socket , there may well be the cabling there if they use common loom.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Dbvwt, I have never had the need to mess with rear light clusters on this van but a simple removal of a reversing light bulb will probably tell if it is included on can bus bulb failure ccts. Having fitted sensor kits to cars in the past , you normally frommemory need an earth, a switched live feed and a tapping to the reversing light to switch the sensors on when selecting reverse.  Manufacturers are now calculating to the strand what size of wire is required to supply a cct load wise so beware of piggy backing any power hungry item from any unknown wire in the existing  loom.
      Personally I found the sensors in my Transit a fantastic help compared to the previous model without but the reversing camera beats the sensors 100 times over. Being able to place a towball directly under the hitch of a heavy trailer with millimetric precision is a boon.I never did trust the frantic beeping where a dash monitor shows exactly the distance between you and that expensive mistake. If you want I can go to the van and investigate but beware my van is a 2014 x250 and there may well be changes!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:44 pm

The wireless Garmin camera system is taped in to the +12v on the reversing lamp, so if I were you I'd use the exact same source for the sensors too up!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks everyone.

Just been on the website of the place I’ve bought previous sensors from and it seems I don’t even need a permanent 12v feed, just a tap into the reversing light (hopefully this is a simple non canbus setup) and a ground.
Kaspian..understand your thinking but having the Garmin and the wires permanently getting in the way would do my head in!!

Last edited by Dbvwt on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:49 pm

I thought all new AS Types had reversing cameras installed ? Is it an ad on? Ours has the hardware in place and the garmin ‘talks to it’ wirelessly?.. so we have the reversing camera in situ and there doesn’t seem to be any wires....just a think black sensor thingy jiggling about.
 So what I’m thinking if the actual rear camera is there, there should t be any wires ? Dunno though....just a thought
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 pm

I fitted sensors to our Warwick. Got them on ebay and fitting was very easy.

When you remove the rear bumper you will see there are pre marked positions for the sensors, you just have to drill them out to the right size and fit them.

Not knowing your van, but on the Warwick Duo the charger, battery etc is by the rear doors, I just picked up a 12v feed and the trigger wire I just spliced onto the reverse lamp wire. I mounted the buzzer under the rear seat. This was done some 2 years ago and has not caused any problems todate and works very well. Read the instructions with regard to distance etc when reversing as on mine they could be adjusted, oh and they can come colour matched.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Lorfal, the camera is indeed fitted and wires hidden. It’s the power lead for the Garmin that will drive me mad draped across the dashboard!! Probably doesn’t bother most people.

rgermain, think I will be fine going by your experience. My VW also had the sensor markings on the inside of the bumper. Sounds like you may have used the same supplier that I have used a couple of times in the past. Good company and the staff know what they are talking about.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Dbvwt on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Lorfal, the camera is indeed fitted and wires hidden. It’s the power lead for the Garmin that will drive me mad draped across the dashboard!! Probably doesn’t bother most people.

rgermain, think I will be fine going by your experience. My VW also had the sensor markings on the inside of the bumper. Sounds like you may have used the same supplier that I have used a couple of times in the past. Good company and the staff know what they are talking about.

Hi, yes just jogged my old memory, that's the firm I used. Still working after 2 years so seem to be well made and reliable. up!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:52 pm

Don’t have any visible wires. The garmin sits in the cup holder bit on one of the specially designed cup holder garmin thingy. Esstentially it is a cup with a flat lid that takes the sucker....the bit that normally attaches to the windscreen. It’s a great little bit of kit that was recommended on this forum. Personally can’t stand stuff stuck to the windscreen. I like unobstructed views....and no wires hugegrins

I am aware your dash might be different from mine.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 am

You will need the buzzer at the front of the van as you may not hear it from the back. I fitted cheapo eBay kit (about £20) designed to be CANBUS compatible I needed four wires frlm front to back. Two for the buzzer plus it ignition controlled 12V + and Review light switch trigger, both piggy backed into existing camera connections under the cool glovebox in front of passenger. I used 8 core domestic burglar alarm cable with control unit on floor under kitchen drawers at rear and cable run under the van with existing loom. Cheap unit was false economy. It works well but range is only half metre which is a bit too close for assurance.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks Ron, will give the company I’ve used before a bell and see what they say, as I mentioned the people there know their stuff but good to get info from here before I call. Their kits are aftermarket but work well, I could also hear the beep from the back of my VW which was only a bit shorter than the Symbol.

Lorfal, I like that idea  smile! Might make this tread completely redundant!
Do you have any worries about thieving gits or do you not leave it on display?

Last edited by Dbvwt on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am

Hi Suspect you’ve worked this out but just to say I’ve done this on an earlier van - still Canbus - easy to do and didn’t cause any issues.. the kit even came with a circular cutter the right size.  

Cost me £16 in total to fit and Peugeot gave me £300 extra on the trade in because they were fitted
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 am

I’m just kinda thinking why go to expense and bother running in further cables to a reversing sensor and trying to hide them.....for the purpose of not seeing cables from the garmin. To me, the garmin with reversing camera engaged works fine......providin* camera is not misted over from outside.

So I removed it from the window to the cup holder on the left , and the 12v cable goes into the socket immediately beside it, cables are easily hidden by winding around either device or holder. It looks neater, easily accessible , and in a great place for my co pilot lol.

It’s a little less visible from the outside as it’s further down on the dash , it’s easy to remove and stick in glove box if needed when parked up.

Again I’m assuming the cab areas in newer vehicles are similar?
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks Robinwid, good to know it is probably as easy as I hoped.

Lorfal, think I may go down your route first and see how I get on.
Is this the item, can’t seem to find many on the net so any links would be welcome.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:09 am

Dbvwt wrote:Thanks everyone.

Just been on the website of the place I’ve bought previous sensors from and it seems I don’t even need a permanent 12v feed, just a tap into the reversing light (hopefully this is a simple non canbus setup) and a ground.
Its some time ago I purchased a cheapo reversing censor from ebay. Censor cable was tapped into the 12v lead that goes behind the light cluster to the reversing light.  Buzzer fitted neatly inside the rear of the van. I have no problems with hearing the beep coming from the rear of the van. Works well when reversing, supported with the limited view I receive from the reversing camera.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:40 am

Lorfal, that plan may have hit the buffer. I was hoping there would be a 12v socket low down but there isn’t. 
Even a short visible cable run would annoy me ha ha!

Edit..I must learn how to insert pictures!

Fixed it for you. This might be useful. (Gromit)

Last edited by Gromit on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:35 pm

MelB wrote:
Dbvwt wrote:Thanks everyone.

Its some time ago I purchased a cheapo reversing censor from ebay. Censor cable was tapped into the 12v lead that goes behind the light cluster to the reversing light.  Buzzer fitted neatly inside the rear of the van. I have no problems with hearing the beep coming from the rear of the van. Works well when reversing, supported with the limited view I receive from the reversing camera.

Same here, no problem hearing it from the rear and did the fit like you. Some threads on here seem to be going a bit complicated, when it really is a sensored1 to fit, yes really is.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks everyone, now how does that rear bumper come off......  hugegrins

Last edited by Dbvwt on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Yep, that’s the one . It’s not so bad really.......I barely notice the cable lol
Oh it’s not the low down cup holders I use, it’s the one at the 12 v socket......good luck though with your bumper removal *gulp*
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:09 pm

@Dbvwt I have the same dashboard as you - I hard wired my Garmin sat nav / camera and a dash cam to the back of the fag lighter socket - no visible wires and it keeps the sockets free for other gadgets too!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next