The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water ingress in VW T5 van sliding windows

5 posters

Go down

Water ingress  in VW T5 van sliding windows Empty Water ingress in VW T5 van sliding windows

Post by frederic Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Are there any known problems involving water ingress on the VW Transporter bases, especially the T5. side sliding windows?
Any tips on how to keeping the drain channel and very small drain hole clear??
Any schematics on the windows? 
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Water ingress  in VW T5 van sliding windows Empty Re: Water ingress in VW T5 van sliding windows

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Washed our van with the hose-pipe yesterday, no leaks round the windows but I see what you mean about the drain holes. I'll investigate tomorrow, if it stops raining!

I did find that the black gutters around the hi-top were clogged with short pine-needles from a recent stay under some trees- blasted them out with the hose, and cleaned with the Lakeland brush (see separate earlier thread).

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Water ingress  in VW T5 van sliding windows Empty Re: Water ingress in VW T5 van sliding windows

Post by frederic Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Be ultra cautious with hoze pipes and pressure washers are a no-no!!
When the van was demonstrated I recon any dirt in the seals was disturbed and this may have caused seepage. Will be talking to the VW main agents to get some info from the horses mouth I hope
All info welcomed.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Yes, it's a very well known problem with T5s. My nearside sliding window leaks, and the van is only 6 months old.

I'm told that if you send it back under warranty, they smear silicon grease on it and give it back. Only if you complain again do they fix it properly (new seals?). I should add that this is only hearsay - I will find out soon, I guess!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 pm

I had a look at the windows today; a bit of crud around the tiny drain holes but nothing serious on a 6 year old van. Put a pipe-cleaner down as far as I could (which was not far) water seems to drain away.

I would never use a pressure-washer for anything other than cleaning the path, or underside of a boat. agree3

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 pm

-mojo- wrote:Yes, it's a very well known problem with T5s. My nearside sliding window leaks, and the van is only 6 months old.

I'm told that if you send it back under warranty, they smear silicon grease on it and give it back. Only if you complain again do they fix it properly (new seals?). I should add that this is only hearsay - I will find out soon, I guess!
Celex? Have Auto-Sleeper taken over Bilbo's, or perhaps the other way around?

My guess is that if VW are smearing any sort of lubricant on their window seals it will be  Du Pont Krytox and will certainly not contain silicon. Don't ask how I know this. biggrin
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:39 am

Just noticed the change of van Rick - when did you do the swop?
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:24 pm

frederic wrote:Are there any known problems involving water ingress on the VW Transporter bases, especially the T5. side sliding windows?
If your T5 was one built late 2004 to 2006 (ish) you will have a problem will leaking side windows, unless they have been changed under warranty. This was a disaster for VW when the T5 came out and a bit of a joke. However those built from 2007, have a revised design.

Mojo, I've had three T5 vans 2008 and onwards, side windows never leaked. If your new van windows are leaking then this is not a usual defect on the post 07 vans.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Water ingress  in VW T5 van sliding windows Empty Leaking windows.

Post by Andy Cheetham Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:15 pm

My side window on VW Trident 2005 was leaking and was informed a manufacturers fault.
Anyway it was as cheap to have a new window fitted by windscreen centre and now fine.
Like buying a new house,you never see the faults till later.
Regards
Andy.
Andy Cheetham
Andy Cheetham

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident 2005. 2.5tdi

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Off side sliding window insert replaced at Marquis Tewkesbury Service Centre.
Easy when all trim & plastic work removed. Cost about £100 (+ VW insert £100) so worth getting done if under warranty.
One could do it ones self, as the trim removal did not seem to hard.
Near side would be easier.
Fault seemed to be the disintegration of the location rod sleeves, on the ends of the pull up rods, that act as stops.
Replacement rods now have shaped smooth metal ends so they will not breakup/wear! 
Track &  Window Seal lubricated with 'Krytox' waterproof grease/lubricant (VW recomendation)
Note late (2009 onwards) may have the modified rod ends.
So don't open the windows if they are watertight and if you have to, make sure that you ease the location rods into the stops, don't let them snap in on their own!!! AND keep seal clean.
Fingers crossed now
ps I have the old insert window.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down