The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof Vent / Skylight issue

5 posters

Go down

Roof Vent / Skylight issue Empty Roof Vent / Skylight issue

Post by andygee127 Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:30 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum after we bought our first campervan a couple of weekends ago.  It is a 1996 Peugeot Boxer Harmony and we are very excited to get going with her!  However, a slight issue that I have had:

I travelled into work yesterday morning in the van and noticed the roof vent / skylight was dripping.  When I arrived I looked in the back and noticed the carpet below was quite wet.  The 'blind' was closed but the vent itself was shut.  The vent/light is fully sealed as there is no dampness around the outer edges of the cover on the inside of the van.

I wonder if it has been caused by the recent snow we've had, but I am struggling to see how any water / snow would've got past the lip that is designed to stop this?!?

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if there are any potential fixes to prevent this from happening again?

I phoned the dealer we bought it from and they suggested bringing it in, but wanted to ask here before making the 60+ mile round trip!

Thanks in advance,

Andy
andygee127
andygee127

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Roof Vent / Skylight issue Empty Re: Roof Vent / Skylight issue

Post by Paramedic Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 am

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. Hopefully suggestions will come your way shortly and the dealer will oblige your concern.
asof_welcome2

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 am

Hello Andy from our foggy hometown.    Welcome to the forum.    Was your carpet very wet  ...  we've had so many variations in temp. this week, I'm wondering if condensation from the rooflight itself.    We haven't had much in the way of rain  scratch head

Happy to share  opinions     regards   Bob
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by IanD Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 am

Hi. I would suggest you renew the sealant around the hatches with  Sikaflex having dug off the old stuff as a matter of maintainance.
Vaseline on the rubber seals of the Perspex hatches will aid water resistance and prevent sticking. A rather wet carpet could be from a split hose. Hope you get a solution.
IanD
IanD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by andygee127 Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Paramedic!

Hi Bob, yes, a very foggy town indeed today.  
The carpet was pretty wet, yeah, not just a little damp (when I knelt down I got a wet patch on the knee of my jeans!!).  I wondered if it could be condensation but thought it was a bit too wet for that, even though it had been static for just over a week.  Also, I thought that the perma-vents would stop a major condensation build up? 
No rain, but could the snow have caused more condensation?  

Hi Ian, there are no leaks in the hatch itself as the surrounding fabric was and is bone dry.  What kind of hose do you think could split?  We haven't used the van 'properly' yet and as such haven't filled the water tank, so I don't know if that will be the problem.

Thanks again!

Andy
andygee127
andygee127

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ruby Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Andy  when I bought my first van it leaked almost as soon as I got it home.  I had a warranty from the dealer that sold it me and they had it back and sorted it, 4 times I think, and they were very supportive and professional so I'd recommend you do that before trying to fix it yourself unless you are a whizzo diy person.  Having in the past worked on sailboats, I can tell you that water is a sneaky invader and the pro's know the likely sources of ingress.  I have learned alot, and one thing is not to accept just a reseal, but remove and reseal.  Hope that makes sense. Good luck. Ruby
ruby
ruby

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by andygee127 Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks for all the help! 

After a bit of rain last night I checked again this morning and it does seem that the vent / skylight is leaking, so I will be back to the dealership on Saturday for them to get it sorted out.

And thanks Ruby, I will ensure they do a remove and reseal!

Andy
andygee127
andygee127

Male

Back to top Go down