The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol

+3
Taurian
Paulmold
Gromit
7 posters

Go down

Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol Empty Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:48 am

Hi 

I’ve looked through the forum posts but still confused about gas cylinder sizes.

I have no manuals with the van I’ve just bought - 2003 Boxer Symbol.

I want to be able to travel in the UK this year and France next year) with limited use of electric hook up and all year around.  So want to use gas for the fridge (when parked),heating, oven and rings and even get a wash now and then uncertain .

Spent all my funds on the van so as much as I’d love to fit an underslung or other refillable option it’s beyond what I have at the moment.

So questions.

1.  What sizes will actually fit the locker - internal access type? - I’ve seen some mixed comments on this.

2. How long would I expect these to last based on the above usage?

3. Assume propane because of winter use?

4. Anyone got any used cylinders they don’t need since the deposit is around £40 at my local shop.  I am living in both Exmouth and Weston-super-Mare.

5.  Last question - Just any other thoughts that I haven’t thought of scratch head .

Thanks Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol Empty Re: Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol

Post by Gromit Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 am

Morning Rob

1). Don't know about sizes, but somebody will soon advise.

2). How long is a piece of string? Depends on your usage, but probably not long enough.

3). Propane certainly. No point in bothering with butane.

4). Buy a large box of biscuits and go to your local tip. They are probably not supposed to give you empty bottles, but if you are discrete they probably will. I believe they have to pay for their disposal, so it's in their interests too.
Don't shell out 40 quid. There are plenty around - you just have to find them. Your local farmers have probably got loads slung behind the barn.

5). Are you aware that you can't exchange UK cylinders abroad?

Suggest you read this.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol Empty Re: Propane Gas Cylinders for 2003 Symbol

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:14 am

You should be able to fit one 6kg propane bottle and one 3.9kg propane bottle (or one 7kg and one 4.5kg butane but propane is best for all year round use). It's a tight fit but that's what it's designed to take. I do have an empty Calorlite 6kg but I'm up in North Wales so not much use to you.
If you do go to tip etc only get Calor (or maybe Flogas if they do the right sizes) as you'll have difficulty exchanging other brands.
You will need appropriate regulators.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:11 am

AS Paul said, a 6kg and a 3.9 kg will fit.  You will find however that you will need to put the 3.9 kg on a piece of 4 x 2  wood to raise it above the wheel arch or you will be unable to fit  both bottles  in the locker.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:37 am

Taurian wrote:AS Paul said, a 6kg and a 3.9 kg will fit.  You will find however that you will need to put the 3.9 kg on a piece of 4 x 2  wood to raise it above the wheel arch or you will be unable to fit  both bottles  in the locker.
Would a small re-fillable fit in the locker?

It sounds as if Rob intends to do some serious off piste touring, so it might be worth his while to consider one, with a 3.9 as backup in case he runs the refillable right out.

Rob. If you are not aware, a refillable can be very easily topped up at any time. No need to wait until it's empty - in fact it would be daft to do so!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:08 pm

PaulMold, Gromit and Taurian

Thank you all for your thoughts - yes the France issue was what started to confuse me even more! Are refillable ones ok in France? Do I need adaptors?

Refillable sounds great - if ok abroad - but concerned about cost and thoughts on which type is best would be welcome.

So would a 6Kg refillable fit?  (I’ve already a 3.9)

Need to pop to the dump tomorrow so will look there as well.  Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi Just looked for a comparison size...

A 6Kg Calor cylinder is 314mm high and 306mm diameter.

A GaLow R67 is 460mm high by 426mm diameter - so would need to measure and all for pipework and regulator.  This is French ‘tank’ approved.

Flogas 6kg LPG bottle 495mm high by 256mm diameter so even bigger - not sure whether it fulfils reg for a cylinder or tank?  So even higher!

Auto gas 2000 RV 470 high by 244mm diameter.

Gas It 470mm high by 246 diameter.

So interested but need to look for some offers?  Are there any problems with second hand tanks?  Would prefer new hoses and filling kit.

Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Safefill refillable sizes are...
Small 5kg cylinder is 384mm high and 305mm in diameter
Medium 7.5kg cylinder is 460mm high and 305mm in diameter
Large 10kg cylinder is 571mm high and 305mm in diameter

Your dimensions for the 6kg Calor are for the BBQ cylinder not the standard 6kg that we use in vans and caravans. Correct size is 495 high and 256 wide.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Try your local BOC service centre. The guy at my local one said they didn't charge a deposit on your first bottle.
It may be that this only applies to accont holders, but its worth asking.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Paul Mold. - Thanks really helpful - explains why the refillable ones alll seemed rather too large.  Not got my van near me at the moment to measure but was concerned about the apparent disparity in size. 

So all refillable should fit ok - just need to look at affordability!

Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:39 pm

There's usually one or two on eBay.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This might be worth a read as well if you're going abroad with a refillable.

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Just done this conversion. Absolute sod of a job. Very scary drilling a 70mm hole in the side of the camper. Measured 875 times before committing. Drilled 3mm hole initially to double check location. Three layers. Outer skin, inner panel skin then the Autosleeper skin. There's a 75mm steel square box section for the seat belt anchor that needs to be missed. And a wheel arch.. Needed a second 86mm hole internally to route the gas pipe down to the fill connection. Not easy. really not easy. Took two of us virtually a full day. Also - very important - cut edges need to have bead fitted.
In, filled and working! I'll try and attach some pics.
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Benivan 120
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Message me and I'll email them to you if you want to see them. Or look here: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/refillable-gas-2000-peugeot-autosleeper-boxer-symbol.182212/#post-2989624
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi ‘the wheelbarrow’ 

Thanks took a look at the other site and photos are helpful.  Not sure your description of the jog was though confused0  Always a challenge when doing anything new - by the end you become an expert!

I’ve done so much reading and thinking and wondering about finances - think I just need to get out and enjoy the van scratch head 

So my first ever trip will be in a day or so - just an overnight or two and no idea where but then thats what I bought it for...

Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Rob - not sure I'd do it again... If you do a euro trip it'd be worth considering - easier to refill, and cheap too. As you say - challenging...

Enjoy the camper. The Symbol has a great layout and some nice features. Gets a bit 'cosy' at times tho'.

The heating system is quite good, and the water heating system is excellent. All fairly new to us so we're easily pleased.

The only criticism I have is driving the thing. Bimbles along nicely at 55 easily enough, push it a little to 60 but not much more. Hills take all the wind out of the sails.
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi 

I’ve only done one drive in mine which is when I bought it from Kent back to Weston-super-Mare. Seemed fine - its the 2.2 HDI and seemed to enjoy 70ish all the way back.  

There’s only me so seems spacious and ok at the moment - though might be tempted with a small dog?

Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by JandJ Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 pm

We had a 6kg Gaslo fitted, just fits in with a bit of planning where the hoses go. Balked at drilling the side so hose goes out of the bottom of the gas locker and filler fitted to a small bracket below the sill. Made a small wooden platform level with the rear shelf so the cylinder can shuffle as far back as possible and leave some storage space in front.

6kg = 12L gas, plenty to last 16-18 days. Easy to fill once you get the hang of it. No problem in France. Yes you need a bunch of adaptors but not expensive or difficult to use. Absolute beauty is you can refill when ever convenient without having to wait until its almost empty or having to store a spare. We fill every 10 or so days camping so we know there is plenty.
JandJ
JandJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:56 am

RobinWid wrote:Hi 

I’ve only done one drive in mine which is when I bought it from Kent back to Weston-super-Mare. Seemed fine - its the 2.2 HDI and seemed to enjoy 70ish all the way back.  

There’s only me so seems spacious and ok at the moment - though might be tempted with a small dog?

Rob
What has this to do with gas cylinders Rob?

Wrong forum I think!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am

General chit-chat - I suspect a lot of threads do drift a little, from time to time... like my driving
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 am

JandJ wrote: Easy to fill once you get the hang of it. No problem in France. Yes you need a bunch of adaptors but not expensive or difficult to use. Absolute beauty is you can refill when ever convenient without having to wait until its almost empty or having to store a spare. We fill every 10 or so days camping so we know there is plenty.
I'll clarify your comment if I may, in case it confuses newcomers to LPG (GPL in France) and refillables.

You need only one adapter for France, and the same one does for several other countries as well. They are sold singly and in sets, but most people would not need a complete set. (More information in the link below.)

Not that the sets cost the earth, but it's a bit pointless spending cash on items you will carry around but never use.

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JandJ Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification Gromit. We went for the set, not knowing where we might head in the future, but agree if only going to France you only need one.
J
JandJ
JandJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:12 pm

I’m taking a A/S poptop to Spain soon for around 5 months so taking a UK exchange bottle was not an option. So opted for a light weight 5kg 9.5 litre refillable which just fits in the gas locker. Plus a  Spanish light weight Repsol R6 exchange bottle that’s about the same size as as the refillable. It may pay you to consider investing in a refillable purely for convenience.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:16 pm

the wheelbarrow wrote:General chit-chat - I suspect a lot of threads do drift a little, from time to time... like my driving
Not in this case, if you have an older dog in a confined space as gas can be a problem  lol4
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down