The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nextbase Dashcam

+3
Heanorboy
rogerblack
BazJools
7 posters

Go down

Nextbase Dashcam Empty Nextbase Dashcam

Post by BazJools Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 am

Hi All. I have recently bought a Nextbase 312gw and as I don't want to attach it to the windscreen because it will interfere with the Remis blinds I've mounted it on a disc on the front of the large flap in the dash. The recorded video suffers badly from camera shake. The vibration is such that I have had to reduce the crash sensor sensitivity to prevent recordings being protected and filling the SD card. Sticking the flap down with blue tack has made little difference. Just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this and managed to overcome it or is it worth buying a more expensive camera with image stabilisation.
BazJools
BazJools

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Nextbase Dashcam Empty Re: Nextbase Dashcam

Post by rogerblack Sat May 04, 2019 1:42 pm

I have the Nextbase 312GW permanent wiring installed front and rear on our Pollensa (and on our Vectra estate).
When I want to close the rear blind, I just slide the camera out of the mount, lift the lever and release the sucker, leaving the mount dangling on the wire. It only takes a few seconds.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by BazJools Sat May 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi Roger, Do you find that the video suffers from much camera shake with it mounted on the windscreen  
Cheers 
Barry
BazJools
BazJools

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 pm

I have used these just stick on dash and camera suction cup simply on top fits behind blinds
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sat May 04, 2019 8:43 pm

We do as roger does too, it’s fine and haven’t noticed any performance issues......at the front though
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat May 04, 2019 9:16 pm

BazJools wrote:Hi Roger, Do you find that the video suffers from much camera shake with it mounted on the windscreen  
Cheers 
Barry
Hi Barry

No vibration problems, although we did have to turn the G sensor sensitivity down for some of the bumpy back roads in Fife! But the video itself comes out fine.

Good little units, thinking of getting another couple of the same model for our daughter's car.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 pm

I had the exact same problem BazJools, the vibration when mounted to the dash was unwatchable and the g-sensor on mine was also going off every few seconds.

I caved in the end and stuck mine on the screen in a position that still allows the Remis blinds to close.

However, I do have to unclip the camera and unplug the USB cable, and the blinds shut perfectly. But the picture is now rock solid and no g-shock sensor issues.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by BazJools Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks for the photo RogerThat. Windscreen mounting seems to be the solution. Will give it a go on our next trip.
BazJools
BazJools

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 pm

I have ours stuck slightly left of centre on the dash. No problem with vibrations that etc. I leave that mount in the van to keep the cable routed tidy.   Another mount in the car and all i do is swop the 312gw over, done it today ready for next weeks Scottish trip
Hope you get as good results as we have from camera wether it be in the car or van
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat May 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Ours is mounted at the top of the windscreen just to the left of the rear view mirror. Halfords fitted it and did a good job of concealing the wiring inside the trim. We don't have fitted blinds in the front screen so it stays there all the time.

I fitted the rear one myself, piggybacking the fused installation kit on to the 12V feed to the fridge so it automatically comes on and off with the ignition.

Since both incidents that have occurred to family members in the past few years have involved the other vehicle impacting from behind, I consider the fitting of rear-facing cameras to be as important as the front. Had our daughter had one fitted it would have saved her a long drawn out and stressful process which only resulted in the other party finally admitting liability at the eleventh hour before a court case.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun May 05, 2019 1:07 am

I always fitted mine on the screen though i don't have any blind issues to worry about there. Mounting on the dashboard top would be useless for me as there's way too much vibration.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down