The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine Stalling

4 posters

Go down

Engine Stalling Empty Engine Stalling

Post by Diana Walker Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:43 am

Hi
Can anyone help me as my local garage has given up? I have a 1997 Transporter SWB Auto  2461 cc Petrol engine VW  Nearly every time I set of on a journey, when the engine is cold, my engine will stop as I am driving along the road or as I am slowing down. This usually happened within 5 to 10 minutes. I wait 30 seconds, start the engine no trouble and then it won't happen again until the engine is cold again. If I am doing very short journeys one after another ,eg. 1 to 2 miles it may not cut out until the 2nd or 3rd journey. The garage has replaced the coil and the temperature gage for the auto choke. The auto electrical garage has checked the wiring. It has been going into both off and on for a couple of years now and it is getting more frequent. It is my main form of transport.

Diana

Last edited by Diana Walker on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repeted myself)
Diana Walker
Diana Walker

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trouper

Back to top Go down

Engine Stalling Empty Re: Engine Stalling

Post by -mojo- Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Short-lived intermittent problems like this are probably the most difficult type to solve, as they leave behind no evidence to work on.

One thing you could do is to take a look back through the old threads in the Engine section of the UK VWt4forum and see if the symptoms match any that have been reported before and fixed. I have a hunch it may be linked to a problem with the fuel injection system, with air getting into the low pressure side of the system while the engine is off - but that's just guesswork, based on almost no detailed knowledge of a T4 petrol engine!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherman3 Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:09 pm

if the t4 has a distributer.(where the plug leads are)check the thin low voltage wireconnected to said distributer it might be loose when the engine is cold and vibration is more noticable.i had that prob on my talbot autosleeper.it is easily overlooked.i must say i am not familiar with the t4.george.
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:07 am

Similar problems I have encountered over the years were a fuel pump (Ford Galaxy) and fuel pump relay (Vauxhall Frontera), both were petrol engines and I would suspect the pump be the culprit (though the relay is a really easy fix and costs peanuts!).  Good luck getting it sorted.
Betty's Mum
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down