The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cambelt confusion

+6
Dave 418
IanH
Snowwolf
Fixer
Dave Gee
johnFram22
10 posters

Go down

Cambelt confusion Empty Cambelt confusion

Post by johnFram22 Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm

At our 4 year service in October 23 on Symbol Peugeot Boxer mk3, despite it only having done 18,000miles MH dealer flagged up as advisory a cambelt replacement before its 5th birthday. Since the MH dealer is not as convenient for me as our local (reputable) Peugeot dealer, I rang to arrange for them to do the job this spring instead of the MH dealer. They took the VIN number and messaged back a copy of the recommended service intervals which shows that for my engine the job should be done at 10 years or 87,000miles for arduous conditions. The service engineer said it was too soon to be needing to replace the timing belt so I am following his advice. The MH dealer is a Fiat commercial service centre and I wondered if that could account for the disparity in advice given. Anyone else had such confusing advice?
johnFram22
johnFram22

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Cambelt confusion Empty Re: Cambelt confusion

Post by Dave Gee Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:14 pm

I think the problem with MH's is that, by their very nature, they can be static for extended periods of time and the belts become stiff and lose their 'elasticity' for want of a better word leaving them prone to deformation which might mean they jump off the pulleys whereas a normal van will be used near enough every day and the belt will never lie in the same position for much longer than a weekend.  It's much the same for tyres, a van tyre will always be on the go whereas MH tyres can sit in the one position.

That's why I and others take the vans out for a good run once or twice a month, stops flat spots appearing on tyres and keeps the the engine, brakes and belts in running order but not everyone can do that, especially if the van is in storage.  The Peugeot dealer may have taken the VIN number but  he may just see it is a Peugeot Boxer and assumed it's a van rather than a MH.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Jupiter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by johnFram22 Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:26 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Dave. I too run our van a couple of times a month during the winter, and it gets used quite late in the year and early in spring. The Peugeot dealer was aware that it is a motorcaravan,  even so I will change the belt long before the 10 year point!
johnFram22
johnFram22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:56 pm

I think that the commercial applications are 4 years and a delivery vehicle can easily rack up big miles.
My last one being a Fiat was the same but I had it changed a bit over 5 years along with the tensioner but the water pump was absolutely perfect so was left alone. The old belt was still like new (22000 miles)
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowwolf Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:13 am

It’s normally the water pumps that fail, which causes the head gasket to fail
Snowwolf
Snowwolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pm

Cheapest part under the bonnet. £ thousands if it fails. Slightest doubt, change it and that includes pulleys. Tensioner and water pump. Only ever use kits by GATES.
Any new vehicle to me, irrespective of past history gets it done automatically
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Suppersready likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:47 pm

Not related to motorhomes but managements 58 plate Fiesta had done 40,000 miles when we bought it two years ago. There was no mention of the cam belt being changed in the service records so for piece of mind we had a full kit fitted due to age not milage.
The days of safe engines if a cam belt breaks are long gone. Fitting a cam belt at the roadside on some engines wasn’t much harder than changing a fan belt. On the other hand timing chains rattled until they wore through the metal cover.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:24 pm

I’ve read the interesting and informative replies to the original post but I’m still none the wiser with regards to my own van which is pretty much the same as the O/P.
2018 Boxer with only 11k on the clock. SORN for the past 2 years between Nov/Apr but gets regular use at all other times if not massive miles.
As far as I’m aware it’s a 10 year renewal but thoughts would be welcome.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:29 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I’ve read the interesting and informative replies to the original post but I’m still none the wiser with regards to my own van which is pretty much the same as the O/P.
2018 Boxer with only 11k on the clock. SORN for the past 2 years between Nov/Apr but gets regular use at all other times if not massive miles.
As far as I’m aware it’s a 10 year renewal but thoughts would be welcome.
Might it not have a chain?

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 pm

Dave 418 wrote:Not related to motorhomes but managements 58 plate Fiesta had done 40,000 miles when we bought it two years ago. There was no mention of the cam belt being changed in the service records so for piece of mind we had a full kit fitted due to age not milage.
The days of safe engines if a cam belt breaks are long gone. Fitting a cam belt at the roadside on some engines wasn’t much harder than changing a fan belt. On the other hand timing chains rattled until they wore through the metal cover.

You are lucky with a 58 plate, our 19 plate Fiesta has a belt that runs in sump oil! Change takes up to 16 hrs! advised at 10years old. I have it serviced bang on time and make sure the Main Dealer uses the correct oil also. 

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:52 pm

rgermain wrote:
Might it not have a chain?

Richard

No idea Richard hence my request for thoughts on my particular situation. There once was a time when I would have a go at most mechanical jobs on my vehicles but that time has long gone  smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:53 pm

I contacted Peugeot uk via email and also local Peugeot agent to clarify when my Jan 2019 boxer due cam belt. Both replied 10 years. Service schedule supplied with van on A4 sheet of paper???. also states ten years. My personal intention is to have it done at 8 years at second 4 yearly service which is split by 2 yearly oil change as per schedule. Actually I have changed oil annually but probably not needed but feels right!
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

rgermain and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:58 pm

Kdc wrote:I contacted Peugeot uk via email and also local Peugeot agent to clarify when my Jan 2019 boxer due cam belt. Both replied 10 years. Service schedule supplied with van on A4 sheet of paper???. also states ten years. My personal intention is to have it done at 8 years at second 4 yearly service which is split by 2 yearly oil change as per schedule. Actually I have changed oil annually but probably not needed but feels right!
Same as me, change oil and filter in between 2 year service.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Cambelt confusion Empty Engine

Post by Snowwolf Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:34 pm

Kdc wrote:I contacted Peugeot uk via email and also local Peugeot agent to clarify when my Jan 2019 boxer due cam belt. Both replied 10 years. Service schedule supplied with van on A4 sheet of paper???. also states ten years. My personal intention is to have it done at 8 years at second 4 yearly service which is split by 2 yearly oil change as per schedule. Actually I have changed oil annually but probably not needed but feels right!
Is yours the 2 litre ad blu ?
Snowwolf
Snowwolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:55 pm

Snowwolf wrote:
Is yours the 2 litre ad blu ?

Yes…..
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Bakfoot66 Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:14 pm

My understanding with regard belt or chain driven.
Plastic cover on the left hand side of the engine is a belt. Chain is generally internal so no need. 

Just bought our 2018 Peugeot based van so told the dealer I wouldn't buy without a belt change. This is signed as having been done, with other things. I've been under and there are signs it has been. I will change again at 5 years.
Bakfoot66
Bakfoot66

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down