The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL battery drain.

+2
Charliefarlie
greycaster
6 posters

Go down

Warwick XL battery drain. Empty Warwick XL battery drain.

Post by greycaster Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:02 pm

Both my leisure and vehicle batteries are draining over two to three weeks, I have a 80W solar panel fitted but I guess at this time of year there won't be too much output from the panel. To try and conserve the batteries I was going to switch off the main breaker that is located inside the panel under the rear offside seat. Question is will my solar panel continue to charge the batteries ? Also is there any other systems affected by this switch? I would be grateful for some feedback.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL battery drain. Empty Re: Warwick XL battery drain.

Post by Charliefarlie Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Have you done or considered doing a test for a parasitic drain on you battery ? It should not be going down that fast.

This may help
Link
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:36 pm

I also have an 80w solar panel and both batteries are kept fully charged. So you do need to check for drain.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Not sure what you mean by "main breaker" - if you mean the combined RCD and mains power switch, this should have no effect at all unless you are on mains hookup.

If instead you mean the main power switch on the power controller, have you checked what it says in the Owner's Manual? I don't know what make/model of power control system is fitted to a 2015 Warwick XL, but in recent years A/S have been pretty good at documenting this. Certainly all of the higher-end Sargent controllers with built-in 2-channel solar controllers have been able to provide solar charging to both batteries with the power control system turned off - indeed in the examples I've looked at recently it is ~recommended~ that it is turned off while the van is in storage.

[Edit: just checked the manual for one of the current models and the power controller on that - an EC500 - will only direct the solar power to the leisure battery while the controller is in Shutdown mode - which does not seem to match your symptoms.]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by greycaster Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:01 am

I have managed to find the info, the solar panel will be directed to the required battery depending on the state of charge. But to work intelligently the shut down button needs to be left on, otherwise only the leisure battery will be charged. So it is recommended that you switch off the power in storage but you should leave it on if you have a solar panel. I have managed to find what was draining my batteries, the heating fan was on (doh).
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Member Age : 70
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL battery drain. Empty Petermac

Post by petermac Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:33 am

greycaster wrote:Both my leisure and vehicle batteries are draining over two to three weeks, I have a 80W solar panel fitted but I guess at this time of year there won't be too much output from the panel. To try and conserve the batteries I was going to switch off the main breaker that is located inside the panel under the rear offside seat. Question is will my solar panel continue to charge the batteries ? Also is there any other systems affected by this switch? I would be grateful for some feedback.
Hi just noticed your comments, I had a similar problem with a Warwick Duo which had a reversing camera fitted at time of purchase , this was the problem it was wired wrongly at time of fitting and was causing the battery to drain as camera although showing off when ignition was off it was still drawing excessive curent to drain the batterys over a short period now rectified with a wiring adjustment.
petermac
petermac

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel6855 Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:53 am

How did you find the cause of your drain and pinpoint it to the camera wiring?

David
Angel6855
Angel6855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down