The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof Vent

4 posters

Go down

Roof Vent Empty Roof Vent

Post by Blossom Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Happy New Year to one and all.
Had a very windy trip from Dymchurch to Gatwick and back today during which the front roof vent blew open several times. It goes with quite a bang when it happens and my son who was sitting in the rear had to attend to it while we were on the move on the motorway. I was suprised that it didn't disappear completely.
On the return journey I was travelling alone but had managed to tie it down using a battery booster cable looped around the rear seat belt and had no more frights.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so what repairs or mods are recommended?
Its a 1996 duetto by the way, but i suspect the vents are common across quite a range.

Regards
Brad scratch head
Blossom
Blossom
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Roof Vent Empty Re: Roof Vent

Post by -mojo- Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Have you examined the internal mechanism carefully for any signs of damage? That type of roof vent has a reputation for becoming brittle with age, so I would suspect that one or more of the springs that are supposed to hold it down is no longer secured properly.

I believe that replacements are still available and they aren't (in relative terms) hard to fit. Make sure though that you get a replacement with the correct depth, as there are at least 2 different depths.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Brad,

On "Petal" we had the same problem and I discovered (after the second time) that when closing the lid I hadn't actually lowered it far enough to "lock" the spring loaded handles or made sure that the small pins were slotted in place.

This last trip back from Spain we had some terrible side and head-on winds but the lids stayed in place so my suggestion is that you get up there close and make sure that the lid is actually closed.

I do know that the cost of replacement can be eye-watering so I would make sure that the ones you have are in some way completely beggared before replacing anything!

Best regards and new_year

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:56 pm

If I were you... I'd see this as an ideal time, to replace with the newer more modern looking Mini Hekiplus

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Blossom Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Problem solved. Upon closer inspection I found that each handle has a spring loaded black plastic insert. Each insert has two plastic extensions that should engage with a lip on the vent frame to prevent said vent from opening until the handle is operated/squeezed.
On my vent these extensions were not doing their job. A few minutes with a file and everything is now as it should be. I make that Brad "1", vent "0". up! hugegrins
Blossom
Blossom
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Blossom wrote:Problem solved. Upon closer inspection I found that each handle has a spring loaded black plastic insert. Each insert has two plastic extensions that should engage with a lip on the vent frame to prevent said vent from opening until the handle is operated/squeezed.
On my vent these extensions were not doing their job. A few minutes with a file and everything is now as it should be. I make that Brad "1", vent "0". up! hugegrins

Brad,

GREAT!! One for the Good Guys! (i.e. zero cost solution!) allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz

However, my favourite comment to Operators was always "When everything else has failed read the Manual." Whistle1 Whistle1

new_year

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down