The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Routine servicing to gear change linkage

+4
-mojo-
peugeotboxer
redturner37
micknhilary
8 posters

Go down

Routine  servicing to gear change linkage Empty Routine servicing to gear change linkage

Post by micknhilary Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi All,
As part of my ongoing servicing I thought I might lubricate the top end of the gear change mechanism. i.e. that located under the rubber gaiter at the base of the gear stick. Having  unclipped the gaiter I suddenly thought that I didn't really know the best lubricant to use.
The vehicle is a 1998 Symphony with a 2.0L Peugeot petrol engine.

Any advice would be most welcome.     scratch head

Mick
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Routine  servicing to gear change linkage Empty Re: Routine servicing to gear change linkage

Post by redturner37 Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Unless there are grease nipples just squirt plenty of engine oil on the linkage.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Routine  servicing to gear change linkage Empty Re: Routine servicing to gear change linkage

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Roli used WD40 on his and others have used 3in1 oil.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:07 pm

WD 40 isnt really 'tough' enough for a job like this. and 3-in 1 is very light and great for the cupboard hinges.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestions I am now even more confused.

Mick
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:11 pm

I'd suggest that the heavier the oil/lubricant, the more likely it is to stay where you put it. WD40 may be fine to loosen up a linkage where the lubricant has dried out but it won't leave enough residue behind to be effective long-term. 3-in-1 would be better but still rather low viscosity.

When I installed a Getrag box in one of my cars I used moly grease on the upper linkage because I had easy access and could just smear it on - knowing that most of it will stay where it's put. If you only have access to squirt lubricant in then I would choose the heaviest oil you have to hand - new engine oil probably wouldn't be a bad choice in that case.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:38 pm

I use WD40 White Lithium Grease where a heavier lubricant than 3in1 or WD40 is required.

It sprays into tight corners, sticks well and doesn't run off, and has good lubricating performance.

I used exactly this for the gear cables and ball joints on our new van, and it made a noticeable difference.

In fact this has reminded me that I need some more:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:01 am

If you suspect the gear linkage is stiffer than it should be, the problem is far more likely to be at the other end of the cable. When changing the clutch on my 2005 Mk2 Boxer I disassembled and greased the mechanism on the gearbox which translates cable movement into operation of the selectors: situation transformed!

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:48 am

meanchris wrote:I use WD40 White Lithium Grease where a heavier lubricant than 3in1 or WD40 is required.

It sprays into tight corners, sticks well and doesn't run off, and has good lubricating performance.

I used exactly this for the gear cables and ball joints on our new van, and it made a noticeable difference.

In fact this has reminded me that I need some more:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Exactly what I would use for that application. White Lithium spray grease.  up!

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:56 am

Just another thought: at the top end if I recall correctly the bearing surfaces are metal on polymer of some sort. As proposed by others, I would have thought white Lithium grease could be OK, but some lubricants may cause the polymer to swell. The most cautious approach is to perhaps redistribute what's on the joint already and leave it at that.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:12 am

Bartfarst wrote:If you suspect the gear linkage is stiffer than it should be, the problem is far more likely to be at the other end of the cable. When changing the clutch on my 2005 Mk2 Boxer I disassembled and greased the mechanism on the gearbox which translates cable movement into operation of the selectors: situation transformed!

Bartfarst

I forgot to mention that I lubed both ends of the mechanism on both my vans, with good results.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks everyone.  My gear change is perfectly fine. All I'm am doing is trying to keep it that way by a little judicial  lubrication.
I have ordered some White Lithium Grease from Halfords which I will pick up shortly.

Mick      allthumbz
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pioneer Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Manufacturers, Fiat, Peugeot etc, all use the white lithium grease as standard, so glad you eventualy got a can to do the job. Once lightly sprayed on the linkage operate the gear stick a few times and spray again for good measure. I spray the linkage every couple of months.
Pioneer
Pioneer

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016 Veh

Back to top Go down