The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sink drains

+6
RogerThat
burlingtonboaby
Paramedic
Lorfal
Justus2
treetops
10 posters

Go down

Sink drains Empty Sink drains

Post by treetops Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 am

Hi our new kingham suffers from slow drainage at the sinks is this a common problem with the waste system on this van or is there an easy fix for it ,thanks
treetops
treetops

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Sink drains Empty Re: Sink drains

Post by Justus2 Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am

It's fairly standard I'm afraid. The waste pipes are small and it can be made worse by even short horizontal runs if the van isn't level. Our washbasin in the shower is worse than the kitchen sink.  It can be hurried along a bit by twirling a finger just above the plughole to create a whirlpool. Eventually you just accept it... Top tip, our waste under the kitchen sink came off second time out, made a bit of a mess.. They are not glued and are just push fit.  I pushed them back together and applied electrical insulating tape on the join to keep them together.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 am

Yep, normal. Just get used to it. However....we did have a twisted hose in the shower room we thought shower pressure being low was normal too. We got it checked to be sure, and that’s when they found twisted hose, the shower now is really good! 

We did get sink in kitchen area checked too, but it’s just the build and wee pipes. I can also vouch for the swirling. We use a basin for washing up, and where it’s possible just chuck contents out rather than drain down sink.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

Yep, slow drainage as above, in our case due to sink waste pipe running ever so slightly up hill. We've overcome this to some degree by deliberately driving up onto levelling blocks beyond the true horizontal so the cab is uppermost to the rear that encourages faster flow.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 am

treetops wrote:Hi our new kingham suffers from slow drainage at the sinks is this a common problem with the waste system on this van or is there an easy fix for it ,thanks
Hi treetops
Welcome to the forum from sunny cool Bridlington.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am

Mine too was bloody awful...

I made some modifications to improve it.

First of all, I replaced the 90 degree plug hole with a 45 degree plug hole which in turn gave a far better run off:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Most of the issue of the slow drain seemed to be down to the tiny size of the holes in the plug outlet itself.

Granted, this is the washroom sink, but the principal is the same.

So I decided to cut out some pieces of the hole in order to make the "holes" bigger and allow the water to drain faster.

Like so:

The end result is a sink in which water flows out as fast as it flows in from the tap.

Which is what it should do!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Sink drains Empty Sink drains

Post by treetops Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Thank you for all your replies at least now I will know it's a common problem, and will try the suggestions mentioned, one thing I was curious about and that isifthe waste tankisvented or not as if it isn't that could cause a pressure back up !
treetops
treetops

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm

I think both tanks are vented... I had some cleaner in our waste just the other day, filled it via the sink till it came up the shower plug hole. There was a slight dripping onto the drive under the van, but only a pint or so. The fresh is without a doubt vented as it drips when its full from the top of the tank.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:49 pm

To improve the flow of your existing setup without doing any modifications at all, use a plastic washing-up bowl and empty it by aiming the contents directly at the plug hole in one steady swoosh. Once the flow is established, you should find that the flow continues quite well. This has worked well for us in a 1999 Duetto, a 2008 Duetto and a 2014 Warwick Duo.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:05 am

When our van was new we got fed up with constant smells coming up the sink wastes so I installed CAK tanks traps. Eventually I removed the traps because they slowed down the flow too much. Now we empty the waste tank more often and give it a good rinse if it does get whiffy.
However we did keep the non return valves on the shower wastes which were put on to stop waste coming up into the shower tray on left hand bends whenever the waste tank was more than about one third full!

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 pm

inspiredron wrote:we did keep the non return valves on the shower wastes which were put on to stop waste coming up into the shower tray on left hand bends whenever the waste tank was more than about one third full!

I suffer with this problem...

Is this something I can fit to the pipework under the van?

Do you have any more details you could share please, Ron?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 pm

Check out my post on this thread
It has photos. The parts come from CAK tanks.
Hope that helps

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 am

Excellent!

I think this is a job I can tackle myself, will crawl under the van when Spring arrives.  Thanks again Ron!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 pm

This always amuses me!
Here we have a planet several billions of years old and having had the force of gravity for, I assume, all of that.
Now, we spend £55 to £60k on a simple vehicle and the force of gravity fails to drain the bl88dy sink!!!
How hard is this? Poking your finger around in the drain seems to work, but seems primitive to me!!

hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins allthumbz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:45 pm

agree with Ian, surely the waste tank is underneath the washroom and kitchen?
our tank is like this and each 'drain' (kitchen sink, washroom sink and two in the shower) have their own shortest route, wide bore, flexible pipe leading directly down into the tank which has four inlet points...no pipes joining together or being routed any longer than straight down into the tank.
I can see from the linked thread that the pipework is gathered together and joined so that they all enter on the same side...
surely this will mean extra pipe length and lack of fall?
perhaps this 'design feature' is actually what's causing the more complex routing, too much horizontal pipework and therefore less flow? whereas if the tank had more relevant entry points the pipework might function better?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:35 pm

The drainage in our Fairford is poor also. Maybe because A/S have joined all the drain pipes so as to only put one hole in the van floor leading to the grey tank?
Anyway, we’re used to it now.
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

In my 1934 house, if you pull the plug out of a sink, or bath, the water disappears.
Now, how difficult was that??
Since 1934 we've had Spitfires, Lightnings, Concorde, allegedly men on the moon, so here we are in 2019 poking our fingers into sink drains on 55 to 60,000£  motorhomes (BTW our first entire house in 1975 was £6900!!!
I'm an engineer don't think this can be rocket science !!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 am

IanH wrote:..........don't think this can be rocket science !!!!
You’re 100% correct Ian but there are so many little ‘niggles’ with A/S that I just now accept them.
At one time I’d have done something about it but we’ve got a new Carthago coming in July so I’ll just live with poking my finger in the drain until I get rid of the Fairford.  allthumbz
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:50 pm

StewPotch wrote:
You’re 100% correct Ian but there are so many little ‘niggles’ with A/S that I just now accept them.
At one time I’d have done something about it but we’ve got a new Carthago coming in July so I’ll just live with poking my finger in the drain until I get rid of the Fairford...
Ah, you've seen the light....we're on. our second one...
can't have had the Fairford very long, fairly recent model?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm

bolero boy wrote:
StewPotch wrote:
At one time I’d have done something about it but we’ve got a new Carthago coming in July so I’ll just live with poking my finger in the drain until I get rid of the Fairford...
Not really so much a case of seeing the light - we had always planned to buy an A Class when I retired, then, when the wife retires, going full time for a few years in Europe, North Africa & Canada/USA.
The Fairford is just over 3 years old, we had originally aimed at buying the A Class next year when the Fairford was nearly 4 years old but financially it made more sense to buy new this year, plus, I want a new toy to celebrate my retirement with!
We’ve been looking for a few years (even before we bought the Fairford) at a few A Class brands and models but eventually chose Carthago as the manufacturer.
Then the hard bit was choosing the model - a lot of them were too long, a few the right size and some being too small.
Eventually we decided on the chic C-Line 4.9LE as it seems to be everything we need. We’ve added loads of extras including having the drop down bed removed and additional storage put in, extra large sky light above the cab, hab AC, winter pack, SOG, TV/entertainment pack & extra bedroom TV, satellite dish, solar panel, inverter, extra battery, uprated chassis, uprated engine, etc.
It seems to us to be the right balance regarding size v drive ability, bed layout, lounge area, separate WC/shower, scooter garage, storage, etc. The only other thing we might do is add a cycle rack as the garage will be probably be too busy with a scooter and all the usual paraphernalia.
I think the kitchen area is a bit tight, but kind of standard for a European van?
How do you get on with your van?
I know we can’t compare exactly as your van is smaller with a unique bedroom, but that aside, how do you rate Carthago?
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:18 pm

StewPotch wrote:
bolero boy wrote:
StewPotch wrote:
Not really so much a case of seeing the light - we had always planned to buy an A Class when I retired, then, when the wife retires, going full time for a few years in Europe, North Africa & Canada/USA.
The Fairford is just over 3 years old, we had originally aimed at buying the A Class next year when the Fairford was nearly 4 years old but financially it made more sense to buy new this year, plus, I want a new toy to celebrate my retirement with!
We’ve been looking for a few years (even before we bought the Fairford) at a few A Class brands and models but eventually chose Carthago as the manufacturer.
Then the hard bit was choosing the model - a lot of them were too long, a few the right size and some being too small.
Eventually we decided on the chic C-Line 4.9LE as it seems to be everything we need. We’ve added loads of extras including having the drop down bed removed and additional storage put in, extra large sky light above the cab, hab AC, winter pack, SOG, TV/entertainment pack & extra bedroom TV, satellite dish, solar panel, inverter, extra battery, uprated chassis, uprated engine, etc.
It seems to us to be the right balance regarding size v drive ability, bed layout, lounge area, separate WC/shower, scooter garage, storage, etc. The only other thing we might do is add a cycle rack as the garage will be probably be too busy with a scooter and all the usual paraphernalia.
I think the kitchen area is a bit tight, but kind of standard for a European van?
How do you get on with your van?
I know we can’t compare exactly as your van is smaller with a unique bedroom, but that aside, how do you rate Carthago?
Do the sink drains work????!!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:41 am

RogerThat wrote:Excellent!

I think this is a job I can tackle myself, will crawl under the van when Spring arrives.  Thanks again Ron!
Yes very easy and plenty of clearance at the back. As I have said before, I removed the traps because they slowed down the flow too much but the non return valves on the shoes tray are vital.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PitStopCrew Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm glad I found this thread... I thought I had a problem - sounds like it's pretty common.  Bit rubbish though and the first time I've come across it in a range of different vans.
PitStopCrew
PitStopCrew

Male

Back to top Go down