The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham Veba high level camera removal?

3 posters

Go down

Kingham Veba high level camera removal? Empty Kingham Veba high level camera removal?

Post by IanD Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Hello all.  Advice needed. My Veba camera etc is defunct. I intend to mount a narrow view replacement camera in its position mounted on a plate fixed over the hole if this is possible.  I was wondering if I removed the high level brake light would it give me to access to a channel  so I could  lead a cable down the inside of a rear door pillar. And then out the bottom of the pillar, - from here I would lead cables forward and back into the van close to the drivers side step.
Has anyone done this bit of getting a cable down from the brake light area?
Removing a rear cupboard and panel in the Kingham is out of the question - too complex and forbidden by my oh.
The veba camera will come out I think with the destructive method and a crooked spanner?

I do hope someone has been there before to give me guidance.
Regards.  IanD
IanD
IanD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Kingham Veba high level camera removal? Empty Re: Kingham Veba high level camera removal?

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:20 pm

Ian,

I replaced the Veba camera last year on our Kemerton, which is a similar age van to yours.  I used the existing cabling for the replacement camera and wrote up the process I followed here ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Even with a different replacement camera to the type I fitted you should be able to avoid having to run new cabling, which clearly saves a lot of effort. Removing the high level brake light will reveal the camera cable and I found there was plenty of slack to enable connections to be made to the new camera. Just be aware that it probably won't be a simple "plug and play" operation and you'll particularly need to know the polarity of the 12V feed to the camera, otherwise you risk irreversible (no pun intended) damage if you get it wrong.  Have a read of my instructions in the thread I've linked above and ask if you need clarification on anything.

Depending on what you've chosen as your new camera, you'll most likely find it far superior to the Veba. 

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Kingham Veba high level camera removal? Empty Re: Kingham Veba high level camera removal?

Post by inspiredron Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:26 am

Replacing the camera may also need a replacement monitor for best results. My van didn't have a factory fitted camera and was installed by a firm contracted by Marquis. It was a rather cheap version but still a Benz monitor. Connection hack tool to front used a long stereo/video audio lead connected to the camera with a 3.5mm jack plug. At the front end camera and monitor had separate power feeds. Video connection to the monitor was by phonoplug. Monitor resolution was poor to match poor camera resolution. Replacement was dual camera setup with CCD and not CMOS sensors and high Res monitor. I had to replace cable anyway (2 cameras). New arrangement has aircraft type waterproof connectors with screwed retainers and camera power is taken from monitor. If you want to you can probably get a short adapter lead at rear to connect existing lead to a new camera but will need to check everything carefully, as you say. Parkingcameras.com are helpful.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by IanD Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you all.  Unfortunately I chopped out the Veba camera wiring and the cabling leading to the defunct Veba monitor before fitting a mirror held, chinese monitor and a camera mounted below the bumper.  . Ran power from the leisure battery to both and exited the van via a rubber bung in the floor. Power and video cable are attached under the van to the rear camera.
Now I want to fit a narrow field of view camera above the high level brake light, to replace the duff veba one and run wires down the rear door pillar to the underside where my "new" cables are - if this can be done. Given myself a load of unneccessary  work!
Ian
IanD
IanD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 pm

IanD wrote:Given myself a load of unneccessary  work!
Ian
Yes you have.  Good luck with that.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down