The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on buying an AS van conversion please

5 posters

Go down

Advice on buying an AS van conversion please Empty Advice on buying an AS van conversion please

Post by Elaineteresa Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:37 am

I am planning to purchase my first van conversion in the next month but have had to reduce my budget somewhat so am now looking at high mileage vehicles about 15-20 years old. I have seen on the Forum that there is much discussion in the past about mileage. I know some owners that say high mileage is better than lower as you know it has been well used and not left to rot for months when not in use. I can fully understand this argument, and I often forget that these are base vehicle built for high road usage. I just wondered whether any forum members have any advice on what to look for in a well used vehicle. I have been looking at all 3 main base vehicles ie the Peugeot, Transit and VW Transporter. Seems that some are better mechanically, others fare better bodywise. Not really sure which would be the most economically sound to go for. And is a high mileage Petrol engine as reliable as a Diesel (the latter which I already run and prefer!)? I am sure that all you seasoned campers will be able to put me on the right path. Many thanks!!
Elaine
Elaineteresa
Elaineteresa

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Not yet purchased
Vehicle Year : Tbc

Back to top Go down

Advice on buying an AS van conversion please Empty Re: Advice on buying an AS van conversion please

Post by daisy mae Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 am

For me VW every time,

Saying that 3 months ago,  I didn`t have a choice as the larger van I needed didn`t come on a VW base, so have a Ford, much to my surprise. it pulls as well as the VW, has plenty of poke and is renound for doing 10000 of miles,and is a work horse, parts are plentiful and cheap compared to other makes.
So VW first, Ford second, my opinion and of personal use.

Also worth looking at the reviews /  problems owners have had,  even on this forum,  of base models, one I wouldn`t touch with a barge pole.
Best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Advice on buying an AS van conversion please Empty Re: Advice on buying an AS van conversion please

Post by -mojo- Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 pm

For a diesel engine, reasonably high miles should not be anything to worry about, provided it has been maintained properly - my neighbour runs a diesel taxi and it's on 400,000 miles on the original engine (Toyota) - his previous one did 700,000 miles - again original engine.

Petrol engines are a bit less robust because they run at lower compression, but even still, high miles should be no big worry.

I normally try to avoid vehicles which have had lots of previous owners, though - it can often mean that maintenance has been skimped (the current owner choosing to save a few quid by leaving expensive services for the next owner), and it's definitely worth looking through the service record if it has done high miles, to make sure there are no big gaps.

However, other things wear than the engine, so if you save money by buying an older van, you must set aside a budget to cover things that wear out - such as suspension bushes, dampers and brake components. None should be very expensive in terms of parts - it's usually the labour that quickly mounts up in cost...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:48 pm

VW always has loyal owners willing to speak for their reliability and apparent resistance to corrosion, including me.   We own a 13yr old Topaz and an 18yr old Golf with good mechanics and no evidence of corrosion. There will always be exceptions of course.
At the risk of offending some owners, I'm bound to say that Duetto (Ford) and 'corrosion' are words that do appear in the same context rather frequently on this forum.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm

I concur with Keith, my Duetto certainly entertains a variety of ''tin worms', on a 1999 base Mk5 transit.
It has proved expensive to have cut out and weld in replacement panels, and work is still ongoing.
On the plus side I should get more than I paid for it if I ever decide to sell, mechanically it is rock solid, and layout is superb.
If you look at Duetto, make sure you really have a good look underneath, especially at the rear, front and rear wheel arches, cills etc. Good solid ones are out there, but will command a good price.
Good luck with your search.
Jollywalker
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm

It took me a long time to find a good Amethyst on the Ford base, I have had her checked over by the MOT man also by my mechanic, also had a look underneath myself when on the ramp, had it all waxoyld and will be checked every year at MOT time, no rust under the bonnet, in fact haven`t  found any at all, fingers crossed, do keep checking.I was told the later Fords are better on the rust issues, in my handbook it says the chassis etc was treated when new.

Good luck with your search, I did go all over the country also Scotland looking at vans.there are good ones out there, just have to find one.
Best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaineteresa Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Many thanks for your comments so far. I think I need to go and have a good shufty aboutxxx
Elaineteresa
Elaineteresa

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Not yet purchased
Vehicle Year : Tbc

Back to top Go down