The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding door water ingress

+16
pootler
little_scrote
Bollard
RogerThat
IanH
Dbvwt
Relaxez-Vous
FreelanderUK
Joefox
Kemerton-bath
batch
MJD
Windychippy
Paramedic
roli
NickJW
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sliding door water ingress Empty Sliding door water ingress

Post by NickJW Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:41 am

Has anybody any experience of the following?
One a few occasions when strong wind and heavy rain are against the sliding door side of our van (2014 Kingham), water is forced in through the seal in the sliding window. This accumulates in the channel between the metal door and bonded large window and eventually overflows and runs down the internal door panel. I believe there should be a drain hole in the large window bonding towards the rear of the door. Looking forwards from outside there appears to be a hole but on the inside no hole is visible. I've tried using some rigid wire pushing through both ways - from the outside it goes in a few cm and stops, from the inside I cannot find any hole starting point - although access is not very easy?
I have thoroughly cleaned the seal and sprayed with silicone which reduces the water ingress at its source for now.
Any help/suggestions appreciated.
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Sliding door water ingress Empty Re: Sliding door water ingress

Post by Guest Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 am

I have recently had this with our 2014 Warwick XL. I removed the inner trim panel and the blind and found it was coming in where the sliding frame meets the glass. It was also coming in over the top of the fixed glass where it meets the door frame
   I think ,not certain, the constant slamming of the door has broken the seals. I resealed over the top of the glass, sealed around the sliding frame where it meets the glass inside. I also cut away some of the sealant at the bottom where the fixed glass meets the door frame so there is an extra drain if the water still gets through. The sliding frame drain hole is so small it must be blocked. Have blown it through with an air line which has worked up till now. You cant push a small wire though its so tight. So far it has,nt leaked and we have had a lot of rain. Be carefull with the edge of the glass don't use anything metal it can shatter if you hit the edge. Steve.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks Steve, how easy was it to cut an extra drain hole - did you do it from the inside or outside and what did you use?
Cheers, Nick
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi, it took a little while , i used a long Stanley type blade and just sawed away slowly. I made the cut against the glass rather than the door in case i scraped the paint and it could rust.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Oh yeah ,did it from inside.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm

OK great thanks, I'll give it a go.
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:17 am

Our Warwick goes into AS for that very problem (under warranty)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 am

I did call into my AS dealer last week on return from Cornwall when the problem was at it's worst (during the recent stormy weather). They said it was a Peugeot problem as the windows are originally fitted & supplied by them so I'd need to contact my local Peugeot service centre.....
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:16 pm

NickJW wrote:I did call into my AS dealer last week on return from Cornwall when the problem was at it's worst (during the recent stormy weather). They said it was a Peugeot problem as the windows are originally fitted & supplied by them so I'd need to contact my local Peugeot service centre.....
May need to confirm that dealer statement is correct given that roli is to readily have the very same fault repaired under A/S warranty. There was a recent thread mentioning that A/S remove the glass (or not) so as to fit darkened window effect so becomes their responsibility?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes, it seems the dealers all too often try to push you on elsewhere whenever possible! As our van is now out of warranty (2014) I'll have a go at fixing it by both opening up the existing (blocked) drain and supplementing it with another.
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Sorry, I didn't take note of your van's registration.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Sliding door water ingress Thumbn12

Hi Nick
Above is a pic of our vans sliding window. If you look just under the bottom of the sliding track you see the 2 vertical drain tubes, these are very flat and if you pour some water into the bottom track you may see water coming out from the sides of the drain tubes as when Peugeot attach them to the glass they use a blob of adhesive which tends to block some of the drain holes.
 Ours were blocked so being only 18 month old A/S replaced the whole window assembly. As stated by other members its a Peugeot problem but A/S need to tint the window so it becomes there problem (£700)    A/S sort the drainage problem out by taking the flat drain tubes of and then reattaching them (carefully) before the window is stuck to the van door.  I did when first discovered try to unblock from outside but damaged the paintwork and you can't really drill down from above as risk of touching glass and shattering. If your brave you could try removing the drain tubes but I don't know if there attached to the bottom sliding channel. In the bottom pic. you can see how carefully A/S had re attached not only the drain tube but it looks like they have resealed the bottom sliding channel as well.  Hope this helps if not seal the window with  Vaseline.   Cheers Windy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am

Many thanks for the detail Windy, this helps a great deal, I'm sure what you've described is the source of the problem in our van. This is evidence of water running down to the left of the left side drain tube (in your lower photo), this is then filling the channel between the main glass and door, eventually overflowing and running down the inside of the door.
Interesting that from the outside, if I probe with wire, I can feel ridges where these drain tubes should exit through the main window seal but cannot locate any holes - certainly no water is exiting here.
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Nick
Each end of the bottom sliding channel is a rectangular shaped drain box and the (hole) is actually a narrow slot on the bottom outside face. So you will not be able to locate the hole from below and only from above if you know what to look for. A thin piece of wire with the end bent at 90 degs. will help locate it.
Are you saying both drains are blocked ?  Have you removed the door surround and blind to have a better look.    I poured some boiling (very hot) water into the little boxes and noticed water coming from either side of the front drain tube.  Mark at A/S said the only way to clear it is with compressed air which I tried to no avail. By the way have you tried the offside window drains, mine were OK.
Sorry can't give an easy fix for you.  If mine was out of warranty then would have tried something but can't say what!
Cheers Windy
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MJD Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi Nick,
I had the same problem on my 65 plate Warwick Duo, rainwater came in through the sliding window and ran down inside the van door.
I contacted my dealer (Motorplus) who said it was a Peugeot warranty job, Peugeot then said it was an Auto - Sleeper job as they supplied the vans without tinted windows and they were an after market fit.

This went argument went back & forth until Mark at Motorplus spoke with my Peugeot dealer, who then agreed that it was a Peugeot job.

Apparently The vans do come from the factory without tinted windows but I believe AutoGlass do the tints for Peugeot.
The seal around the window was damaged on my van when they were first tinted causing the leaks. It was not blocked drain holes.

AutoGlass fitted a new window under warranty and touch wood no more leaks.

Regards John
MJD
MJD

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks all, I have put water down each drain using a syringe, nothing through the forward drain and very slow drips through the rear drain. The offside drains are OK. I'll first try compressed air if that doesn't work then see if I can carefully remove the drain tube......
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Nick
Interested to see how you get on as a DIY fix is needed in case this happens to other vans as they get older.
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am

I've had limited success with this. On closer inspection, having removed the panel & blind, I can see the drain guides run down against the glass and through the seal extending to flush with the bottom of the glass. The cause of the problem is the drain guide being squashed flat against the glass through the seal preventing water running through. As the drain guides are not sealed along their edges, any water simply runs out either side and fill the channel between the glass and door. There is also a drain hole in this channel at the rear end of the door - in my case this was blocked, hence the channel filling up and overflowing down the inside of the door. I tried to pull the drain guide out through the seal but it's too well adhered although I did eventually manage to get a few drops of water to come through. I've also (silicone) sealed the edges of the guides and cleared the drain hole in the rear door/window seal. I'll leave it there for now ensuring the sliding window seal keeps clean and lubricated (using silicone spray) and hope for the best. If not, I'll probably have a go at cutting the seal behind the drain guides although the access is not easy and I'm concerned about glass/door paint damage......
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi
I have just noticed that we have the exact same problem with our Kemerton. Have done as suggested removed the inner trim and the blind and unsuccessfully tried to clear the drain hole's, I am assuming that the water should drain from the sliding window channel down the flat tube and exit the out side of the van at the bottom of the window, as this doesn't happen and just fills the gap between the bottom of the window and the van door eventually overflowing and soaking the interior trim that the drain holes must be blocked. Has anyone got any other suggestions on how to resolve this problem, alternatively if I have to go to the Peugeot garage does anyone know if the garage has a means of clearing the drain holes without taken the window out if they have to take window out can they re- fit the same window or will it have to be replaced with a new window.
batch
batch

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by NickJW Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi batch,
I've taken no further action following my last post - so far I've had no further problems with the inside channel filling up and overflowing - despite some pretty horrendous weather. As mentioned before, I did manage to get some albeit limited flow (slow drips) through the drains by careful probing and prodding, but I think the key point is to ensure the sliding window seal is perfectly clean and well lubricated - I've used a silicone spray lube. As reported elsewhere, my dealer blamed Peugeot but also as reported in this post, the drains are likely blocked during the window tint process - presumably sub-contracted by Autosleeper.... In other words, nobody wants to own the issue!
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:57 pm

NickJW wrote:Hi batch,
I've taken no further action following my last post - so far I've had no further problems with the inside channel filling up and overflowing - despite some pretty horrendous weather. As mentioned before, I did manage to get some albeit limited flow (slow drips) through the drains by careful probing and prodding, but I think the key point is to ensure the sliding window seal is perfectly clean and well lubricated - I've used a silicone spray lube. As reported elsewhere, my dealer blamed Peugeot but also as reported in this post, the drains are likely blocked during the window tint process - presumably sub-contracted by Autosleeper.... In other words, nobody wants to own the issue!
Hi Nick
Unfortunately there is not the slightest sign of a drip (apart from those that appear inside the van)  I have prodded and poked with various tools but to no avail.
I will try cleaning and spraying the window seal with silicone, but still some how need to clear the drain holes.
batch
batch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi All. Are there any updates/fixes on this problem. Im having this issue now with my Warwick xl 2017
Peugeot won't fix despite being under warranty also want me to pay them to investigate and Autosleeper say base van problem not them. ATM water drains out bottom of window to outside no problem. but in heavy rain we end up with a water stain near rubber block at front of door.
Any help advice appreciated. Thanks in advance:up!:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi, haven't been on hear for a long time as we no longer own our Kemerton. If you think the the drainage holes are blocked the only way (as far as l know) of clearing them is by using a high pressure air line starting from the outside blasting up through the point where the water drains out. It certainly worked on ours. The problem is that the entry hole and the exit hole are not in line so impossible to clear it with a piece of wire. Hope this is of some help.
batch
batch

Male

Windychippy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:08 am

Same at Batch reports in our case, except the hp air was directed from inside, blasting downwards.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks for advice. I have a compressor so will just have to give them a regular blast
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next