The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick gear change lever extension.

4 posters

Go down

Warwick gear change lever extension. Empty Warwick gear change lever extension.

Post by Nick Woods Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:56 pm

I hope this might be useful for others who have a Peugeot Boxer-based camper. The Warwick particularly seems to have rather cramped accoms for the driver, but being fairly short I can cope with that. However, I found the stubby gear-shift lever gave balky changes (our RV is still low-mileage) and it required me to lean forward slightly to engage the upper register gears, enough to make my back uncomfortable. 

Recently I found an extension for the lever which solves all the problems. The gear knob simply unscrews but is very tight, and I attempted it several times before plucking up the courage to get it off, having confirmed that it wasn't locked on or integral with the rod. The adapter has M12x1.25mm threads to suit this application. The result may look a bit old-fashioned but it really works!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nick, in Diss, Norfolk
Nick Woods
Nick Woods

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Warwick gear change lever extension. Empty Re: Warwick gear change lever extension.

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks, NW.

The shoulder wrenching gear change was one reason we changed to the auto.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Warwick gear change lever extension. Empty Re: Warwick gear change lever extension.

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:17 pm

If the gear stick is longer, does it not then make the upper gears further away  scratch head
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:Thanks, NW.

I have the same problem and wish I had an auto, but wondering would changing the van be more painful than changing gear, not the cost but unknown new problems.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm

rgermain wrote:

I have the same problem and wish I had an auto, but wondering would changing the van be more painful than changing gear, not the cost but unknown new problems.
----------
Richard
That's a big consideration, Richard. Our 2020 isn't so well put together as our previous 2017. The Fiat seems tinnier than the Peugeot, too.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Woods Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:11 pm

RogerThat wrote:If the gear stick is longer, does it not then make the upper gears further away  scratch head
I understand your point but the answer is no because the gear stick projects towards you at quite an angle from the dash even before you add circa 4" to the length. You can get shorter extensions, but I rigged-up a bit of wood first to see how it felt, before opting for the one I got. The bias spring for the reverse detent fits against the end of the extension without needing modification, though I've shrouded mine with a bit of plastic pipe for neatness. Of course, you need to slide your hand down the gear-stick shaft to lift the reverse detent and push the lever over, but it all works very nicely.

Nick
Nick Woods
Nick Woods

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:54 am

Tinwheeler wrote:
rgermain wrote:

----------
Richard
That's a big consideration, Richard. Our 2020 isn't so well put together as our previous 2017. The Fiat seems tinnier than the Peugeot, too.
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, better the devil you know etc up!
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:13 am

rgermain wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:
rgermain wrote:
----------
Richard
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, better the devil you know etc up!
---------
Richard
Yep, if you can live with the gear change, I'd stick with it but if you do change, the auto box is a stunner.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down