The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Step

5 posters

Go down

Rear Step  Empty Rear Step

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am

Happy Easter everyone,

We have a Warwick XL and wondered if anyone had fitted a rear step to their panel van to make getting in and out the back a bit easier.  If anyone has I would be grateful to know what make, roughly how much it cost and who fitted it ( I admit to not being very DIY )  We are in Milton Keynes.  Many thanks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Rear Step  Empty Re: Rear Step

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Not sure if this will help as you need a towbar for this step. Not sure how you could fit a rear step without considerable steel work forward into the chassis.

Also need to bear in mind that this (not so important in your XL case) increases the length of the truck by about 200mm. As we are 5999mm, leaving the step on takes it into the next length for ferries.

It does, however, make a huge difference to getting in and out of the back doors. It is also the first point of contact should you reverse into a wall, for example, much better than the vehicle doing the hitting!!

Sorry same pic twice, does anyone know how to delete an unwanted image?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by IanH on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Click on the picture in your post and press delete on keyboard. (quick whilst the edit option is showing)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Ian,  thank you - that looks just the sort of thing, although we have not got a tow bar.  I have seen some steps but they are more for commercial use vans.  Would definitely do the job but dont look very appealing -- unlike yours which are quite smart -- not too worried about the additional length as a step will not stick out as far as the bike rack.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Have you seen these, combined step/tow bar?

Rear Step  Towing-bumper

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks --- they look quite smart.  I cannot see us ever wanting to tow with it; but will be reassuring if I happen to overdo the reversing !!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Agreed, I don't see me towing either, ours came fitted to the truck when I bought it.

It has one other major use though, the reversing camera sees it clearly, I added the white dots (tippex) to help that view, it works. It really is quite easy to get an inch or two from a wall. Be sure though that it is a vertical wall with no obstructions higher up that the camera can't see, I always check that before commiting to reversing. Might seem a bit close, but then no-one, incl you, can open the rear doors. Not for night stopping then as we need an emergency exit, but good if you're parking and leaving it for some time
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Rear Step  Empty Rear Step

Post by spanner Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Outtheoffice wrote:Happy Easter everyone,

We have a Warwick XL and wondered if anyone had fitted a rear step to their panel van to make getting in and out the back a bit easier.  If anyone has I would be grateful to know what make, roughly how much it cost and who fitted it ( I admit to not being very DIY )  We are in Milton Keynes.  Many thanks.

PM sent
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 pm

I also don't have a towbar and having had one on my previous I never used it and took the ball off after the first week of walking into it
So simple solution I bought a very strong folding step
Rear Step  S-l400Cost about £25 I have a drawer at the back of my van and it fits neatly in there for me,
Also a fixed step adds length if you are 5.99mts its cheaper on the ferry, although I have only been measured once in several trips to Ireland
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by malc45 Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi We had a towbar and double step fitted as Ian's photograph when we brought our symbol from Derby Motorhomes in December 2016.The most important thing is my wife can take the dog out first thing
In the morning without disturbing me. The cost fitted was £499.
Malc.
malc45
malc45
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down