The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reversing camera

3 posters

Go down

reversing camera Empty reversing camera

Post by kevjan Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:31 pm

Hi all, My reversing camera has stopped working all i can get is a green screen with either AV1 or AV2 no picture from rear of van I have just gone through all the old thread's and can't find the answer can anyone give any info and how do I access the cable where it is plugged into the camera at the back. Thanks Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

reversing camera Empty Re: reversing camera

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:29 pm

I replaced the camera on our previous van, a 2015 Kemerton, and wrote up the process I went through at the link below. There were cable connections at two locations, the first behind the camera and accessible by removing the high level brake light. The second was in the offside footwell, accessible by removing the narrow strip of plastic trim above the wheel arch section, just inboard of the driver’s door seal.

Tim 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:12 am

I went through this in my Kingham and added this post:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am still happy. The twin lens brake light camera works well both for reversing and as a full time rear view mirror. The image is slightly distorted in that following vehicles appear lower than they are, but is absolutely fine for purpose.

I was unsure whether our problem was with the camera, the cabling or the monitor but elected to go for a complete new twin lens unit which was not that much more expensive than fiddling around changing various units, and no problems with compatibility of connections etc. Running a new cable through the van was surprisingly easy. I did not try and follow the original route but devised my own through the van interior. No new holes were drilled inside or outside, just one existing hole in the rear door frame reamed out a bit. The old camera was just abandoned in place.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:26 am

Hi all, thanks for that I am getting it looked at next week along with some other faults so when I get it back if they didn’t sort it I will have a go. I took the plastic trim off yesterday and all looks okay in there. How do I work out if it is the camera or screen. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:24 am

That was my problem! Unless you are well up on these sorts of issues you will not be able to test the individual units. I do most things but not electronics! You could pay a professional, but even then the modern trend is to just plug in replacement units until the system works, and bill accordingly. Unless the issue is very simple (bad connection?) you may end up spending more money (if no warranty cover of course). My complete replacement was very easy, needed no drilling, no soldering and I now have a twin lens continuous rear view camera rather than a single lens limited view reversing (only) camera.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:54 pm

I took the view that if the screen was able to display a colour and the AV1 or AV2 characters then it was probably OK and that the camera was more likely to have failed. At the time mine failed several other forum members were also reporting faulty cameras on vans of a similar age. The camera is exposed to weather so will always be more prone to failure than the display. 

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:11 pm

Yes the dealer is going to look at it when it goes in but apparently not covered under warranty. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Back to top Go down