The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashboard lights on 2014 Warwick xl

+17
Maasai Warrior
chalkywhite
roan
MelB
inspiredron
makmps
D40DJH
Pauljeff
DaveKilroy
rgermain
Nigel54
Cymro
Charliefarlie
Spospe
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
GCCrow
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dashboard lights on 2014 Warwick xl - Page 2 Empty Re: Dashboard lights on 2014 Warwick xl

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am

roan wrote:There was a known issue with the dash cluster on a lot of 2014 models and that I whey they redesigned the panels

I completely agree with you roan. At the time we were hearing stories about the clusters being full of duff Chinese components, and Cartronix was replacing them with better European ones! Good old Peugeots cost cutting again! I sure someone on this well informed forum will try to correct me!

I only keep the inside of the van warm, snug and hopefully free of condensation as common sense and as a consequence of a bit of scaremongery linking condensation with cluster problems, appearing on a few motorhome forums! Me trying to minimise any future problems!

All the best 

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Dashboard lights on 2014 Warwick xl - Page 2 Empty Re: Dashboard lights on 2014 Warwick xl

Post by -mojo- Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

I doubt the cause is condensation - there are lots of other places where similar circuit board construction is used in cars, and they don't suffer condensation issues.

Unfortunately, as the last poster says, it's more likely to be cheaply made components, where Far Eastern suppliers have decided to make themselves a few fractions of a penny extra per component by using inferior materials. Cheap capacitors are the main issue - these have been responsible for the premature failure of millions of power supplies, for example, during the last decade or so.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 pm

-mojo- wrote:I doubt the cause is condensation - there are lots of other places where similar circuit board construction is used in cars, and they don't suffer condensation issues.

Unfortunately, as the last poster says, it's more likely to be cheaply made components, where Far Eastern suppliers have decided to make themselves a few fractions of a penny extra per component by using inferior materials. Cheap capacitors are the main issue - these have been responsible for the premature failure of millions of power supplies, for example, during the last decade or so.
I'm not sure thatthe comparison with cars is fair. It appears that white vans don't suffer from our dashboard problems.  I think that the root cause is the long periods of non-use of motorhomes.  Cartronics were supposed to have replaced ny "cheap Chinese LED's with better ones - the dashboard went belly up again.  As I have said before my hunch is that it is tracking across some adjacent tracks or maybe components due to a certain amount of condensation whwre the dashboard is in the most vulnerable part of the vehicle, just under the windscreen. Maybe an outside silver screen would help - I don't know. Last winter I dried the van out with a dehumidifier and avoided excessive condensation on th einside of the windscreen - but my cluster still went bad again.
I don't know the full answer but bringing the cluster indoors might help!  It won't hinder, other than losing the trip data and the time.  The odometer reading is preserved, I understand.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:42 pm

scratch head
A number of reply's to this topic seem to imply that fitting a screen cover helps to reduce condensation in the van. I agree that it will help to reduce condensation on the windscreen. If the humid air in the van is not able to condense on the windscreen the result would be to raise the humidity levels in the van. The humid air will then look for somewhere else to condense, our dashboard maybe.  I dont cover my windscreen as I feel its a good indicator of the humidity within the van and the need to open it up to air it. If you opt to heat the van and use a dehumidifier then a screen cover is a good idear to help retain the heat.   Any thoughts ?.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Just my pennyworth. I had the same problem and the so-called extended warranty didn't want to know. But the dealer finally sorted it out at no cost to me, except transport to and from dealership. It was sent for repair to Cartronix, I think. The van was just out of Peugeot warranty but they said they knew about it but not interested in helping. Way the world works these days. That was 18 months ago, so far so good.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

chalkywhite wrote:scratch head
A number of reply's to this topic seem to imply that fitting a screen cover helps to reduce condensation in the van. I agree that it will help to reduce condensation on the windscreen. If the humid air in the van is not able to condense on the windscreen the result would be to raise the humidity levels in the van. The humid air will then look for somewhere else to condense, our dashboard maybe.  I dont cover my windscreen as I feel its a good indicator of the humidity within the van and the need to open it up to air it. If you opt to heat the van and use a dehumidifier then a screen cover is a good idear to help retain the heat.   Any thoughts ?.
Not sure Chalky.

Without the use of an external cover in winter, I'd be more inclined to worry about condensation on the windscreen running down into the dash. Even wiping it carefully with kitchen roll disturbs the condensate so it runs down in rivulets. It's impossible to catch it all, even with a Karcher window vacuum!

Can't do the gubbins under there any good at all.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Not sure if condensation is the Bower dash light cause but it doesn't happen with a MB base vehicle, so poor quality components/circuit boards in the Boxer does seem a primary cause.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Don't hold back Peter - say what you think!  snigger

You couldn't be a teensy bit biased by any chance?  Whistle1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Not biased at all Dave. MB Sprinters are not immune from some repeated problems, EGR valves, engine earth straps amongst them, but I have not heard of any dash light problem as seem to beset Boxers.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Not sure if condensation is the Bower dash light cause but it doesn't happen with a MB base vehicle, so poor quality components/circuit boards in the Boxer does seem a primary cause.
I don't see you as biased. I suspect that the root cause is in the design of the board which could affect things more than the quality of individual components. If tracks on the board are too close together then condensation could lead to the problems experienced. However, dim LEDs could be avoided if they needed at least a threshold voltage to illuminate which is greater than that available through a board with this type of fault.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 am

I was taking the wee wee Ron!  content
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

Gromit wrote:I was taking the wee wee Ron!  content
So was I  hugegrins  - but the main point was that I think it is probably board design rather than components.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 pm

This will more than likely cause my dash to fail again, but here goes.

Bought Warwick brand new Feb.2016, took it back March 2016 with dash lights dim as mentioned above, Peugeot (Hamble Motors) changed out dash FOC, no problems since. They stated a faulty batch.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 pm

rgermain wrote:This will more than likely cause my dash to fail again, but here goes.

Bought Warwick brand new Feb.2016, took it back March 2016 with dash lights dim as mentioned above, Peugeot (Hamble Motors) changed out dash FOC, no problems since. They stated a faulty batch.
-----------
Richard
If you use your van over winter as a runabout it probably won't go again - just as they don't with white van man!  It's when it's a coachbuilt and it's laid up that the problems manifest themselves.  You bought your van in February - new - but how long had it been standing since the chassis was made?

Last edited by inspiredron on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added extra sentence)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 am

The instrument clusters were all supplied to Peugeot through Fiat and were used in Ducato's which also suffered the same problems. Twas nothing to do with damp and standing about, that was causing the problem. The instrument clusters suffered with bad/ dry joints in the soldering on the PCB's which resulted in earth leakage and resistance through to other bulbs in the circuits. In my case on a 2014 Boxer it was the brake pad warning light glowing dimly, and a new cluster unit was fitted under warranty. Was told by my dealer the warranty claims had cost Peugeot a fortune in claims settlement. I understand that Peugeot have now cut all ties with Fiat!!
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Mindhyg wrote:Twas nothing to do with damp and standing about, that was causing the problem. The instrument clusters suffered with bad/ dry joints in the soldering on the PCB's which resulted in earth leakage and resistance through to other bulbs in the circuits.

That's interesting - if true it suggests that DIY repair for those outside warranty should be possible and cheap. Generally you should be able to locate suspect joints visually, though a small number of SMD component types can be difficult in that some can completely cover the solder pads. Are there any reports of successful DIY repairs?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2