The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank drain pipes

5 posters

Go down

Tank drain pipes Empty Tank drain pipes

Post by kevjan Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:26 am

Hi, i have ordered all new pipes and fittings for my waste and fresh drain's. There are a some adaptor's in the pipe's that go in the tap's and an elbow coming out of fresh tank, the question is do i put glue on these or just push fit. The lady in Auto Sleeper part's think's they are push fit and only put jubilee clips on the pipes. Has any one else replaced there pipes. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Tank drain pipes Empty Re: Tank drain pipes

Post by iandsm Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:50 pm

They are push fit, or at least mine are. I replaced the hose with something stronger in PVC food grade and I found that the push fit is fine and it doesn't leak. I think this arrangement is better than fixing or gluing because if you are on rough ground or perhaps go over a high speed bump and happen to snag the pipe the likelihood is the pipe will come off and there will be no  damage. Should the pipe be glued or fixed I suppose the small outlet at the tank could be damaged or broke off which would be expensive to repair.
iandsm
iandsm

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Auto-Sleepers
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by YorkshaPud Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:54 pm

I’ve replaced these previously. Second or third time lucky they’ve stayed on just as push on - securing further had crossed my mind. The jubilee clips on mine (2019 Warwick xl) are only on the pipe fittings to secure them to the hose, not on the tank end, just push into there. Currently no plans to secure anything further. I have replaced one with a silicone hose as it was melting as it was close to the exhaust (think it’s the waste one). Hope that helps a little

Last edited by YorkshaPud on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
YorkshaPud
YorkshaPud

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:55 pm

Just three general but important points - with any push-fit connection, you must ensure that the correct length is inserted into the fitting (too short means likely leaks), secondly when the tube (pipe) has been inserted, pull backwards to lock the fitting grips, lastly, the tube being inserted must be clean without any debris which could compromise the sealing 'O' ring in the fitting. Glueing can make a connection too rigid thus less able to handle vibrations.
orac
orac

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:12 pm

Yes with the type of push fit you are talking about which i think are called speed fit indeed you do push in then then pull out but the ones on the drain are just a straight push in joint no "O" ring just a straight push in. I have had no problem with the old stuff leaking it was just a thought about gluing as a precaution. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:25 pm

The Whale push-fits have a metal grip ring too
orac
orac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:12 pm

orac
this is about the waste pipe not the pressure fresh water pipes
yes you can glue them as I have shown on my kemerton xl improvement post .you need to put p clips to help secure the pipes better .lots of people have the waste fittings come apart but not after my mod and securing them better helps a lot
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:23 pm

ahh-waste pipe totally different agreed. Insufficient lubrication to the thinking veins. I must go off and remedy the situation without delay but with ice!
orac
orac

Male

Back to top Go down