The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1999 Boxer Harmony

3 posters

Go down

1999 Boxer Harmony Empty 1999 Boxer Harmony

Post by Terry Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Its me again, can anyone help with getting my drivers seat re-padded, seems like its had some 'interesting' bottoms on it over the years! The covers are now obsolete need to be carefully lifted and re-used. Any ideas ? Will I have to go to a scrappie and transfer the covers ?
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

1999 Boxer Harmony Empty Re: 1999 Boxer Harmony

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:21 pm

I would have thought that any local upholsterer could do the job. I know they can recover car seats so I'm sure they could re-pad them using your existing covers.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

1999 Boxer Harmony Empty Boxer drivers seat

Post by Terry Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for that, I thought local upholsterers would only deal with domestic stuff, worth a try though, I think there some mobile ones around here.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

1999 Boxer Harmony Empty Re: 1999 Boxer Harmony

Post by Bartfarst Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:41 pm

The front seats in my Harmony went the same way after about 20,000 miles or so.

On investigation I found that the sprung mesh on the underside of the seat had partially cut like a cheese wire into the underside of the foam squab in the seat base. I addressed the problem by introducing a thin sheet of plywood between the squab and the sprung mesh supporting it. It's tricky to get the size of the board right, and thick plywood lacking any flexibility will make the seat uncomfortably hard. I would recommend that you experiment first by cutting a couple of sheets of cardboard to the right shape for use as a template for the plywood. Inserting the cardboard will also give you a pointer as to how stiff/how many sheets of ply you need to use. In fact the card may give you sufficient improvement on its own, but it may not last.

If anyone is interested, squabs of the two rear seats in the Harmony (where our two girls used to sit) also collapsed with little use. However me and the missus managed to unhook the strings connected to the buttons and remove/replace the foam in both of these seats. Though still tricky, this has to be a much easier job than dealing with the front seat bases.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

1999 Boxer Harmony Empty Harmony cab seat

Post by Terry Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for the info, that's extremely useful and makes sense as the side bits of the squab are moving about. In the meantime my dealer, P&P Campers has put me onto a marine upholsterer on Gosport Quay who also does hand rails which will help Mrs H stroke disabled) get in and out and around the van. A bit off-topic, but I've also found a folding dog ramp to help her as well- stop sniggering at the back, it takes 19st of which Mrs H is less than half that weight. We are determined to make this all work.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down