The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL Drain Pipes

+3
Gromit
kaspian
head_shot
7 posters

Go down

Warwick XL Drain Pipes Empty Warwick XL Drain Pipes

Post by head_shot Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 pm

I just replaced the grey waste water drain pipe for the third time today after it split and dumped the tank contents. Twice previously, more or less the same thing has happened. In addition to this, the blue fresh water pipe has been replaced for the same reason. Am I just unlucky or have others experienced the same problem? The whole design looks a bit like a cost cutting after thought. Has anyone fitted a more robust solution after a similar experience to me?
head_shot
head_shot

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Drain Pipes Empty Re: Warwick XL Drain Pipes

Post by kaspian Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi, just bought a 2014 Kemerton and the waste hose from tank to drain tap is split dumping the waste tank contents so yes it must be a weak hose that splits around one of the corrugations. I have taped it using self amalgamating tape until I figure out a better solution. Quality design yet again! Our previous coachbuilt had the same hose but the tap end was fixed so the hose did not have to move- no leaks in 8 years of use . The Kemerton like yours is a van conversion with the tap end clipped by a terry clip to the sill which when unclipped to empty allows the hose to flex.perhaps there is a more robust hose available in the correct diameter?
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 pm

kaspian wrote:perhaps there is a more robust hose available in the correct diameter?
CAK Tanks may well have one. They carry a lot of water fixtures and fittings.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Thanks Gromit, I've used them in the past. It is on my 'to do ' list so will measure the existing hose and see what is available.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:28 am

It's on mine as well Kaspian.

Messrs Autosleepers advertise a large bore, "fast draining" waste pipe. If they had fitted a small bore, slow one I can only imagine how many days (weeks?) it would take to drain!!!! shrugg

I'm wondering whether to replace it with a 40mm tube. I need to find out if Sikaflex will bond a spigot onto the underside of the tank (with a few screws to help) and I have yet to find a big tap to fit. I know they exist because I have seen them on foreign vans.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:42 am

Gromit wrote:

Messrs Autosleepers advertise a large bore, "fast draining" waste pipe. If they had fitted a small bore, slow one I can only imagine how many days (weeks?) it would take to drain!!!! shrugg

I have the big one - 3" diameter. I had to make a modified cover to slow the drain rate down as the 'deluge' is embarrassing in certain locations. MOst of the time though its great.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:47 am

On my Nuevo 2002, the waste and fresh waste were fitted into the skirts of the van, looked nice but they ran uphill so draining was slow and not completely emptying. For the waste, I made a bracket and fitted a new 3/4 inch straight through plumbing fitting with a rubber car type hose which now sits below the skirt. The tap has a coloured lever so easy to spot if it is open or closed. The flow is now fast and easy and a hose can be attached if needed. I also attached the spareline from the spare to the bracket, makes checking the tyre pressure much easier
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:58 am

My problem is the small size of the spigot in the tank, as the waste water will only flow as fast as the narrowest point. The rest of the modification is easy as Redwink has just described.

Can I bring myself to cut a big hole in the bottom of the waste tank when I'm not sure if I can successfully attach a bigger spigot?? I really don't want to drop the tank if I can possibly avoid it, but it's very embarrassing having to stand and wait at the dump point for literally up to five minutes.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Just checked under the van, the bore is 3/4 of an inch, maybe the spigot has a taper on it which could be removed. I have just taken a picture of the waste, if anyone wants to see it just DM me. It's just I don't want to use the 3rd party to upload to the forum.
If the spigot attached to the tank is not a self tapper the nut behind could drop into the tank if not glued to the tank. It's quite possible the gunk build up might just hold it in place, but it is a risk
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Redwink wrote:It's just I don't want to use the 3rd party to upload to the forum.
You don't have to. I only just found the feature myself.

Click on "Host an image" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and you can either drag and drop from your desktop, or search for an image in your directories. I just used it to show a copy of the icon.

Very handy. Using a 3rd party is a bit of a faff if you just want a quick upload.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Working in a factory today and saw a possible solution . It was a clear plastic braid reinforced hose in a large diameter that used to be known as petroflex when sold for cars which invariably hardened when supplying carburettors with fuel in your car years ago. It may be available in just the inside diameter we require. Will look online and at a few marine chandlers as it should last a good deal longer than what is fitted at the moment. My other solution was to use the original type hose to feed a caravan waste spigot with flap cover fixed to the sill via an in line on/off tap. That way the pipe does not have to move/flex  and emptying would be a case of plugging in a length of normal waste hose onto the spigot and then open the tap.easy! longer lengths could then reach the  drain of  a fully serviced pitch or reach a hard to access drain at a motorhome  service point.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Makes a lot of sense Kaspian. Good luck with the search - I shall watch with interest.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Here is the photo, you might want to try fishpond suppliers for the hose, or if you see a water services van, ask,the driver for a couple of feet of pipe they use for household supply, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by G8UZQ Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 am

First season with new warwick duo and had waste pipe split three weeks ago, just returned from weekend away and water pipe split close to tank.
Did anyone find a replacement flexible pipe? And does anyone know the correct internal diameter?
I do not really want a fixed point if I can avoid it as storage space is limited on van conversions. I do carry a 2m length of caravan type waste pipe for use on CL
G8UZQ
G8UZQ

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:40 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have a read of the thread linked above

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 am

For those who are content with the weaker 28mm hose at £1.89 a metre:
Mel
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:11 pm

The tap will fit straight onto the tank, my blue one is like this, you have to reach under the van to do it but I always drain the fresh water when I get home, the waste needs to be on a flex as you access it more often. If the flex isn’t flexible enough then when you unclip the tap from the sill clip you might detach the hose from the taper fitting on the tank. This it would seem is why Autosleeper use that very flexible fragile hose. But if you have a problem with a split hose whilst using the van it’s easy to just put the tap straight onto the tank without the hose until you can make a more permanent repair.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanx for the tip Toffee I'll remember it when my hose splits again.
Mel
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Mel, while  researching all the options for replacement hose I fitted the same flexible caravan hose as a temporary measure . This is still performing perfectly well over a year later. I was considering automotive silicon hose but makers said they did not recommend it due to decreased flexibility at that diameter. That option cost £35 per hose, the caravan waste hose was £2 , very flexible and cheap enough to replace if damaged . It is slightly oversize but easily sleeved to get a perfect fit.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi Kaspian Thank you for pointing out an alternative option, ie. Caravan Waste Water Hose. Spotted a few on Ebay, some with the required 28mm internal diameter-though more expensive than what you paid.
Eg. Caravan waste water hose. 28mm Waste Pipe 4 Metres Long £9.90 Free postage:
Note: I do not know or wish to promote this supplier.
Mel
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down