The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversing camera (again)....!

3 posters

Go down

Reversing camera (again)....! Empty Reversing camera (again)....!

Post by mpbarrett Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 pm

2011 Symbol ES
I am trying to replace the cable between the original rear view camera and the monitor so that I can use a twin camera setup.
I have managed to get access to the rear of the camera by taking out a cupboard at the rear of the van. The cable from the camera seems to go to the offside and then behind the crockery cupboard. the other end comes out under the drivers side step and then runs up to the cable coming down from the mirror mounted display.
I think the cable is running in the vans original frame work near the original roof line and then down the pillar by the drivers seat.
Has anyone actually replaced this cable with a new one and if so were you able to pull it thru without taking all the cupboard off the wall or did you give up and run it under the chassis?

BTW I have read most of the many many posts on fitting cameras but am looking for specific info!

The original camera was fitted by Autosleeper (its an ES model Symbol) but am not impressed by there work, wires for the camera power badly spliced into cables and then a bit of tape stuck over them, the cable run under the drivers step plastic housing was not secured and has been trapped by the plastic moulding.

Still don't understand how the camera is powered. The camera has a miniature 3 pin jack socket on it and I guess the cable has video and power going to it. But at the other end the cable terminates in a yellow phono plug, somewhere there must be a box added power to the cable going to the camera... haven't found that yet!
The only easy bit has been fitting the new monitor as this uses the same cable as the original VEBA one.

Mike
PS beginning to understand why it costs so much to have these fitted!
mpbarrett
mpbarrett

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Reversing camera (again)....! Empty Re: Reversing camera (again)....!

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Mike

Please post details of the new monitor. If it takes the original Veba cable a lot of people, including me, will want to know.

As for fitting new cabling, I don't know your van at all, but it may help to know that when VanBitz fitted a reversing camera for us they took the cable down to go underneath the van, and clipped it to the underside of the floor.

If you can do that it would save all the faffing about with cupboards and trying to route it internally without is showing.

Hope this helps
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by mpbarrett Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:46 pm

Dave
the monitor came from DRW electronics ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) I brought it from the Norwich show with twin cameras and  got  a good deal. The monitor looks very similar to the VEBA one but has on screen controls and a very good image when I saw it working at Norwich. The old lead plugged onto the connector on the short lead from the monitor and I tested it and it works fine. The other end has two phono sockets  green reversing signal line and a power in (+12V and gnd).

Also, answering by own question, the cable does run in the body of the van behind the cupboards. On the 2011 Symbol there is shelf and panel if these are removed then you can access the van frame work. I hope I can pull the new cable along here behind the cupboard and then down the pillar by the drivers seat.
Pictures below of the connector, monitor and where the cables runs.

Mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mpbarrett
mpbarrett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Ah. Thanks anyway Mike, but I haven't got as rear view mirror.

I'm too tall so I had to remove it or it obscured too much of the view through the windscreen. Particularly dangerous when pulling out of a junction.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 pm

I bought my twin cameras from DRW  Electronics, very good firm, AS fitted mine and took it from the cameras down behind the wall cupboards through to floor and under the van in trunking, when had to replace camera s had to take the cupboards out as AS had hidden the connections. duh!!!!

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by mpbarrett Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:30 pm

All done :)

Took all morning. I managed it run the cable behind the offside cupboards and then down the driver door pillar and across the step and up to the fuse board where it connected into the cable from the monitor.
Could not have done it with using a spring steel cable routing tool, I feed this behind the cupboard and then tied the cable and a spare string (in case I ever want to do it again...) and gently pulled the cable along behind the cupboard.
Can understand why it expensive to have them fitted, but very pleased with the result, complete overkill for a short van but nice to see the rear bumper and a longer view equivalent to a normal rear view mirror.

cheers
mike
mpbarrett
mpbarrett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Well done  up!

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down