The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

high roof trim removal

+2
CC
mal6186
6 posters

Go down

high roof trim removal Empty high roof trim removal

Post by mal6186 Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 pm

How easy would it be to remove the trims that cover the join between van and high roof on my 1993 trident - there is rust staining coming from under them at top of windsceen pillars and I want to investigate. Are they glued on? There is a small'cap' at end above windscreen which may be covering a screw or something. Ant advice appreciated.
mal6186
mal6186

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

high roof trim removal Empty Re: high roof trim removal

Post by CC Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Mal

I'm not entirely sure but ours fits quite lose and only appears to be secured with those screws with the caps on, as I can get a finger behind ours in places. If you can get the screws out without causing any damage I'd remove them then see if it lifts away? I've often wondered whats behind it, know it covers the seam between the GRP roof where it meets the metal body but would be curious to know how it looks behind the cover. If you do manage to get it off maybe you could show us a pic?

up!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by gills Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I think the side ones are screwed on, but I'm not sure if they're stuck on too. The rear section of ours is partially broken, where a cycle rack was fitted, and there is evidence of a black mastic type sealant on the roof, where the cover once was. It may be that even with the screws out it would need carefully prying away to remove.

Iet us know what's under there if you do get it off!
gills
gills

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 am

gills wrote:I think the side ones are screwed on, but I'm not sure if they're stuck on too. The rear section of ours is partially broken, where a cycle rack was fitted, and there is evidence of a black mastic type sealant on the roof, where the cover once was. It may be that even with the screws out it would need carefully prying away to remove.

Iet us know what's under there if you do get it off!

Hi Gills

By what I've seen on mine I would that yours is a very good description of how they are secured

I actually took the screws out of mine and then used them to secure my awning J Rail against the plastic triims - The trims did't budge at all in the short time the screws were off

Cheers

Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by mal6186 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

I,ve had a look and removed screws but they are not budging so must be stuck on. I'm going to leave it until after summer now as don't want to take them off and risk damaging them or making a big job for myself untilI don't really need to use van - ie over the winter.
mal6186
mal6186

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

high roof trim removal Empty Has anyone found out yet?

Post by Jessie Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Rain is getting into the cab on my Vito-based Montana high top. The windscreen people think it is seeping in throught the join between the GRP high top and the van . Has anyone as yet worked out how to remove the plastic guttering that runs the whole length of the 'van between the two? Has anyone spoken to Auto-sleeper?
Jessie
Jessie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:13 pm

mal6186 wrote:How easy would it be to remove the trims that cover the join between van and high roof on my 1993 trident - there is rust staining coming from under them at top of windsceen pillars and I want to investigate. Are they glued on? There is a small'cap' at end above windscreen which may be covering a screw or something. Ant advice appreciated.

Can't help you with the covers but I'm reliably informed that lavender keeps away the ants.....................

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

high roof trim removal Empty Definitive solution to leaking high tops

Post by Jessie Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Don't even attempt to remove guttering yourself. Get it done, like I did, by the professionals. The guttering is "glued" on by the sealant used by Auto-Sleeper to seal the join. But in my case they useed inferior sealant which broke down on both sides at the front, causing corrosion and water ingress. If you try it yourself, you'll only end up breaking the guttering. I took mine to Towtal in Stoke on Trent. They had it for over a week. £500 well spent if you intend to keep the 'van.
Jessie
Jessie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana

Back to top Go down