The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer gear oil level and hard change

3 posters

Go down

Boxer gear oil level and hard change Empty Boxer gear oil level and hard change

Post by Bill Silvester Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 pm

I have some thoughts on raising the level of the gear oil in Boxer type boxes.

Some years ago we raised axle oil level on some Seddon Atkinson tractors. These had reduction hubs that seemed to run a little dry.

A simple fix was to fit a M and F elbow into the filler hole, turn the elbow to the vertical and close it with a pipe plug. In this case the filler had a standard BSP thread.

I think I will check out the thread on the Boxer and see if a similar, but much smaller elbow could be fitted.

My gear change is too stiff when moving across to 5th and reverse. That both gears are a problem tells me that this is most likely a spring problem, rather than sychro hub. I have lubed the cable ends and all linkages; the other gears are slick and easy.

Has anyone tried to lighten the spring on this change? Any info most welcome.

I have tennis elbow in my left arm!

This had me thinking.
These vehicles are for the most part left hand drive. I suspect that the whole change assembly is a fudge to provide right hand steering. Further, changing with your right hand would be a more natural action, pushing away from the body, rather than towards it. I am thinking about cranking the change lever by about 30 degrees, making a change more of a lift than a push.

Any experiences would be of interest.

Bill Silvester
Bill Silvester
Bill Silvester

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Boxer gear oil level and hard change Empty Re: Boxer gear oil level and hard change

Post by Bartfarst Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 pm

Bill,

Just clarifying, your issue is going three notches across the gate from R on the left to 5 on the right? If so then I think you must have the improved later gearbox, which ought to be a positive thing!

I share your view that the Boxer shift is engineered for LHD and so Reverse always feel a little too strong (due to selector spring forces) to engage pushing away from one whereas it would be fine pulling it towards one. However I would take another look at the mechanism outwith of the gearbox. When I serviced my clutch I took the opportunity to dismantle the 'bell crank' type mechanism close to the gearbox which translates the movement of the cables. The bearing surfaces within were in a very poor dry state on examination. So I cleaned it all up, heavily greased it and the gear shift was transformed.

I personally don't feel that raising the gearbox oil level would bring the benefits you seek. The selector mechanism inside the box ought to already be splash lubricated by the general revolving of gears etc. Further, some seals which are currently above the oil level may then be immersed in oil risking seepage.

Hope this helps?

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Boxer gear oil level and hard change Empty Re: Boxer gear oil level and hard change

Post by boxerman Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Bartfarst wrote: Further, some seals which are currently above the oil level may then be immersed in oil risking seepage.

Bartfarst
I refill my box with 3 ltrs of oil instead of the 1.75ltr<?> recommended. I was advised to do this years ago by someone who had had a gearbox failure in France and the mechanic told him to overfill the box in future.I have a slight weep around the diff seals but that is all.
Can't say that the box is any better or worse than one with the normal amount in because I don't have another to compare it with.
Mine's the early type box.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 pm

Frank, I recall one weakness with these boxes, other than letting water in, was keeping fifth gear  appropriately lubricated. I think the issue is that fifth gear is 'grafted' onto the outside of what was originally a four speed box. I suspect this to be the motive for over filling in this case: do you agree?

Good to hear that oil doesn't come out the seals when you overfill though.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 pm

Yes Stuart, that's what i reckoned when Brian told me about it. I think you know me enough by now to know that I don't follow blindly hugegrins

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 am

Absolutely Frank. I think we both recognise the need to establish the real 'Why and Wherefore' before reaching for the spanners!

Stuart
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Silvester Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 pm

My gearbox has 5th and reverse over to the right. That is why I suspect that it is a spring problem rather than a hub problem.

I have had another idea.

Could drill the 5th gear cover and weld in a higher level filler point
Bill Silvester
Bill Silvester

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Silvester Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Another thought.

I used to drive a Boxer that was a friend's work van. This was in daily use and that also made my arm ache!  I think that blaming lack of regular use is therefore a red herring.

As an aside.
I few years ago I drove a Mercedes truck with electric gear shift. The gear stick had a damper to give it some feel and slow the change. Between Bristol and Manchester and back I had an aching arm! 

Maybe it is my problem,
Bill Silvester
Bill Silvester

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:36 am

Bill Silvester wrote:Could drill the 5th gear cover and weld in a higher level filler point
If your gearbox is the early type, fill it through the reverse light switch hole.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down