The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing Symbol

+2
Paulmold
bertb
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Replacing Symbol - Page 2 Empty Re: Replacing Symbol

Post by bertb Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:55 pm

OK BUSBY65, all noted. We looked at a 2015 Symbol yesterday and it was very cramped especially that shelf over the fridge. The small stage they have built at the front takes up a lot of floor space and is a trip hazard, IMHO! I like the concertina blinds and the wind-up Heki roof light and the microwave oven (they could leave out the main oven for me although it makes a reasonable cupboard) So back to a Dorset or earlier Symbol. We have gone mad with the budget and even thought of new but 2013 will be new enough I think.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Update:
Good day all. We have decided on a late Dorset, 2012/13. Rare as hens teeth by the looks of it but a local'ish dealer has one. So I sent off an email using their "Get a quote" box Sunday. So far nothing. Now here is someone offering to buy a M/H for circa £37,000. Have they so many sales that an enquiry is just not worth bothering with, they don't want our old van or some clever sales ploy that I don't understand?
They have my email address and phone number and I realise yesterday was a Bank Holiday but if one of my salesmen wasn't on the phone to a customer first thing he'd be out the door. 
Recession, what recession?
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri May 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Taken the plunge. Bought 2013 Dorset with 11k miles. Just what we wanted got good trade in for 12 year old Symbol.
I think the electric plate on the hob is a good idea and I am sure we will make use of the microwave oven. Hoping to need the A/C too!
One question that I have is the tax on this van. I have paid for 6 months at £129. I had in my mind that Euro V cat vehicles were taxed at a lower rate. The Symbol is £235 a year so nothing saved by changing.Not a deal breaker but I'm confused, even more so after reading the Governments "Guidance notes"
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Fri May 06, 2016 5:37 pm

bertb wrote:Taken the plunge. Bought 2013 Dorset with 11k miles. Just what we wanted got good trade in for 12 year old Symbol.
I think the electric plate on the hob is a good idea and I am sure we will make use of the microwave oven. Hoping to need the A/C too!
One question that I have is the tax on this van. I have paid for 6 months at £129. I had in my mind that Euro V cat vehicles were taxed at a lower rate. The Symbol is £235 a year so nothing saved by changing.Not a deal breaker but I'm confused, even more so after reading the Governments "Guidance notes"
I don't think emissions count with vans its just PGV at that weight but if van is over 3500kg tax is LPG which is cheaper,,,Good luck with new van,,,BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Fri May 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Yes both should be taxed as Private Light Goods vehicles and emissions don't count in that tax category, it's one price fits all.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri May 06, 2016 7:02 pm

OK thanks both. Collect it at end of month so lots of sleeps to get excited. It certainly looks well equipped, including a rear view camera. Shame about that user unfriendly radio though. If I can set it for 180 minute delay that will do. I swapped out the radio in the current Symbol but I think that's a bit more complicated on the new one.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Fri May 06, 2016 7:12 pm

I thought you'd be after the one from Don Amott's BB, but that's got 25K miles, so it can't be. Surprisingly there are four X250 based versions on Autotrader which must be something of a record.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun May 08, 2016 5:34 am

Went to see it but it was sold STA. Not very helpful staff didn't take my phone number or email and more or less shrugged when I asked about anything in stock like it.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun May 08, 2016 6:27 am

I've only ever been to that dealership once, about six years ago and that was the way I was treated too. They obviously don't like customers upsetting their day.

They obviously don't expend much effort in updating their advertising either as the Dorset is till listed on Autotrader.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 am

It was parked outside with trade plates on last Tuesday week, the 26th April! Asked if we could look inside and told it was sold so fair enough, I wouldn't want anyone poking about in 'my new van'
Funny place.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri May 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Hello again all.
Right, we now have a 2013 Dorset with 11300 miles on it and it looks like new.
After several hours spent playing in it on the drive I have narrowed the 'problems' to 3. I managed to get the handbrake extender to fit the lever without too much trouble. The screws are too short but longer ones will not fit using the existing system. But I think longer screws all the way through the clamp with their own nuts might.
First problem. Switching to hab battery brings on the red led flashing for about 5 seconds and then the panel, EC51, turns off completely. Switching to vehicle battery brings everything on OK. The Sargent manual doesn't mention 'flashing' leds so I'm a bit stuck. I cannot find any blown fuses and it was working originally. I now have it plugged into the mains. Which brings me to problem 2.
Is there a switch to turn off the microwave oven?  At the moment it's on but there is no need. Just thought, I could turn off the MCB for the oven. But there should be a switch local to the appliance to turn it off quickly.
Problem 3, probably the most important. The toilet door latch is very temperamental. Sometimes it takes many prods of the outside button to get it to open and the same getting out. I have tried 'flicking' it and pushing it hard in all without consistent success. I cannot see how to get the latch apart, there appear to be no screws or clips. The two long rods to the top and bottom catches seem loose but they do move and it's the main mechanism that is jamming.
Two more features I have not seen mentioned are a switch under the sofa, on the water heater side. Doesn't seem to do anything, not even the microwave!
And on the drivers end of the underbed panel there is a 12v socket, accessible from the door side next to the fuse box. Not had time to check if it's on permanently which would be good or comes on/off with hab battery. We shall see......
Other than that everything looks OK, even sorted the radio off time!
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri May 27, 2016 7:03 pm

bertb wrote:
First problem. Switching to hab battery brings on the red led flashing for about 5 seconds and then the panel, EC51, turns off completely. Switching to vehicle battery brings everything on OK. The Sargent manual doesn't mention 'flashing' leds so I'm a bit stuck. I cannot find any blown fuses and it was working originally. I now have it plugged into the mains.

What is the leisure battery voltage? The Sargent manual refers to flashing LEDs to indicate a situation where the leisure battery is below a critical level, and below which the panel will automatically turn itself off.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri May 27, 2016 8:07 pm

I don't know mojo, I will go out and check now. I cannot see that it is/was below 10v. We had the tv on for about 30 minutes and nothing else. It's not been charged since Wednesday but it's not been used for any living in.
When I take off the battery cover I might find out what the switch is for on the side panel.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri May 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Sorted!
You were almost right mojo. The main 20A inline fuse from the battery had blown. So not even 10V.
Plus I know how the extra 12V socket is fed. Directly from the HAB battery via a 10A fuse. And the added switch is a 12V feed to somewhere under the floor. Again via a 10A fuse from the HAB battery. Here's a thing, in the paperwork that came with the van is a sheet of paper referring to a heated tank blanket. No invoice or instructions. Would a tank blanket be 12V? Not looked on line so no idea.
And another thing! While I was out there I tried the loo door and guess what? Every time it worked properly, inside and out. Not happy with it so another search online.
Thanks mojo.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sat May 28, 2016 10:27 pm

There are 2 tank heaters fitted to the underfloor tanks and they are 12vdc. No indicator light so a bit iffy if off EHU in the winter and they are running the battery down. And the pipework is still un-insulated so that could freeze anyway.
The loo door catch seems to be temperature related in that this afternoon it became tricky to operate. I think the mechanism can be removed by unscrewing the bezel, there are no screws anywhere.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun May 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Sorted the loo door catch. The fixing screws are behind the vertical rods. Could not get the catch apart so bought new 1 locally, £7.99. Need the little plastic catch plate now!
Got the tv working. The antenna wiring is a mess. Weak signal from Sutton Coldfield line of sight here. One of the F type connectors had been overtightened and broken the nut from the body of the plug. Fitted a new one now got all four LED's lit on signal strength indicator. Wired up a 12v plug to the tv connector but the stupid thing would not stay in the socket! Luckily there was a super duper plug in a drawer so that worked OK.
Now considering reversing sounder. Big snag is I cannot see how to remove the rear light clusters. The handbook says from inside remove 2 screws and the whole assembly comes off. But there is no way to access the lights from inside, toilet one side and fridge the other. There is a removable panel on the wall rear offside and that gets you to the back of the lights but cannot feel any screws or bolts. Certainly cannot see anything.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2