The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiamma roll out awning advise

+4
Gromit
repoort
Paulmold
carrie vib
8 posters

Go down

Fiamma roll out awning advise Empty Fiamma roll out awning advise

Post by carrie vib Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:22 pm

confused3 Hi we have a peugeot boxer autosleeper symbol year 2000. It hasn't got a wind out awning on it like all the others I have seen 2nd hand.
We would like to put one on the side to make fixing a drive away awning more easily (as you can adjust the wind out a bit then and is easy to fit by putting it into the awning rail on the side of the fiamma). However I have no idea what fiamma (or any other make ) to get to do this.
Some are hugely expensive.
Does anyone know what we need to get or have a second hand one that would fit? Also can we get one without screwing into the van?
thanks carrie
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Fiamma roll out awning advise Empty Re: Fiamma roll out awning advise

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 pm

First thing to consider is do you really need one. Damned expensive thing to buy. To fit a drive away awning you only need a C rail fastened to the black roof strip and then attach the awning to the rail by the use of 'figure of 8' strips, really easy, no sliding into the Fiamma.  If you buy a motorhome with a rollout already fitted, then it's a bonus but to add one is costly.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Thank you that is helpful.
What black strip on the roof do you mean? we have the high top symbol. I'm not sure where it should fit? is it the black around the side? Also how do the C strips fit and what are they. Sorry to ask such silly questions
Carrie
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Black strip between roof and body.  C rail is a length of awning rail the same as you get on a caravan. It can be screwed to the black strip.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 pm

...you might also consider a Caravanstore roll out awning...not quite as substantial (or costly) as a Fiamma, but has the advantage that it need not be permanently attached to the van, as it can slide in or out of the "C" section awning channel....so you can just put it on when required. 
I keep ours in the back bedroom, in the warm and dry. Bought off ebay for £110, size is a 225cm, had a 190 before, too small. Your bigger van might take something a bit longer.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 am

That's really helpful. thank you both. We are not safe to be let loose screwing a C rail onto our campervan. We don't have any camper places here. Any ideas where we could take the camper to get a C rail put on? Also how do we work out how long it should be? do we do it the full length of the black strip? We live in Oxford so if anyone reading this who does this kind of thing lives near by - please get in touch. thanks
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am

Also does the caravan store roll out also have an awning channel at the outside edge of it to connect things to? thanks
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am

repoort wrote:...you might also consider a Caravanstore roll out awning...not quite as substantial (or costly) as a Fiamma, but has the advantage that it need not be permanently attached to the van, as it can slide in or out of the "C" section awning channel....so you can just put it on when required. 
I can only report at second hand here, and these awnings do seem to be very good. BUT . . .  

I would suggest you "try before you buy" if possible, specially if no-one in your party is particularly tall. My tugger friend had one and found it quite a chore to put it away after use. He's about 5' 9", but he couldn't reach to roll it the last foot or so into its storage bag, so he had to use a step. This was not easy when holding a fairly heavy roll of awning which was determined to fall on his head and unroll itself. (I did try not to laugh out loud, but that's literally what happened on one occasion when he lost his balance! Whistle1 )

Joking aside - it's a good suggestion, but try it first if you can.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am

carrie vib wrote:Also does the caravan store roll out also have an awning channel at the outside edge of it to connect things to? thanks

Not as far as I know, but it wouldn't work in the way you envisage if it had.

You will have to see one in the flesh before making any decisions.

This image from their website shows what I mean. The roll of awning hangs in the bag, which zips open to remove or replace it.
A very good product if you can physically handle it, but I don't think it's what you are after.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fiamma roll out awning advise 8e5a2ff0-e58e-4978-9629-0d858410e99e_ad4b98e4-a94b-4eb9-b0a2-32e6da234d1f_grande
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 am

Fiamma store has to be rolled out fully to work. I would not attach C rail to black plastic but to high roof just above it,,,Fitted one to mine last year and it works excellent.If you already have a drive away awning you will only need the C rail which you can buy as a 3 pice kit from E Bay.BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 am

You can actually attach a drive away without a C rail. Figure of 8,'s will actually attach to the top edge of the black strip (it's just like a gutter), the tension from pegging down the awning will hold it in place, so make sure your awning is the right height.. Figure of 8's usually come in packs of 3. Simply slide them onto your driveaway and clip them onto the black strip. A  C rail is just a permanent attachment that you could use for awning or sunshade such as a caravanstore.
Nothing to stop you attaching a C rail by a sealant adhesive such as Sikaflex, you wouldn't have to screw it on, or get a mobile caravan engineer to do it. You'll find one on MCEA website.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:47 pm

I don't know if all drive away awnings are the same, but the Ventura Freestander has a really simple method of securing the 'tunnel' as an alternative to using Kadar strips or attaching to awning rails. 

Two lengths of paracord, threaded through tennis balls, with the other end tied to the 'tunnel', throw balls over van roof and peg paracord taught on opposite side of van. 

I never tried this, preferring to attach to the Fiamma canopy, but it would be an easy fix without the hassle.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Great thank you . That sounds a good alternative. Thank you so much to everyone . I have now got a lot of great ideas.
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21 am

Hi,
We very quickly abandoned a driveaway awning which fixed to the 'van because of the difficulty of bringing the van back to the correct position after each time we moved.  We ended up with a suitable tent whose entrance was covered by the van's Fiamma wind out awning if weather required it.
John
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 pm

When staying on site for a couple of weeks we erect our freestanding awning well away from the van,,don't see why it needs to be joined to it,,BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I'd be interested in knowing what freestanding awning you have Bushby65 and what tent you use Maricardo?
We have already got 2 x Quechua 2 second bases which we use joined together as they are so fast. They are fine for a few days but not quite enough space or light to sit in, when the weathers nice, or are too dark and enclosed when weather is rainy and all doors closed. So we want something along the line of a living room space at least 3 meters by 3 meters with a wide opening and with plastic window options when raining. I have looked at the Khyam screenhouse which looks great and fast to put up but seen too many reviews of the rain blowing and the joints breaking. we don't want to be away and not be able to use our awning. and so any advise over a good tent or free standing awning would be great. easy and fast is important so it doesn't lead to divorce! thanks
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Bushby65 - I see we have the same campervan as you other than yours is 2 years newer. Any tips? we have hardly used ours and this year is exciting as its hopefully had all the repairs needed. We had leaks from water pipes, rusted sills from the leaks, head gasket blew, gear box needed replacing, gas leak fixing. plus leak from rain coming in front window which needed new windows and holes in the frame repaired. This was after paying a lot for it to a dealer who advertised it as excellent condition. We had no joy getting them to do anything about it other than the window. We nearly took them to court to go for the money but were advised that it can go either way. As due to the age of the vehicle it could be that the judge would decide that is what happens. We felt we might win as the van was not fit for purpose as all this was found out within one day to 3 months after having the vehicle. but in the end was couldn't chance a bad judge who might decide against us and then need to pay legal costs. The van is the actual model we wanted as suits our use. Warrenty it came with covered the head gasket but nothing else. We always pay for check on cars we buy and would have done with this but there was someone else looking to buy one at the garage and interested in it so we jumped too quickly and that was a big mistake (we won't make again).  So having paid about £2500 on top for all the work we just decided to put it behind us (other than the loan to pay for the work) and enjoy using it! It only has 35000 miles on it (legit as checked it out) so no idea how it ended up needing so much work other than the last owner didn't use it for about 5 years so just sat there in his drive we think. But ideas of things to look out for to keep in good working order would be great if you have any.  thanks Carrie
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Also Bushby 65 (sorry to keep asking you questions). what size C rail did you buy (no idea how long it should be)  and how did you fit it to the van? is it glued or screwed in? none here will touch it. I have asked various people inc place that does campervan repairs.
would you mind loading a photo of it so I can see where you fixed it? thanks
carrie vib
carrie vib

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:45 pm

maricardo wrote:Hi,
We very quickly abandoned a driveaway awning which fixed to the 'van because of the difficulty of bringing the van back to the correct position after each time we moved.  We ended up with a suitable tent whose entrance was covered by the van's Fiamma wind out awning if weather required it.
John

I totally agree, why bother to fix it to the van. Get yourself a Khyam Motordome, erects in 5 mins and the same to take down, had ours for 4 years and still like new.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Its an outdoor revelation move light. 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.3 high..can put it up and peg it in about 15 mins....Bought the rail in a 3 piece kit off line and cut one piece to make the length correct.It is sticky backed and pre drilled so stick it in place and then drill and screw. I mounted it about 2 ins above black plastic moulding so that caravan store sits on the side of the moulding and does not chaff on the van paintwork..Have had the van a year,,had a Symphony a few years ago. Mine is 1977 cc non turbo diesel with 34000 miles on the clock. Did 6000 miles last year on the Continent . Had to have a wheel bearing replaced when we got home..Since owning it have had to have a new diesel night heater and charger for the leisure battery. It hadn't been used much and this is what causes most problems.I always take mine out for a decent run once every two weeks,,fire the diesel heater up and light the fridge on a regular basis and leave it on electric hook up when parked. They need use..Sorry can't do the photo  because i don't know how,They are a great van,,,we use ours mainly abroad for 6 months every year,,Happy camping,,BUSBY 65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by carrie vib Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Thank you all that's so helpful.