The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

removal of roof drains on an autosleeper

4 posters

Go down

removal of roof drains on an autosleeper Empty removal of roof drains on an autosleeper

Post by delms2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi

Can any one tell me how to remove the black plastic roof drains on an Autosleeper Harmony.
They go all along the side and curl round the front over the windscreen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David
delms2
delms2

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

removal of roof drains on an autosleeper Empty REMOVAL OF ROOF DRAINS ON AN AUTOSLEEPER

Post by newterry Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:50 pm

The burning question is- Why ? I would be fearful of any disturbance possibly compromising the resistance to water ingress as the plastic screws themselves have been proven to be a route to letting in damp to the interior, particularly over the windscreen. I recently had to loosen the screws over the windscreen and squeeze Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure into the threads (and then re-tighten) to stop water dribbling down the inside of the windscreen.

Removal of the gutters will also expose the join of the hi-top roof to the top of the van, they also channel water away from that joint.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

removal of roof drains on an autosleeper Empty Re: removal of roof drains on an autosleeper

Post by -mojo- Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

I think there have been several different methods used by AS over the years to fix these. On mine, removing the screws does not create any risk of leakage to the inside, because the threaded stainless steel pads are bonded onto the surface of the GRP roof.

In other cases (where no screws are visible) it seems that AS may have bonded the strip directly to the roof itself, as several people have repprted that they have found no way to remove them.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

removal of roof drains on an autosleeper Empty drains

Post by ubuntu1 Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 am

Don't even attempt it unless its absolutely vital. What's the problem?

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down