The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leisure battery in Duetto

+2
Paulmold
Dynamic
6 posters

Go down

Leisure battery in Duetto Empty Leisure battery in Duetto

Post by Dynamic Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:07 pm

A silly question, but how do I get the battery out from under the drivers seat in my 2010 Duetto?  
I want to put it on charge whilst not using the camper but could not see how to remove it. The handbook just says where it is positioned.  When my son in law had a look he  could not see how to remove it despite undoing a bolt which secured both batteries in place.  He has put it back and I intend to take the camper to a local garage who will be doing its service in March.   I then thought about the forum!   
Can anyone help?

Sue
Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Leisure battery in Duetto Empty Re: Leisure battery in Duetto

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 pm

If you cannot get at it by pushing the seat as far forward as possible then you need to remove the seat which is very heavy, so be warned.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by willconquerer Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 pm

I wonder why you want to remove it ? it's a big job, can you not charge it using the onboard mains charger by connecting a hook up and selecting 'Hab' on the control panel.

If you do want to remove it, there are 5x8mm bolts securing the seat and a slide out cover with a plastic toggle locating it at the front edge. Getting the battery retaining straps out is quite a job, I would go for charging in situ if at all possible.

Last edited by willconquerer on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
willconquerer
willconquerer

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : warwickduo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Oh!!!    I assumed it was a battery like a caravan leisurebattery and would have to be removed to charge it.  I can connect via hook up (it’s at the back of the house) and will look for hab on the control panel.  I have seen ‘ leisure battery and a %  charge so assume I need to click to that.  I will look in the morning in daylight.  
Thank you once again for help.

Sue
Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:29 pm

To remove the leisure (habitation) battery from a MK7 Transit (the Duetto base vehicle), you need to undo the 5 Torx 40 bolts which hold the driver's seat in place. This is an easy job, but be warned the seat itself is quite heavy and you may need an assistant.

When the seat is out, you will see both the hab battery (the one in front) and the vehicle battery (the rear one). They are held in place by a clamp which as a couple of relatively hard-to-get-at bolts securing it in place (watch out for the gas tube that lets hydrogen escape under the floor and make sure that it is not left disconnected).

The on-board power unit will not fully charge a hab battery (it is a power unit, not a charger), but it will do a fair job of getting some useful charge into it.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 am

Many thanks for this.  Now it is daylight I will connect up.
Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:13 am

Dynamic wrote:Many thanks for this.  Now it is daylight I will connect up.

I would be grateful if you will post the manufacturer and model number of your electrical system?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by willconquerer Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Spospe wrote:To remove the leisure (habitation) battery from a MK7 Transit (the Duetto base vehicle), you need to undo the 5 Torx 40 bolts which hold the driver's seat in place. This is an easy job, but be warned the seat itself is quite heavy and you may need an assistant.

When the seat is out, you will see both the hab battery (the one in front) and the vehicle battery (the rear one). They are held in place by a clamp which as a couple of relatively hard-to-get-at bolts securing it in place (watch out for the gas tube that lets hydrogen escape under the floor and make sure that it is not left disconnected).

The on-board power unit will not fully charge a hab battery (it is a power unit, not a charger), but it will do a fair job of getting some useful charge into it.
We had a Mk7 Transit Duetto and both the front seats were held in with 5 x M8 Hexagon Head Bolts and was fitted with a very good 3 stage Plug-in-Systems Battery Charger under the long offside seat/bed at the rear end. It would seem that both Ford and Auto Sleeper fit whatever they have to hand to a degree
willconquerer
willconquerer

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : warwickduo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm

willconquerer wrote:
Spospe wrote:To remove the leisure (habitation) battery from a MK7 Transit (the Duetto base vehicle), you need to undo the 5 Torx 40 bolts which hold the driver's seat in place. This is an easy job, but be warned the seat itself is quite heavy and you may need an assistant.

We had a Mk7 Transit Duetto and both the front seats were held in with 5 x M8 Hexagon Head Bolts and was fitted with a very good 3 stage Plug-in-Systems Battery Charger under the long offside seat/bed at the rear end. It would seem that both Ford and Auto Sleeper fit whatever they have to hand to a degree

This seems a bit odd, as the Torx bolts are original Ford fit and it seems strange that AS would throw them away to replace them with other bolts. It is quire true that the detail of these vans does change quite a bit, but why throw away perfectly good bolts and pay for substitutes? Odd.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Sorry for delay in posting make & model of electrical system.  It is  EC325 PSU and although I cannot see a manufacturer’s name on the unit in the Duetto handbook it says certified by Sargent with space for a signature.  
  I also realised when reading through all the info re the system that it says the battery is charged in situ!   I am thick and on a learning curve.
Thank you for all the help.   Sue
Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 pm

EC325 PSU is a Sargent unit with built in battery charger, which only charges either the Vehicle battery or the Habitation battery dependent on where the switch on the seperate control panel is directed.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down