The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol shower water pipe leak

4 posters

Go down

Symbol shower water pipe leak Empty Symbol shower water pipe leak

Post by Chaddie14 Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I have a Symbol and the piping behind the shower room panelling to the shower head is leaking; whenever the water pump is on, with every tap off the pump kicks in for a second or two every minute or so and water is dripping from under the van cill in the region of the shower. I assume a pipe has come loose or leaking but can anyone advise the sequence of dismantling the panelling so as to get it back together again? Or is there any way to access the pipes.
Any advice would be helpfull
Chaddie14
Chaddie14

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Symbol shower water pipe leak Empty Re: Symbol shower water pipe leak

Post by boxerman Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Don't know how to access the pipes to the shower taps, but if your 2006 Symbol has a similar setup to my '95 Symphony, the the panel facing the nearside rear door comes off after removing a series of screws down each side and across the bottom. Then pull the panel out at the bottom and down to release the top.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:56 pm

If I remember correctly you access the shower taps from inside wardrobe but I can't remember how.
Found it...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 pm

There's a removable plastic panel in the wardrobe on the lefthand side.  Removing this gives access to the rear of the shower mixer.

Hope a complete strip-down is not required.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 am

There certainly wasn't a removable panel on early models, obviously AS saw the need for users to be able to have access on late models, hope that's the case on Chaddies.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaddie14 Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for the responses; there is a round 75mm access hole in the back of the wardrobe through which i could just reach the shower mixer pipes. Turns out that there's a pair of standard type braided flexible connectors from the mixer to the red and blue pvc pipes and it was the hot braided flexy that had sprung multiple pin hole leaks. But to access the connections between the flexy and the pvc piping I had to remove the 90 degree panels inside the wardrobe forward nearside corner that cover the third seat belt attachment (these were simply screwed on with plastic cover so that was easy, but once loose the panel is too long to come out the wardrobe so it had to stay in and I worked around it). But the wardrobe back panel had been installed first and screwed into the back of the main panelling from behind and it also continued up past the wardrobe top shelf which was also 'built in' and cannot be removed. So rather than total demolition of the entire third seat, and wardrobe, I opted to cut across the rear panel (which is very thin ply so easy to cut) about 250mm below the top shelf, starting at the loose edge normally covered by the 90 degree panel and cut horizontally back to the shower room partition. It was then only attached to the wardrobe/shower partition and to the wardrobe lower shelf with the screws from behind that cannot be accessed. So i gently burst it off the screw heads and could then remove the panel. This exposed the piping sufficient to get in with two hands and arms (only just because the wardrobe is quite narrow) to allow the flexies to be disconnected from the pvc piping using two shifting spanners on the tap-connector type fittings. Then I just managed to get a small spanner round the back of the mixer tap to undo the nut that secures the mixer to the shower panelling, then I could withdraw the mixer into the shower room and undo the flexies from the mixer. Reversing the whole process will be possible and I'll renew both flexies while i'm there rather than just the hot one. The back panel was hardly damaged whilst being pressed off its screws so it will go back on with glue and some brown corner blocks, and there is only about 200m of saw cut to disguise which I'll do with some brown pvc trim strip. With the back panel removed I also managed to remove the screws that had secured it using a very short dumpy screwdriver so that they were out of the way for gluing the panel back on
Not an easy job but reasonably straightforward.
Certainly these pipes were built in, never to be accessed readily.
Thanks again for your help on this.
Chaddie14
Chaddie14

Male

Member Age : 70
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Glad you're on the way to sorting it. What a pity no thought was given to future repair when designing the layout. So often things like plumbing and water pumps are fixed in place first and furniture built around them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Well done, Chaddie.

Glad it's sorted.

G