The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

propane gas bottles

+4
shelldrake
murph
Paulmold
zimmy
8 posters

Go down

propane gas bottles Empty propane gas bottles

Post by zimmy Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:39 pm

I have a 2001 Symbol which was sold to me second hand with two 3.9kg propane gas bottles. Is this the standard size for that year of Symbol or will the cupboard accommodate two 6kg bottles or one 3.9kg and one 6kg bottle. If I can fit larger bottles, is it possible to exchange 3.9kg for 6kg or will it cost me.

Thanks

Zimmy
zimmy
zimmy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

propane gas bottles Empty Re: propane gas bottles

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:17 pm

It is designed to take one 6kg and one 3.9kg. You cannot officially swop 3.9kg for 6kg but I have done this, it just depends on your calor dealer You can then swop your 6kg (when runs out) for a 6kg calorlite which saves weight. Official policy on swops is here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by zimmy Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks Paulmond, much appreciated.

Zimmy
zimmy
zimmy

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

propane gas bottles Empty calor cylinders

Post by murph Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Aas I have said many times over the last few months, get yourself a 6kg refillable cylinder. We have saved hundreds of pounds in the last 8 years by using one, search for my post under supply of calor lite for further details. Not only saves money but saves carrying cylinders. I have no conection with either Gaslow, or Gas it. But am just a very satisfied user, if you insist on a spare (we have never needed one) get a little camping gas cylinder and fitting. You wont regret it.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

propane gas bottles Empty weights

Post by shelldrake Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 pm

I have just noticed that the empty weight of a 6kg propane cylinder is stamped on the metal ring under the valve. Mine is 9 lb and 10 oz.
The gas content is ---6kg Why the different weight measurements? shrugg
So a full bottle should weigh 22 lbs I believe
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:22 am

murph wrote: Aas I have said many times over the last few months, get yourself a 6kg refillable cylinder. We have saved hundreds of pounds in the last 8 years by using one,

And as I have said on more than one occasion, you need to find out how much gas you use per year before "investing".
Personally, for the amount of gas we use, and an installation cost of £200, it would take 5 years to break even and we would only start to show any savings after that.
I don't want to wait five years for a return on my investment but if you use a lot of gas then you could break even much earlier than this and it would be worthwhile. If you were to use 6 6kg cylinders per year the you would break even in three years for instance.
I sent a "gas conversion spreadsheet" to Roli for the fact sheets but apparently it's not possible to have a working spreadsheet on the forum.
I can email a copy if anyone wants it.

Frank

Last edited by boxerman on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : secret)
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 am

shelldrake wrote:I have just noticed that the empty weight of a 6kg propane cylinder is stamped on the metal ring under the valve. Mine is 9 lb and 10 oz.
The gas content is ---6kg Why the different weight measurements? shrugg
So a full bottle should weigh 22 lbs I believe

It's just the way it's been for years. I weigh mine in kilos whenever I get a new one and write the weight on the cylinder in permanent felt tip and then weigh it periodically (before each trip) to tell me how much is left.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:35 am

It's not just that the gas is so much cheaper with a Gaslow type installation, its the convenience. The new ones have a gauge to allow you to see at a glance if they're getting low. Then a quick top up when filling the fuel tank will see you OK for ages (as long as an ordinary bottle would last).

With a couple of adaptors this works through Europe, meaning the standby bottle is hardly ever touched. There's also an end to feeding the bottle through a small aperture and then fiddling around connecting the hoses. Having a changeover setup with both bottles connected also means you don't have problems of changing to the spare bottle in the dark / cold / rain...

Don't know how to factor this into the payback model though..
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:42 am

matchlessman wrote:It's not just that the gas is so much cheaper with a Gaslow type installation, its the convenience. The new ones have a gauge to allow you to see at a glance if they're getting low. Then a quick top up when filling the fuel tank will see you OK for ages (as long as an ordinary bottle would last).
There is no argument about the gas being cheaper, but it's an expensive option if you don't use much of it.
With a couple of adaptors this works through Europe, meaning the standby bottle is hardly ever touched. There's also an end to feeding the bottle through a small aperture and then fiddling around connecting the hoses. Having a changeover setup with both bottles connected also means you don't have problems of changing to the spare bottle in the dark / cold / rain...
The hoses on both my bottles are long enough to allow me to fit the regulators outside the locker. I have both bottles feeding to a "T" piece so that when one bottle runs out I just turn the valve off and open the valve on the other bottle. The gas locker on my and the OP's vans are accessed from inside the van, so no need to go out in the dark / cold / rain...

Don't know how to factor this into the payback model though..
You pays your money and you takes your choice content Time and time again, people post on this forum (and others) about Autogas being so much cheaper, but forget to mention the installation costs. It seems to me that when gas bottles are mentioned, particularly if it's a newbie, someone leaps in and suggests refillable tanks / bottles. What I'm saying is that they are not always the best option and that your system is no more convenient than mine.
As I said in my previous post, for the amount of gas I use, it would take 5 years to break even which I do not think is a sound investment. If I used twice the amount of gas I do or if I was switching from Camping Gaz it would be worthwhile but as things stand it is not worth the outlay to me. You may feel that it's worth the money just for the convenience, but I don't have an issue with changing bottles.
Different strokes for different folks up!
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by murph Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

Hi All,
Glad to see I am not the only one to wax lyrical about the advantages of refilllable cylinders/tanks, though on our recent trip to Italy with an organised party and on hookup all the time I can see why some might fight shy on the grounds of cost. After about a fortnight on hookup we topped up with only 1euro 85 worth of gas whereas if wildcamping we would have used 3 times this with the fridge on gas and eating in all the time. However £150 is not a huge sum compared whith the cost of the MH even if only for convenience.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 am

Hi All.

I am in complete agreement with Frank. I too have the same arrangement fitted to my van except that I have to go outside to operate my switch over valves. If I where to fit the refillable gas cylinders and all of the pipework. It would take me about 5 years to break even and that is with doing the installation work myself (I am Gas Safe registered and have the LPG qual.) Some good ideas are not allways cost effective.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

propane gas bottles Empty 2 X 6kg Calor propane bottles in 2001 Symbol

Post by mikebro Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it seemed the correct place to post this. I have two 6kg Calor propane cylinders (standard type, not lite) but up till now have only ever fitted one in our Symbol gas locker - the other is just kept for spare. Today whilst checking the van prior to a trip, I thought I would try and get the spare bottle in the back of the gas locker. I was most surprised to find that it actually does JUST fit on the ledge in front of the wheel arch. Then, pushed back as far as it will go, I was able to get the other bottle in and hooked up.

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down