The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol- high kitchen 'worktop?

+4
Greyhound
Heanorboy
RodB
Bev
8 posters

Go down

Symbol- high kitchen 'worktop? Empty Symbol- high kitchen 'worktop?

Post by Bev Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm

We love our current Duetto but she getting on in years. How we wish they were still made!
So we are considering a newish Symbol but the only sturdy worktop in the kitchen is very high - above the raised fridge.
How do owners of newish Symbols find using the kitchen? I'm only 5 foot tall!,

Thanks all. Bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Symbol- high kitchen 'worktop? Empty Re: Symbol- high kitchen 'worktop?

Post by RodB Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 am

It's not really a worktop since it is high.I'm about 5'9 and my o/h is about 5'4 but not really possible to prepare food on it.  More of a shelf to stand things like kettle   toaster mugs etc.
The kitchen is not too bad, though. The extendable shelf next to the cooker is useful as is the glass cover over the sink. Only one person at a time though, and that person has to move out of the way on request if the washroom is required by the other!
RodB
RodB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:03 am

Hello Bev

When we were looking two years ago we decided that we liked the Symbol but like you completely disliked what they had done to the area at the back of the van and the step in the newer vans to the drivers seat/cab. Also because we like the option of single beds which does not really work on the newer vans we decided on a 2012 model (ours is a Dorset but is the same van). there is no step up to the cab, the worktop is all level with the slide out at the very back of the van and the beds are very simple to make up.(well when I say we Maureen decided)
Personal choice but if you haven't looked at a pre 2013 change worth a look.
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi Bev.
Yes, go for an older Symbol 2011 through 2014 they are much better with a flat floor and beds that are ok for the taller camper.Wallis3  allthumbz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks for your responses. It is sort of reassuring to hear that others are disappointed with the 'new' Sumbol design. I thought I was just being picky!

I wonder if the designers ever look at this forum?

We really would prefer to buy something fairly new so any info from 'new' Symbol owners about how they use the kitchen ( or have adapted it!) to give a firm accessible surface fwould be great.

Thanks all. Bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:03 pm

I like the new setup.  Have no problem with the 'high' worktop.  There's a pull out section too which gives loads of prep space.

If you have an issue, they have a flip-up section next to the hob and the side that allows working at a low height.  Also you can close the sink lid and use that as a temporary worktop.

A MH is always going to be a compromise due to limited space whatever.  Put all the worktops low and tall people will complain about it.  Put them high and etc etc so I guess AS will feel damned if they do, damned if they don't sort of thing.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi Bev, would it be absurd of me to suggest you look at the Stanway? It appears to have a cosy end corner kitchen that may suit your needs. Of course the different habitation layout may not be to your liking. Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi Bev
The newer Symbol is a compromise but we generally use campsite wash up facilities so on board sink area is used for any food prep plus the hinge up side worktop. Added surface for plates of prepared food is given in the higher over fridge slide out worktop.
Having had a number of bigger vans we feel for its size it does what we want. Very few vans of this length will give you all the features that the current
 Symbol has.
Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by andyh Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Bev

We recently moved from a 2002 Symbol to new style 2014 model. There are somethings we miss about the old van (safe under passenger seat, high side windows, side access to the storage space under the single rear passenger seat, table design and use) but overall the new van is more modern in the cab, feels more roomy, drives more nimbly and has several newer features that we like e.g. refillable LPG tank under the vehicle, bigger fridge...

There are some significant differences, particularly the sleeping arrangements for single beds. The driver's side bed is much shorter than the old model but is fine for my wife. The passenger side single bed is fine for my 6' height so this change is not of importance for us. It may be for you.

In all of this, the one thing that has not bothered us at all is the higher kitchen worktop! It's ideal for the kettle when on EHU, fresh water container, etc and it has a nifty pull-out worktop that is good for food preparation. In addition, there's now an extra useful cupboard under the fridge.

Good luck with your decision:)
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks to you all for your insights and advice. What a great forum this is!
Bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by teamsaga Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Bev,
we have the later Symbol with the high worktop, we don't find it a problem. We have tried other similar length vans but at this length they all have compromises.
I think that the reason for the high worktop appears to be that A/S no longer fit the higher roof which allows for raised floor. this then means the fridge has to be raised to clear the wheel arch.
  Regards Phil
teamsaga
teamsaga

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down