The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PV panel locations on Boxer Symbol roof?

+7
matchlessman
JandJ
Heanorboy
-mojo-
Paramedic
crosgor
pilchard
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PV panel locations on Boxer Symbol roof? - Page 3 Empty Re: PV panel locations on Boxer Symbol roof?

Post by Gromit Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 am

Can't argue about the Dolomites. Regrettably I can't walk far enough to make a day of it any longer. We had some great times there some years ago though. Still remember the early morning sun on the peaks! 

Pilchard - May I use your thread to illustrate a recurring "problem" on all forums.  smile!

This thread perfectly illustrates the need to be as precise and comprehensive as possible when posing a question. Until Pilchard clarified the particular conditions under which he perceived the need for a panel, it was impossible to offer fully appropriate advice. (When at first he said, "The van will be driven daily on holiday and used as main vehicle when not." the advice offered was perfectly sensible and apposite.)

At least he didn't do as one member once did on another forum.

His question was, "My fridge is busted. What could be wrong with it?" 

Loads of people tried to help and he kept coming back with a bit more information . . . until at last he revealed that it was the fridge in his kitchen at home!!  shrugg

Worst of all, the ignorant sod never once said thanks!  censored!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

PV panel locations on Boxer Symbol roof? - Page 3 Empty Re: PV panel locations on Boxer Symbol roof?

Post by marbarsymbol Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 am

One last thought now we know , a dual controller would give Pilchard the option of charging 2 Leisure batteries should he wish to go for a second.
As an aside this thread prompted me into looking at Cello rechargeable TVs for when I go off grid.
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes kaspian, and everyone else, apologies for not spelling it out fully in the first place. No matter how hard we may try to cover every angle in communication, we often fail to recognise the huge cavity we are wandering past.

Re your suggestion of supplimenting existing 75A/h Leisure Battery (LB) with another in order to double (or more) 12v storage.... Yes, but I would still need as much Solar as I could get. Some years ago I had a home done LWB Transit PVC with a Propex blown air heater, and the fan on it  killed a 100A/H LB in 2 days. I upgraded with an additional 100A/h, but that van had bags of space cos it was pretty basic with no bathroom/toilet. 

Despite being adept at minimizing what we bring with us, we will still need all the space the van has for stuff others might not need; like boots, full rainwear, thermal gear, backpacking tent, sleeping matts, sleeping bags, stove, rucksacks, Via Ferrata Kits & Helmets etc etc. 
I haven't even mentioned to the wife my small travel guitar rolleyes  
The list. as we all know, is endless, and if you pack too much in it takes ages to find/access  stuff... and would drive me nuts. 
I've decided to keep the extra battery option as just that: an option. But I wouldn't want to use any cupboard space. The battery space under the driver's seat is tiny; but I could just about squeeze another 75A/h one in if I adapt and reconfigure the existing battery space. I'll suck it and see first though. The current 75A/h should enjoy the sunny mountain days; it's Scottish winters where it might struggle.

Re "energetic"..... you know what they say.... if you don't use it, you lose it. When my time comes, I literally want to die with my boots on.
pilchard

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:13 pm

pilchard wrote:Re "energetic"..... you know what they say.... if you don't use it, you lose it. When my time comes, I literally want to die with my boots on.
You obviously haven't got the same problem as me!

I'm quite certain my knees are 20 years older than the rest of me!! Unfortunately they are not the only bits that are a long way past their "Use by" date!!  Whistle1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Dave Gromit... you know your knees better than me but... keep em moving and supported by muscle.
I used to suffer terribly from work related knee probs, but after a weekend in the Lakes wearing down the mountains they'd be fine for a couple of weeks.
John
pilchard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Oh Gromit... only just saw the previous one re "recurring problem".
Y'know, I cant be bothered looking, but could have sworn I must have mentioned that vital snippet re although regular van use at home and on hols, some days it's likely to remain static with no alternator charge. But even if I didn't... who goes on their hols and drives every single day? That would be nuts!
Anyway... use me as an object lesson if you wish. Posters have been kind, no-one has trolled me yet, so I'm in credit; I've even had a great recommend for a Tanning Foot-Spa. Can't be bad.
John
pilchard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 pm

lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:53 pm

A good days sunshine should fill the battery up even with a small panel 80w ?
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:28 pm

matchlessman wrote:A good days sunshine should fill the battery up even with a small panel 80w ?
I'm going for the max I can squeeze on my roof... 130w. 
Because... it's not always sunny, even in Italy, and especially in the mountains. Scottish winters have short days and notoriously un-sunny days. The fixed costs of having just one 80w panel, plus cable, connectors, controller are allready pretty substantial... plus the hassle, time, and work of installing it all... the £120 cost of the additional 50w isn't really a big deal. 
Is I keep saying... it's all about ones own needs. The longer I can keep going without paying the extornionate campsite charges, the better. Plus... campsites are rarely situated at the foot of a mountain from where we could just set off on foot.

Last edited by pilchard on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilchard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

pilchard wrote:I'm going for the max I can squeeze on my roof... 130w. 
You would be daft if you didn't in my opinion.  up!

The difference in price between a big one and a significantly bigger one is often surprisingly little. Worst thing would be if you were tight and saved a few quid, only to realise afterwards that the performance was marginal. Then you would have the constant niggle of wishing you hadn't been so stingy.

An easy trap to fall into though!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:02 pm

I agree, always go for the biggest you can, but it's surprising how little difference there will be in the battery state after a days charging.
Have you minimised consumption with LED lights etc.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:50 pm

matchlessman wrote:I agree, always go for the biggest you can, but it's surprising how little difference there will be in the battery state after a days charging.
Have you minimised consumption with LED lights etc.
I have done a trial conversion of just one of the Labcraft strip-lights with some ultra cheap LED elements off Ebay. 
It's here....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
pilchard

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3