The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim

4 posters

Go down

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim Empty Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim

Post by Bartfarst Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 pm

I've long wondered how the glass fibre hi-top is secured to a cut down panel van such as my 1995 Boxer Harmony and, importantly, how robust it will be in the longer term. I'm pretty sure Boxer marked a significant change in methods for AS at that time so I've often fretted that, as one of the first, it may be more vulnerable to any teething troubles AS might have had. Well the other day as I looked upwards I could see daylight between the trim which covers the joint in question and the van body/hi-top. However I am yet to see any evidence of the hi-top parting from the body. So I'm hoping that the security of the trim is independent to the security of the hi-top - my goodness I hope so!

Anyone had any experience with the trim coming loose or the hi top becoming unbonded to the panel van?

Stuart
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Bartfarst,

My plastic trim is just that. Yes you can see daylight in places but I suspect the trim just covers up the method used to secure the hightop.
Did get involved once on converting a Transit van into a hightop. Bought the hightop, cut out the roof of the Transit and pop riveted the hightop (with plenty of sealant) on the van.
I would be very surprised if they ever parted company!
I suspect a similar method was used by AS.

Regards
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim Empty Re: Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim

Post by Bartfarst Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Here's an update having called in at the AS Service Centre last Friday, and it's not all good I'm afraid. In fact its all pretty bad!

I am told by AS that the trim between hi-top and the van is being forced away from the van by water from the gutters getting into timber behind the trim. Apparently this is the 'first generation' configuration which was later improved when the shortcomings of our configuration (1994/5 build) became apparent. The method of repair is to dig the body filler out of the screw heads holding the trim in place, then strip the moulded trim from the front of the vehicle and work rearwards until it all comes off. The critical thing is, according to AS, I stand no chance of removing the side trim without breaking it and, in advance of a final call from the AS Service Centre, the moulds are no longer stocked for SWB vans (Harmony/Rambler). Their supplier may still have the moulds and be able to make some replacements but, if they are available, I'm sure the cost is going to be seriously unpleasant.

I asked the obvious question: what happens if I do nothing? Well the guy said that eventually the joint between hi-top and van body will start to leak at the front of the vehicle behind the two short bits of trim. I admitted to him that, when lashed with Scottish rain, this happens already. I must admit as to being confused how the trim could affect what I understand to be a sealed lap joint between hi-top and panel van but, on the basis of me having the problem already I have to agree with what was said.

PLEASE does anyone else have this problem in early vans and fancy having a go at putting it right? If so, perhaps we can lessen the cost of the trim pieces with a multiple order? Let me know if you're interested.

Asides, I have to question AS's spares prices: for a replacement tip-up sink for my Harmony I was quoted £240 for the parts alone. I shall not be going that way!

Bartfarst

Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Update from the AS Service Centre.

The gutter mouldings are no longer available for the first series SWB van conversions so they cannot help. Clearly not the reply I wanted!

The only good news relates to the leakage at the front end of the hi-top. The gentleman who I talked to this time stated that the leak is likely to be from the screw holes through the gutter trim in question and into the hi-top itself. AS remove the screws, force a large amount of sealer into the hole, then replace the screws.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim Empty Roof Trim

Post by warspite Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

Hi
I am sorry to hear of your problem .
Our previous van a Harmony(SWB) we had the same problem initially having the screwfront end pumped with sealant problem prevailed. Autosleepers then removed the trim and cut down the a trim from Symbol(MWB) incorporating the rear light (a later addition) for cosmetic reasons with sealant. The toal cost in the region of £750 five years ago.

Sally
warspite
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Sally,

Thanks for that. I wonder why they didn't offer me the same option? Please what year was your Harmony?

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by warspite Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi

The year of my Harmony was 1997 - I also forgot to mention that the replacement trim was attached by way of brackets rather than screws directly into the van (as in later models) which means the trim can be removed.

Regards Sally
warspite
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim Empty Harmony Hi Top Trim

Post by Terry Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 pm

I had a similar problem with the Hi Top on my 2003 Dorset. Wokingham Caravans removed the trim and had to re-glue the top to the van top, cost £160. The water point of entry was the the gutter screws (and me being a bit to ambitious with packing stuff in the overhead putting pressure on the Hi Top edge !) Once the fix had been completed I used Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure down each screw thread around the guttering (loosening each one off a fraction first) until a little overflowed, then re-tighten. This flushes out any residue moisture and seals the thread against further ingress. Monitor for further leaks and keep topping up until stops.
Sealant is all very well but it'll go brittle with time whereas Creeping Crack Cure remains flexible and gets right into the screw threads,then can easily be topped up if required.
No motorcaravanner should leave home without Capt. Tolley on board ! For those unfamiliar with this wonder cure, it comes in a small 60ml bottle about 4" tall and costs less than a tenner (try Amazon).

ps Has anyone got a spare original Harmony Instruction Manual, a previous owner has written all over what my original in the first place !!
Sorry gotta go- for a leak !!
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Terry,

Thanks very much for the 'heads-up' on Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. I'm going to act on your suggestion and get a bottle. In fact there's one guy on eBay selling the 250ml bottle (rather than the usual 60ml) for £9.69 delivered!

Sorry I can't spare my Harmony manual, but if you need a copy just ask.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim Empty Harmony Hi-Top

Post by Terry Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:37 am

Phoned AS Spares Wednesday pm for a few bits and pieces and they photocopied an original manual. It all arrived on Thursday am- that's why we love Auto-Sleepers !!!
Also got fridge winter covers from Johns Cross and replacement fridge shelves are en route. The Dukdalf Mambo step has proved not to be suitable although it is a cracking bit of kit if you've got storage in the van as it doesn't fold down. The steps are good even without the safety rail which is an optional attachment. So, I'll be selling it on in as new condition with original box.
Powerstep are coming down next week, they've made a very generous offer so we'll bite the bullet and just do it.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Boxer Harmony Hi Top Trim Empty Harmony Hi-Top

Post by Terry Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:03 am

Sorry, that first reply was a bit rushed ! Make sure any excess Crack Cure is wiped away as soon as it dribbles as it can be difficult to get rid of if it dries. Have some white spirit and a cloth to hand. It may need 2 goes to ensure the threads are fully sealed.
Although there are 2 drainage slots facing one another over the windscreen, make sure the slots underneath the guttering facing down the windscreen are also clear, they are difficult to see as they are partly obscured by the window rubber and need very careful poking out so as not to disturb the windscreen seal itself.
Good luck !
I've also had a list of all previous owners from the DVLA and it shows that since we traded her in in 2002 she has spent nearly 2years standing idle spread over periods between new owners inc. 11 months on Discover's forecourt and we all know what happened to them !
It all helps to build up a picture of service needs in the future.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down