The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle

+2
Gromit
Pauljeff
6 posters

Go down

2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle Empty 2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle

Post by Pauljeff Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 pm

I’m having problems with water pooling in the offside scuttle it’s not draining away as it does on the near side.
Can’t see any drain hole in the scuttle as I can’t see underneath the wiper arm any ides were about sit is so I can try too unblock it
Thanks in advance for any advice
Pauljeff
Pauljeff

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle Empty Re: 2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi PJ

First advice - don't bother with the "Description" line when composing a post. It doesn't show on the pages most members use. (It's a pain, but we are stuck with it. I've edited your title to show the detail.)

Isn't the drain hole very close to, and just in front of the wiper arm shaft?

Remembering back to the previous van, there's probably a long tube leading down from the drain hole to a rubber pinch valve at the bottom, draining into the wheel compartment. This pinch valve is tight enough to trap leaves and debris, so if you poke something long and fairly pliable (like a length of small bore pvc tubing) down the drain hole, you should be able to clear the blockage.

When cleared, stuff cut down bottle brushes into the drain holes, and you'll get no more blockages. Easy to pull out and swill off whenever they begin to clog.

Hope this helps
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle Empty Re: 2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle

Post by Pauljeff Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Many thanks for the help will take a look,just been out to the van and was able to clear the blockage will try and find some bottle brushes to finish the job 
Hanks

Last edited by Pauljeff on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more detail)
Pauljeff
Pauljeff

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Dave,

LOVE the bottle brush solution.

Will check my Sprinter scuttle and add this sensible option if I can.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 am

Pauljeff wrote:I’m having problems with water pooling in the offside scuttle it’s not draining away as it does on the near side.
Can’t see any drain hole in the scuttle as I can’t see underneath the wiper arm any ides were about sit is so I can try too unblock it
I too had this problem, in addition, the rubber grommet on the end of the drain pipe was damaged on both sides, probably by a previous owner poking it.

I removed the grommet by pulling down on the pipe from under the bonnet.

Next I got 2 plastic car number plate bolts and drilled them through, 3mm I think. Also ground away the end of the threaded part so the tube would push fit over it.

Drilled the grommet hole to 6.5mm to allow the bolt to be fitted.

Fitted bolt, fastened it underneath with car number plate plastic nut.

Pushed tube onto bolt, job done!

Sounds much harder than it really was. Drainage is much better now.
2014 Warwick duo. Drain hole in scuttle 248932417
Paul PM me if you need more
IanH
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:41 am

Hi Ian

The drain holes have got a lot bigger than yours, but I can't remember when they were changed. The hole now is somewhere around 20mm diameter - without going out with me ruler to check.

I don't see any reason why the ridiculously small holes shouldn't be drilled out, and fitted with a spigot for a drain tube to take the water away from the underbonnet gubbins.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:09 am

Gromit wrote:Hi Ian

The drain holes have got a lot bigger than yours, but I can't remember when they were changed. The hole now is somewhere around 20mm diameter - without going out with me ruler to check.

I don't see any reason why the ridiculously small holes shouldn't be drilled out, and fitted with a spigot for a drain tube to take the water away from the underbonnet gubbins.
Dave, I think you're thinking about the wrong holes, there are 3 on my 2011 Boxer, the big one you refer to to the drivers side as you look at it then 2 small ones each side of the vehicle, the scuttle is divided into 3 parts.
The small ones are what I was referring to and, indeed, have modified. They are difficult to access but the triangular panels which limit access are easy to remove once 2 screws holding them are removed, they're under the bonnet.

If these holes were simply drilled out, as you suggest, then the rain water would pour over the power steering tank one side and the fuse box the other!

I am happy to supply the modified number plate bolts to anyone who wants them

May also take some pics tomorrow to let you see what I mean

Bw
IanH
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:13 am

IanH wrote:
If these holes were simply drilled out, as you suggest, then the rain water would pour over the power steering tank one side and the fuse box the other!
Hi Ian

I think you missed this bit, " . . . and fitted with a spigot for a drain tube to take the water away from the underbonnet gubbins"

The whole scuttle was a poor design before it was modified. It seems OK now, with very little water getting into the engine compartment.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:00 am

Pauljeff wrote:I’m having problems with water pooling in the offside scuttle it’s not draining away as it does on the near side.
Paul, some pics below
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Remove these 2 screws, this is the worst side, the driver side

Sorry for double pic I have no idea how to remove an accidental second one! The panel is still held by 2 poppers underneath pull up gently and these will release

Double pic again and not a good one at that, beginning to wish I hadn't started this now! This side is unmodified and this poor pic shows a cable tie I have in the drain hole, water can still get past but I can used the cable tie to help it

This, equally bad pic shows the relationship of the drain hole to the wiper shaft

This shows the pax side, and is my modification using the number plate bolt described earlier in this post

Hope this clears things up a bit, sorry for the cr8p pics but at least I hope you get the jist allthumbz allthumbz

Last edited by Peter Brown on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Duplicate pictures deleted)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 am

Not my mod but was their when it was done so sorry no pictures
Were the tiny hole was hole drilled out to accommodated standard hose pipe (tight fit)
The hose was long enough to bypass the engine bay altogether and came out to the bottom of the wheel arch. The pipe was shaped to match the scuttle and superglued in place

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 am

Heanorboy wrote:Not my mod but was their when it was done so sorry no pictures
Were the tiny hole was hole drilled out to accommodated standard hose pipe (tight fit)
The hose was long enough to bypass the engine bay altogether and came out to the bottom of the wheel arch. The pipe was shaped to match the scuttle and superglued in place
That sounds like the perfect solution, although I might be tempted to use a slightly wider than standard pipe. A big 'ole is far less likely to clog than a narrow one - like the ridiculously small original.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauljeff Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:19 am

Thanks for all the ideas
Pauljeff
Pauljeff

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Incidentally on the occasions that I do have to clear the holes, I use the airbed attachment which came with my tyre air compressor, this lives in the vehicle. It blows out any gunge with hardly any effort and doesn't damage the tubing/drian hole by poking it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by hat004 Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 pm

My drain holes use to clog up all the time. Once I got them cleaned out my solution was to find a long thin wire tie and inset it right down into the drain hole and leave it there. They now don't clog up so frequently and when the do it's just a matter of stopping the wipers in the vertical position and get hold of the square bit on the wire tie and give it a pull up and down.
hat004

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauljeff Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Hi hat004 liked your idea and have used plastic cable ties cut down to length and inserted into drainage hole will wait and see how successful this works out
Pauljeff
Pauljeff

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:18 pm

IanH wrote:...I use the airbed attachment which came with my tyre air compressor, this lives in the vehicle. It blows out any gunge with hardly any effort and doesn't damage the tubing/drian hole by poking it.
Same here, does the job...airbed attachment that came with a plastic hand held tyre pump, purchased from the pound shop.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON

Back to top Go down