The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Warwick XL driving position

+2
Mt67minimotos
purdyhorse
6 posters

Go down

2019 Warwick XL driving position Empty 2019 Warwick XL driving position

Post by purdyhorse Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:12 am

I am 6 feet tall and have really struggled with the driver's seating position on my 2019 Boxer based Warwick XL. I resolved part of the problem by having the seat base replaced by one 40mm lower but continue to struggle because the bulkhead behind the seat restricts adjustment to the backwards movement of the seat and the seat's rake. I have now booked the vehicle in with Autosleepers to have a modification kit fitted to address the issue . I suspect this will not be cheap but will definitely be cheaper than changing the vehicle and, as we are delighted with the vehicle in every other respect, we don't want to part with it.
I understand the modification to be a standard Autosleeper component so wondered if anyone else had had it fitted and if it had worked?
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

2019 Warwick XL driving position Empty Re: 2019 Warwick XL driving position

Post by Mt67minimotos Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:25 pm

I to suffer with the same problem
Do you know what the mods are
And more to the point what it’s costing
Will look forward to seeing other replies
Mt67minimotos
Mt67minimotos
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 pm

As yet only have vaguest outline as in the mod is made to the panel behind the driver's seat and that it enables an extra 3" seat movement space. Was so relieved to discover there is the possiblity of improving the driving position that I have booked it in to be done without checking the price but I do know it will be cheaper than changing the vehicle. It is being done Friday this week so I will post the result and the price thereafter. In the meantime you might like to consider the lower seat base option which definitely resulted in my no longer cricking my neck caused by having to peer down thru the windscreen. I got it from Marcle Leisure (they are on the net), it cost about £170 and my local garage charged me an hour's labour to fit it.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by C.L.S Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:27 pm

This would also be a good modification for us short * Inappropriate Word * drivers , it would allow perfect area for table storage.
C.L.S
C.L.S

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm wondering if the 2019 seats are different from 2018.

Were you not able to raise and lower the seat base height by the use of the two levers on the side?

There's no bulkhead behind my seat (different van layout) so seat goes all the way back. Which is just as well because at 6' 2" there's no way I could afford to lose 3" of legroom!

No issues with the base height though, but my seat doesn't have a swivel base, maybe that makes it lower by default?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Rogerthat: Tried the two levers but the seat was still too high to avoid cricked neck so that's why I bought the lower base. I think the bulkhead was moved to behind the driver's seat for the 2019 model but may be wrong and the driver's seat does not have the swivel base. My problem is not the legroom, it's the rake of the back - I feel like I am being pushed forward too far and this results in backache just below the shoulder blades. Fundamentally it comes down to differing body profiles e.g. short legs / long trunk, long legs / short trunk and all the variables in between. Sadly my body profile doesn't match the Peugeot / Auto-sleepers designers' concept. 
When I was buying the vehicle the seating position seemed fine and it still does when the vehicle is stationary - it's only after 20 minutes' or so of driving that the backache kicks in. Hopefully the mod will rectify the problem because every other aspect of the vehicle is all that we hoped it would be.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mt67minimotos Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:45 am

Any update on this topic?
Mt67minimotos
Mt67minimotos
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:16 am

Presumably they modify the furniture panel somehow, so that it gives more clearance for the seat back to be inclined further. It's always been a risk for taller drivers when furniture is built behind their seat, designers cram in as much storage/furniture as possible and seem to forget there are folk taller than 5ft 10ins.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:10 am

Delighted to say that AutoSleepers at Willersey have now fitted the mod and, together with the lower seat base I sourced elsewhere, my XL's driving position is excellent. The mod is to fit an alcove into the shower room wall behind the driver'seat. Said alcove protrudes into the bathroom but still allows the toilet lid and seat to be lifted and stay upright. The decorative panel pockets have been reinstated in their original positions and the wire basket above the toilet has now been repositioned on the inside of the bathroom door. I have sourced an additional wire
basket and fixed it on the top ledge of the alcove inside the bathroom. Willersey did an excellent job and I am very grateful to Alan Curry, Paul who fitted the mod and Jonathan Guth of Marquis Tewkesbury, who initiated the whole process. 
The seat base, mod and fitting cost around £750 and is worth every penny.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am

Perhaps the conversion should be offered as an option when ordering new. I'm sure a lot of taller prospective owners are put off by the driving position and walk away. Or perhaps produce all Warwick XL's with this from the start.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mt67minimotos Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:09 pm

Can any photos be posted
Mt67minimotos
Mt67minimotos