The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water filler pipe leak

3 posters

Go down

Water filler pipe leak Empty Water filler pipe leak

Post by Catko Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:04 pm

1995 Boxer AS Symphony
I have sprung a leak somewhere between the filler cap and the water storage tank and don't know how to get to the pipes to try to amend. Water pours out between the sill and the chassis when I fill up, but not otherwise. Am fearful of adding more rust to the rust.......I see from the diagrams that the filler pipe has 2 bends (joints)? in it and I don't know how to get to them. Can anyone help?
Catko

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Water filler pipe leak Empty Re: Water filler pipe leak

Post by boxerman Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:42 pm

I too have this problem, I unscrewed the filler assembly from the body with the intentions of sussing out replacing the pipe, but it was stuck fast to the bodywork so I decided to leave it for another day [which never came].

To fill up, I use a length of transparent flexible plastic half inch tubing with one end cut to a point and a Hozelock fitting on the other end. The pointed end allows me to feed the tube right down into the tank and therefore past the leak in the filler hose.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenvid Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:32 pm

What a coincidence! I just discovered I have a leak in the pipe between the filler cap and the fresh water tank on my Ford Transit Duetto 2002. 

This was as I was filling up today, ready to travel down from Yorkshire to catch the Dover-Dunkirk ferry on Thursday.

I came to the forum for a 'Help' search and was amazed to find the topic raised today.

I will probably try an emergency temporary bodge (with HB42 or CT1), to hopefully last for my trip, but as I am passing Brownhills on the way down I was also thinking about picking up some pipe and replacing the day before I travel (overnighting with relations Tuesday/Wednesday).

I am presently unsure of the diameter of the hose is it 40mm or 38mm? I see Brownhills stock 40mm; but checking on line, my fairly local O'Leary motorhome shop in Beverley seems to stock 38mm? It looks like there might be more than one size used!

I also note the comment of the hose going through the bodywork. It looks like I have the same issue. I guess it, too, is sealed with something like Sikaflex or CT1?

Any help from anyone else familiar with tackling this job would be greatly appreciated.
Jenvid
Jenvid

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Transit Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenvid Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Sorry - in my case, it is a complete false alarm (egg on face). I have just been under the van again to examine the pipe more carefully. What I now realise is that I had drained the system before refilling and had forgotten to close the drain valve on the water heater! The drain tube comes through the van floor right above the filler pipe that runs between the filler cap and fresh water tank. Hence, as I was filling up the tank, the water was exiting through the water heater drain, making it look like the pipe was leaking.

There is a reason why I immediately assumed a damaged filler pipe: a couple of weeks ago I had a rear tyre blow out (I will write that up separately as a cautionary tale). When the tyre disintegrated it slashed through the waste pipe running from the kitchen sink to the drain pipe. It also ripped off the mudflap. I needed to replace both. (If anyone ever needs any help on replacing the drain pipe on a similar duetteo, private message me; it is fairly straightforward). I did check carefully for other damage and concluded I was lucky not to have incurred more - which I was. For a time today, I had begun to think otherwise!

I hope boxerman and catko get sorted, and will follow the thread with interest - in case I ever do need to change the filler pipe.
Jenvid
Jenvid

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Transit Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down