The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First year with van

+7
roli
Lorfal
Quilter
Kingham
daisy mae
RogerThat
chalkywhite
11 posters

Go down

First year with van Empty First year with van

Post by chalkywhite Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Nearly a year of owning our Warwick XL. Not used the van since mid October last year, so really looking forward to our first trip next week. Whilst getting everything ship shape I started to consider what we could do without and lessons learnt. First things to come out was the passenger and drivers arm rest. This has made it so much easier to move between the cab and the habitation area. Next was to take the curtains out. We have only used the cassette blinds. We did try the curtains once but found they dont hang nice after being restrained by the tie backs. They do add a bit class to the back of the van, but they had to go. The large table we haven't used and felt it was unlikely to get much use, so out it went. I did buy a leg to put on the small table so we can use it outside. In the rear lounge, out went all the cushions, 6 in total.When making up the beds you have to find somewhere to stow them. We got 2 pillows and covered them in fabric and at night we slip over a pillow case.  This means our pillows can be used during the daytime as cushions and pillows at night.  Out went those crystal glasses. I know they do add a bit of class when entertaining but out they go. Well that's it for now. If anyone has got any suggestion of what else could be added to the list of things not needed I would be glade to hear.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

First year with van Empty Re: First year with van

Post by RogerThat Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Blimey you've been busy :)

The novelty of the crystal glasses hasn't worn off on mine yet, neither has the coffee machine attached to the worktop.  They may, in time, have to go. But for now I'm enjoying them!

Interesting you mention removing the arm rests, there was me thinking how daft it was to only have one! Why not fit one on each side!  Don't suppose you want to sell them do you?

Agreed about the curtains, they're very decorative but completely non-functional :)
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:03 pm

That is why I bought another armrest to add to passenger seat to make an armchair when swivelled, used it this week, brilliant, drivers doesn`t swivelled so left the one on.

I like the crystal wine glasses, curtains / cushions make it homely to my mind, pillows I have made covers in the same material as the new upholstery. so use them in the day as well. just remove covers for night time. saves on storage as well. ETTO
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:13 pm

My van's a year old this week and was in today for its first habitation check and after emptying it at the weekend, I'm going to be frugal when I reload it tomorrow.

The large table, crystal glasses, AS bedding, sink drainer, Whale filler & melamine dinner service etc, all came out a year ago and have been carefully stored since.

My curtains are staying though, as I prefer the look, even though they never get closed.

Regarding the arm rests, being solo, I've often considered removing the one from the passenger side and seeing if I can get it to fit the driver's seat.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 pm

In addition to the glasses, crockery, drainer, seat ends etc mentioned above we removed the small table and the huge leg that goes with it in the wardrobe. We have a small flat- folding table that can be used inside and out and travels strapped behind the passenger seat.

Removing it meant we could fix 3 shelves in the recess at the back of the wardrobe. We use these for folding cagoules and shoes. To avoid any chance of them falling onto the fuse box underneath I fixed an old plastic coated fridge shelf at the back of the wardrobe.

Our pillows and fleecy slankets are folded up in cushion covers as well.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 am

Our fairford is new from Nov . Used quite a lot now since end December , and it doubles as Car. Out came all the infill cushions for front bed. If needed we use as a single , which is a good size without the need for extra cushions. We kept some AS cushions in rear lounge though, easy enough to store in place of bedding when it’s being used. Out came the crystal glasses too, but we put in box of mixed ikea wine glasses....cheap to replace if broken.

In winter it’s cosy to draw the curtains at night, so we will keep them.

The dishes drainer will come out. We use sink with basin to keep fruit in whilst moving so no where to store the sink thingy. Will however keep the plastic storable drainer.

Haven’t used the whale hose or filling thing, but maybe if I learn how it works we will keep it lol.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:44 am

Removal of the cab seat arm rests was the first thing we did (before 1st trip) The X290 cab is just not wide enough unless you are built like a stick insect
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am

I agree with most of the items you have removed. What about the draft strip thingy that covers the rear doors? We only use our van for days out at home and always head for the sunny South of France. Therefore I have not removed the armrests as they come in handy as we always use the boring toll roads, just to get south and for me it makes getting there quicker and less hassle.  Well that's what I do.
-----------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am

I like the draught thingy. It’s useful as it is a bit more draughty without, though we are still getting a little water ingress through the doors so maybe it’s just us. Seals were fixed but leaked again so back to Peugeot this week grrrrrr
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 am

Lorfal wrote:I like the draught thingy. It’s useful as it is a bit more draughty without, though we are still getting a little water ingress through the doors so maybe it’s just us. Seals were fixed but leaked again so back to Peugeot this week grrrrrr

Could be very useful as I see you are up North. As I say in my case South of France only.

-----------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 pm

rgermain wrote:

Could be very useful as I see you are up North. As I say in my case South of France only.

-----------------
Richard
What do you do in winter when the Mistral blows over 50 mph, right from the bitterly cold Alps ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm

daisy mae wrote:That is why I bought another armrest to add to passenger seat to make an armchair when swivelled, used it this week, brilliant, drivers doesn`t swivelled so left the one on.

I like the crystal wine glasses, curtains / cushions make it homely to my mind, pillows I have made covers in the same material as the new upholstery. so use them in the day as well. just remove covers for night time. saves on storage as well. ETTO

Where did you buy the extra front seat arm rest from please?  It is one thing we miss on the Kingham we have.  

I thought the omission of the armrest was because the seats are fitted with lumbar support knobs.  Do they still allow an armrest to be fitted?

Thanks
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:02 pm

You may need to have bracket welded on for the extra armrest,.

I did, but it is a Ford so  do not know whether other marques are already fitted with a bracket. I bought cab seats from eBay just to get the armrest, nothing ventured nothing gained so they say, Ford armrests are like hens teeth.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Just found this online:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote:

Arm Rests For Vehicle seats

We're pleased to be able to offer a range of after market arm rests that can be fitted to a range of vehicles that do not already have factory fitted armrests.

These kits can easily fitted by any confident DIYer in about 30 to 60 minutes and does not require any special tools. To enable you to assess what's involved, fitting instructions for the Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer/Citroen X250 can be down loaded from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These armrests can be fitted to the seat at a suitable height that suits your comfort, then after fitting their angle from horizontal can also be easily adjusted by a knob on the rear of the arm rest. When not required, they can be angled upwards out of the way.

We offer these arm rests as singles, as not everyone wishes to have two armrests on their seat.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Quilter wrote:
rgermain wrote:

-----------------
Richard
What do you do in winter when the Mistral blows over 50 mph, right from the bitterly cold Alps ?

I stay at home in front of the wood burner. I am one of the strange Motorhomers who never feel the need to get away except in May and September, big garden etc. and I get home sick after 4 weeks. Do go to the local beach at Hayling for fish and chips most months.

Mind you the Mistral wind does blow a bit in St Remy, but is nice and warm even doing the last dog walk at 11.30pm. My Windsurfers were made by Mistral, I now know how they got their name.
-----------
Richard ( softy from down south) cold
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JandJ Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Armrests came out as soon as we took delivery.

What I can't work out is why our Symbol has 2 table legs. Even if you take both tables you can only use one table at a time.

J
JandJ
JandJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 am

I think the rear door strip adds a bit of quality to the interior and less like a white van.  Cant understand why other manufacturers havnt latched on
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am

could be a number of reasons....
perhaps the Ducatos don't let the draught in?
same (similar) van, better factory (or converter) QC?
I've never seen anything similar on (say) Adria, Malibu, La Strada, Hymer etc and these are all quality vans...perhaps not needed?
as you say, I'm sure it would have been copied if it was felt that it was required..
...perhaps even different levels of insulation....I've seen what goes into a Malibu (Carthago) van and it looks rather more substantial and comprehensive than what I've seen in 'some other vans'....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by BazJools Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Bristol170kj... Got our extra armrest fitted here. Nice chap and a reasonable price. 2nd armrest the work is done by Mr Tony Sugg trading as Wyvern Seating based at  Shepton Mallett  Tel: 0[url=tel:7973759593]7973 759593[/url] . Are you aware that fitting the 2nd armrest involves losing the adjustable lumbar support although we find that this does not affect the comfort of the seat. The fitting of the armrests usually takes a good 2 hours 
BazJools
BazJools

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Thankyou, i'll look into that next week.
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 pm

I had two armrests and lumber support in my T4.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down