The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear boxes for offset bike rack?

+3
Bulletguy
Heanorboy
BobJstone
7 posters

Go down

Rear boxes for offset bike rack? Empty Rear boxes for offset bike rack?

Post by BobJstone Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and not long got an Autosleeper Stanway fitted with a Fiamma Bike Rack on the rear right hand door . The rack has rails which extend over the left door and I've been told by Fiamma that there is no storage  box available that can be put on the rack as it is "offset". Has anyone come across the same problem and if so are there any solutions to this. The storage in the van is OK but not for chairs etc especially if going away for 3-4 weeks   Any advice would be very welcome.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : STANWAY
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Rear boxes for offset bike rack? Empty Re: Rear boxes for offset bike rack?

Post by Heanorboy Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:55 pm

maybe wrong but I has a fiamma 500 which I use on mine

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi David, I assume you have had no problems with the box or the bike rack. When I spoke to Fiamma Agent they said the problem was that box wasn't centred at the upright in relation to the bottom part on the rails which would make it unsafe. Not sure they weren't just covering themselves if anything went wrong?

Many thanks for your reply.

Bob
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi David, I assume you have had no problems with the box or the bike rack. When I spoke to Fiamma Agent they said the problem was that box wasn't centred at the upright in relation to the bottom part on the rails which would make it unsafe. Not sure they weren't just covering themselves if anything went wrong?

Many thanks for your reply.

Bob
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Bob

I can't understand exactly the reason you've been told this. If it's a Fiamma rack then there should be a box model to fit. Give these people a call; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

You might need to email them a photograph of your rack which will help them identify if you don't know the model number.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Bulletguy,
Many thanks but that was one of the ones I spoke to and when I quoted the type and model of rack I had he checked with someone and came back saying there were no suitable boxes for that rack. 
Am thinking about trying  a "cargo bag" to try and see if there are any obvious problems .
It does seem odd that Fiamma supply a bike rack (new one) and has no corresponding box for it.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:42 pm

I have a fiamma box (shortest) on a fiamma bike rack mounted on the off side door of a Warwick.  I did shorten the bars.
Watch where you position the box so it does affect the rear offside lights
Not weighed the contents but I have a 24ltr water container, large levelling ramps, bread trays for parking on, foot scraper, toilet blue, waste water bucket, welly clogs, possibly other bits
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi Roger,
Many thanks for the info- I knew there must be some way of doing it. I just think Fiamma are keeping themselves in the clear if anything goes wrong and I can see the problem with overloading it but like you it's the same sorts of bits and pieces I need as there isn't room for them inside the Van. 
Thank you again,
Bob
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:24 pm

If I get chance when we get home will take a photo and post it on here
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:30 pm

That would be great, thank you
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:38 pm

I have the same as Roli. Chopped the the tyre bars and adapted a Fiamma 180 box( not sure they make that size now) and bolted on. I think the recommended max. weight is 37 kg. I did read somewhere that Fiamma recommend bolting the lower attatchment bar through the door, but I decided against that. Just mark the door where the brackets fit to make sure there is no movement. Works for me.
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi,
Many thanks. Sounds like with a bit of adjustment it works. Think the smallest box they do now is the 320 which is the one I was looking at. Cheers Tengah74
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Our back box looked like this on the Duetto.

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Machloop wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Our back box looked like this on the Duetto, fitted well and never gave any problems.

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:45 pm

Great, thank you so much.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:40 pm

BobJstone wrote:Hi Bulletguy,
Many thanks but that was one of the ones I spoke to and when I quoted the type and model of rack I had he checked with someone and came back saying there were no suitable boxes for that rack. 
Am thinking about trying  a "cargo bag" to try and see if there are any obvious problems .
It does seem odd that Fiamma supply a bike rack (new one) and has no corresponding box for it.

Hi Bob

Indeed it does seem odd! I always thought there was a box for each rack model. My van came without any rack or box so i began scouring ebay. I soon realised the chance of dropping on a used rack of the right type/model i needed was very slim so bit the bullet and and ordered a new one. They aren't cheap! Mine is a 200D model and cost around £185. The back box is a 180 model and i did get lucky on that finding one on ebay in mint condition and snapped it up at a bargain £50.

The box sits on the bike rails and secured to the rack with four large U bolts. The grey plastic pieces (where cycle wheels would rest) are adjustable and pushed up against each side of the box to resist any sidewards strain. Once fitted up its a very secure unit.

The photos below show my rack and box

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Tengah74 wrote:I have the same as Roli. Chopped the the tyre bars and adapted a Fiamma 180 box( not sure they make that size now) and bolted on. I think the recommended max. weight is 37 kg. I did read somewhere that Fiamma recommend bolting the lower attachment bar through the door, but I decided against that. Just mark the door where the brackets fit to make sure there is no movement. Works for me.

Somebody on AS forum posted photos of a rack they had modified because they wanted to mount it on the nearside rear door rather than offside. They didn't have any rails but made up some brackets to support the underside of the box. It looked a very neat job and quite substantial.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Many thanks, unfortunately Fiamma no longer make the 180 which would be perfect looking at the photos. The smallest they do now is the 320 which is longer and would go over part of the left hand door which I would think might make it unstable. Think a. bit of adjustments needed to the rails but haven't quite worked it out yet.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

BobJstone wrote:Many thanks, unfortunately Fiamma no longer make the 180 which would be perfect looking  at the photos. The smallest they do now is the 320 which is longer and would go over part of the left hand door which I would think might make it unstable. Think a. bit of adjustments needed to the rails but haven't quite worked it out yet.
As I previously stated I rightly or wrongly have the 500 box on the back of my van when we go away longish term for all of the lighter bulky stuff, external screen cover bagged chairs etc  the extra width does make it much easier to get things in and I don't have to cram things in and bear in mind the Dorset is only 5.4mts,

it has been suggested that I should drill and bolt the bike rack to the door but as the top fixing cannot move down I cannot see any point

yes it does go almost all the way across both doors but then again so do the two bikes which weigh similar and surely would have the same off-set weight problems,

I have the fiamma light board fixed under the rack to be on the safe side as no matter what size box you have it is difficult to see the van lights if you are slightly to the side and not directly behind it and similar with two bikes partly blocking the lights.

DAVID

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:10 pm

BobJstone wrote:Many thanks, unfortunately Fiamma no longer make the 180 which would be perfect looking  at the photos. The smallest they do now is the 320 which is longer and would go over part of the left hand door which I would think might make it unstable. Think a. bit of adjustments needed to the rails but haven't quite worked it out yet.

Yes i know Bob but if that's the size you are after it's well worth sticking it on permanent search in ebay as a used one will come up for sale. It didn't take me long to source mine. People sell the boxes, it's the bike racks that rarely come up for sale.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi David ad Bulletguy,

Many thanks for your help and advice. I feel now there is something I can do as after speaking with Agent Fiamma it all sounded pretty hopeless. Will look into E bay and put onto permanent search- again something I just found out I can do- thanks again for everything.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi,,i have the same rack which i need for my cycles so had two chequer plate boxes made and fitted them below the rack onto the doors..Hard wood battens on the outside and bolted them through the doors and used large plates on the inside...MettalisticUK made them. £200 each delivered..BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi, many thanks for the information. I'll have a look at that- my project for the winter months, thank you again.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down