The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing Symbol

+2
Paulmold
bertb
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Replacing Symbol Empty Replacing Symbol

Post by bertb Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Good day all. We are looking to change our 2003 Symbol. So far I cannot find a value for ours which means we really don't know
how much the replacement can cost. We have a budget of around £15000 to add to it. I don't like the later Symbols due to the 
changes to the fridge position. I think 2009/10 is about the year when that changed? I have spent an hour or so trawling the i'net
and not found much around those years. Can anyone advise on the Marquis names? The replacement has to be on the short w/b 
chassis 'cos the drive is that deep.
Ours has done around 55,000 miles and has no defects and all the original equipment and apart from the under powered 1.9L engine it's
been great, hence replace with the same again.
Any thoughts?
Bert
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Replacing Symbol Empty Re: Replacing Symbol

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:08 pm

How about this 2008 one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There's a 2003 one on EBay for £19k which means you should get around £14k for yours so it should be in budget.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:52 am

Why couldn't I find them yesterday Paul! There are several around that year and price which gives me a better idea, thanks.
When we bought this one, in 2011, we traipsed round dozens of dealers for months and I don't want to do that again. Especially as we are happy with a Symbol.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:19 am

I listed all the used Symbols I could find a week or so ago and then worked out an equalised list if values.

An 'average' '03 should retail for £21k, so a dealer would give you about £16k for it and a private buyer would be happy to buy at £19k or so.

The base vehicle changed to the X250 in 2007, though there don't seem to be any Symbols of that year about. A 2008 one should retail around £29k with average motorhome miles of about 30k and in nice condition. Higher miles, wear and tear and lack of service history should reduce those values.

The high roof disappeared and the new layout appeared in 2013MY
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for all that info STA, really useful and saved me some hours!
Plan A is to go to the dealer we got this one from as he seems OK. We told him what we were after and he did all the leg work and it's turned out fine. We may look at other layouts or vans, I'd like a bigger loo room, but the Symbol does everything we want.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:05 am

There aren't too many alternatives at 5.4m long. Move up to 5.99m and there''s lots of choice, though whether their washrooms are larger can be debatable. 

In other brands Devon and Murvi do or have done 5.4m and Adria launched a 5.4m Twin Van last year. The Symbol is relatively unique, though you can go down to 4.9m and try and find a Horizons Unlimited Cavarno 2 which has 4 belted seats, an oven, 3 way fridge and washroom with Thetford, basin and shower. They're relatively rare but we'll built and based on a SWB Transit.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:24 pm

I thought I had posted another message but cannot find it so here's an update. Upped our budget so looking at newer vans. So shortlist now is Stratford,Symbol,Dorset,Trigano Tribute and maybe Romahome R30 (not seen one in the flesh yet) All around 2010/11. I didn't realise the Stratford was on the MWB. And it looks as though the floor level/hightop change was about that time, both Symbol and Stratford have the steps up to the cab. My wife has mobility problems so I'm hoping I can make a short ramp to help her. Mind you once she's in the cab she stays there 'til we get back to site!
Just been looking at 2011 Symbols and seems the floor is level, 'ish. So looks more likely it's now at the top of the list. Especially as the Stratford only has a double bed choice.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Remember that the Stratford has a compressor fridge (only 12v/240v), so won't last more than a couple of days without hook-up., and the double bed is across the back. If looking at other makes, have a look at East Neuk Campervans but rather rare secondhand.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:27 pm

The bed across the back would be OK Paul and a rear lounge looked a good idea it was the lack of single bed choice that put me off. We rarely use single beds in the Symbol but the option would have been nice. As for the fridge yes I noted that but had no idea of the current drain but guessed it would be a fair bit. 
So the Stratford has moved down the list! Just checking out East Neuk Campervans. We also have Vectra Motorhomes in Tamworth, what were they called before?, but they are mainly bespoke makers, Cavarno 2, Very good though, we went there 4 years ago when we were first looking at vans.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:38 pm

East Neuk Motorhome let down by website. No prices, some of the details date from 2013 and there are no layout diagrams. The picture of the slide out loo door is weird, not clear where the wash basin is and how the privacy works. And when it's "out" it blocks access to the front. So I think that's a 'no'
Thanks for the mention though.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:50 pm

The slide out washroom is only on the Touring S, did you look at the Touring M, 5.4m, 2singles or double..

very rare secondhand. I looked at one at the NEC a few years back and they came then with solar panel and a huge 125amp battery under the floor. They were very innovative. The only bit I didn't like was the kitchen behind the passenger seat.
There are two S's for sale on Ebay which gives better idea of washroom and both not too far from you.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi, we have just changed to a Symbol ES from a 2000 Symbol like yours. The advantage is the you can rotate BOTH front seats properly into the living area which is a bonus for us and we like the single bed arrangement as well. The van is just under  six meters but has a bigger bathroom with a really great cooker which actually has an oven that works.

Last edited by Flying High on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:04 pm

I thought the Symbol ES was identical to the standard Symbol, except it had a fourth single belted seat on the offside instead of the bench?

Vectra used to be Horizons Unlimited who built my Innovation 1 and it's stablemate the Cavarno 2. Very good vans for 4.9m long but very rare. Horizon s Unlimited seemed to fall apart about 5 years ago and Vectra just don't seem to have got their mojo back since. Their website says they can build their old design vans, but only on used chassis, presumably due to Type Approval issues on new models.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes the fourth single forward facing seat belted seat behind the driver instead of the bench it allows the drivers seat to be turned around into the habitation area a full 180 degrees. The bed is still there only it collapses onto a seat configuration. The only downside is the storage space which was under the bench seat.

Best regards Mike   courtesy

Last edited by Flying High on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional text)
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:08 pm

As a rider to this, it also allows more space in the living area, you can actually seat four at the two tables for dinning area allowing you to entertain guests.

Best regards, Mike   courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:11 pm

If you think about it PVC's can only be made in the lengths that their 'donor' vans are made.

In the case of the Sevel vans Boxer/Ducato/Relay those lengths are 4.963m (16ft 3ins), 5.413m (17ft 9ins), 5.998m (19ft 7ins), 6.363m (20ft 10ins)
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks for everyones comments. As we are Billy No Mates space for guests is not needed! And the lack of storage really would stress me out. So that's the ES dealt with.  :)
Horizons Unlimited, of course. I used to get emails from them at one time and invitations to MH shows. Shame when companies cannot be successful.
Having had a long chat today and deciding that the car will not be replaced; 1500 miles a year versus 5000+ for the van, upped the funds AGAIN!
We will have to see a new(er) Symbol with the step up to the cab and decide if that's a deal breaker. If not a 2013 or even 2014 is what we will focus on. If not 2011 it will be. We have been very happy with ours and no, we didn't name it although my friend referred to it as Berts' truck. The return on 'savings' being so bad enjoying the great outdoors will be much more satisfying.......
(Plus the taxman won't get his hands on it)
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Just a rider to that, more storage space above and in front of the turned seats when parked. Also lots of space whilst traveling as you use the space behind the front seat as it looks like a small storage area.
Ok on Billy, we all cant be the same. The thing I don't like about the newer Symbol is the lack of upper windows, used to love peaking out of them in the early morning.
Keep hold of the old girl as long as possible, best of luck what ever you plump for.
Best regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:22 pm

OK on the 'missing' upper windows FH. On the other hand it's 2 less blinds to rattle!
Plan B is to check out a post 2012 Symbol to see how the change in floor levels upsets my wife.
The higher fridge is not an improvement, IMO, but the addition of a microwave oven even at that height will
be useful to the cook. The gas oven/cupboard could go as far as I'm concerned. We take a mini electric oven but if the new works that can stay at home.
Thanks to everyone for their input, I'll keep you up to date.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:20 am

Don't forget it's not a 'higher fridge', the fridge is at the same height as on the previous model, it has to be to fit over the wheel arch. It's the rest of the furniture that's lower because there's no longer a false floor in order to provide enough headroom without the GRP roof extension of the earlier Symbol. That's also the cause for the step into/out of the cab. Personally I think the exterior of the van isn't so good looking with the standard metal roof either.

One tip I got from ASOF is to look at the Dorset as an alternative to a later Symbol as the Dorset retained the GRP roof and therefore the flat floor and level worktop. I know it got the microwave but I'm not sure if it had the nearside seat/gas locker/gas tank changes as well. There are fewer Dorset's about but they might suit your wife's mobility probs better.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:26 am

Deleted 'cos it was rubbish!.
Back later with a sensible comment.

Last edited by bertb on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:50 am

There are two Dorset's below £39,995 on Autotrader at present.

Oh and a private sale 2010 3 litre job near Hereford for £34,000 on Caravansforsale, which seems a high price for a private van of that age. Maybe they think the bigger engine adds value. Sadly it's before A/S got their act together on fitting colour matching accessories externally and I'm bemused by it sitting on a neat plastic sheet, but it does have the microwave.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:25 am

Yes I realised that wasn't what I meant after I wrote it.
I am off to do more research.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm

steamdrivenandy wrote:I listed all the used Symbols I could find a week or so ago and then worked out an equalised list if values.

An 'average' '03 should retail for £21k, so a dealer would give you about £16k for it and a private buyer would be happy to buy at £19k or so.

The base vehicle changed to the X250 in 2007, though there don't seem to be any Symbols of that year about. A 2008 one should retail around £29k with average motorhome miles of about 30k and in nice condition. Higher miles, wear and tear and lack of service history should reduce those values.

The high roof disappeared and the new layout appeared in 2013MY
I have just purchased a 2002 with 28000 miles privately for £15000,,BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm

bertb wrote:I thought I had posted another message but cannot find it so here's an update. Upped our budget so looking at newer vans. So shortlist now is Stratford,Symbol,Dorset,Trigano Tribute and maybe Romahome R30 (not seen one in the flesh yet) All around 2010/11. I didn't realise the Stratford was on the MWB. And it looks as though the floor level/hightop change was about that time, both Symbol and Stratford have the steps up to the cab. My wife has mobility problems so I'm hoping I can make a short ramp to help her. Mind you once she's in the cab she stays there 'til we get back to site!
Just been looking at 2011 Symbols and seems the floor is level, 'ish. So looks more likely it's now at the top of the list. Especially as the Stratford only has a double bed choice.
Don't touch Trigano.Had a 650 new in 2008,,,no insulation,upholstery rubbish and would not touch new shape Fiat again. To many flashing lights. Nice to drive but didn't trust it.Sold it after 6 months,,BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next