The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blown air heater fuse

3 posters

Go down

Blown air heater fuse Empty Blown air heater fuse

Post by Celticbiker Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Well here we are are at the start of the new season.
A fortnight ago I gave the van check over, oil change and new radiator ready for the first weekend away.
Shake down run went well and everything was working ok.
Four days later off we set for a weekend around Lincoln/ Mablethorpe.
First stop off at a friends house we put the heater on for the dog and nothing, no lights, no fan, nothing.
I've got a new control unit from propex just in case but on checking today there seems to be no power to the controller.
The wiring instructions for the new controller says there should be an inline fuse on the two core supply. I want to check this fuse but have no idea where it is can anyone shed light on it's location.
It's not in the fuse bank over the sink BTW.
Van is a 1996 Transit based Duetto.

Blown air heater fuse 2014-010
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Blown air heater fuse Empty Re: Blown air heater fuse

Post by brodco Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi  wave
Celticbiker wrote:The wiring instructions for the new controller says there should be an inline fuse on the two core supply.

Is it the original heater? I had mine replaced a few years ago but the original was a Carver Compact 1600W( now Propex). I don't remember it having a two core supply cable to the control unit. There was a two core supply cable to the heater.

As I remember (it was six years ago so my memory may not be 100% accurate but it should be close) there was a four way cable on the control unit that went back to a four way connector on the heater. The connector was accessible through the inspection hatch under the bench set.

Two of the connections were 12V and 0V (the same 12V and 0V that powered the heater). When the thermostat was "ON" the control unit simply switched the 12V onto on one of the other two contacts on the connector. I can't remember which but I do remember that by bridging the two connections at the heater end I could force the heater to run permanently and independently of the control unit.

I don't remember any separate fuse between the heater and the control unit but as I say it was six years ago. Probably worth checking that volts are getting to the heater. If not at least you'll be able to get an idea as to where the supply cable goes.

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:07 am

If it's a power supply with an in-line fuse it is likely to lead directly from the positive terminal of the leisure battery and the fuse will be in the cable close to the battery. I have observed this convention on two motorhomes, my present model being a Topaz.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:44 pm

Just an update for anyone it might benefit.
The problem was in the Zig unit.
The fuse for the heater is the middle one on the right, there was continuity through the fuse but not to the the back of the output side of the fuse holder.
Turned out that the rivet that holds it together had obviously broken at some time and been replaced with a brass m3 nut and screw, how could that go wrong you may ask.
Apparently the threads had oxidised enough to prevent the current passing through.
I now have a brand new thermostat that is surplus to requirements if anyone should need one.
It will fit,

Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down